• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pictures of Formicariums and Outworlds

photo pictures formicarium outworld

869 replies to this topic

#541 Offline Spazmops - Posted September 4 2020 - 5:37 AM

Spazmops

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 558 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

It's not fully done but that's my ant terrarium I'm working on.
It's gonna house messor barbarus and I made all of that from scratch.

You can't see it too well now but there's a cave in front that I gonna light up with LEDs and put in some sort of monster or demon looking thing that holds a great vine growing from the cave all the way up to the tree and the vine grows hangmans nooses down the tree that I already put up to see what it'll look like.

Its not the typical setup but I like making those and they work pretty well.
Only made one before this one

I love this idea, have you worked on it at all recently?

Co-owner and founder of Mountain Myrmeculture and The Menagerie Discord Server

Ants I have:

1 Formica fusca group- 0 workers

1 Tetramorium immigrans colony-20 workers

1 Dorymyrmex insanus- 1 queen, used to have workers

1 large P. occidentalis colony- around 50 workers, plenty of brood

#542 Offline zantezaint - Posted September 4 2020 - 6:25 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

The noose.  :o

• mannac and mantisgal like this

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#543 Offline steelplant - Posted October 8 2020 - 11:12 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

I've been working on my formicarium design, mostly to make sure that the hydration is safe and dependable. I experimented with making concrete, mixing the cement with coir and vermiculite. This nest contains both, in a ratio 1:2:2 cement:coir:vermiculite by volume. Mix together then add water until it's the right consistency. The amount of this depends on how wet the coir is. 

I poured the concrete into a small Ikea Godmorgon box lined with a plastic bag, both oiled for lubrication. It doesn't matter that the plastic doesn't let the concrete fill out the box 100% as you can just turn the overlapped bits into tunnels. Any other wrinkles just make the concrete look like rock. The nest isn't painted, dyed or anything. 

I demoulded the nest a day or two after pouring, then misted it every now and again for a few days. Then I carved the tunnels, chambers and test tube hydration hole with a screw driver and small drill bit. There are tunnels that meet up underground underneath the hydration hole, so the ants always have a water source and can hydrate the nest themselves. Any extra hydration is achieved by squirting drops around the test tube when needed. If anyone's used this kind of hydration before, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it as a system.

This is designed for my Lasius flavus and umbratus, who like to be under the ground and don't need much of an outworld. You could always add another outworld for a busier species. There will be a port hole in the side of the box for attaching an outworld or test tube.

The dish is made from Fimo clay. It's ant safe.

I've only been keeping ants since May, so would welcome any feedback. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

IMG_20201008_143622960.jpg

IMG_20201008_143644834.jpg

IMG_20201008_143703040.jpg

IMG_20201008_143717426.jpg

IMG_20201008_143738340.jpg

• ANTdrew and Boog like this

#544 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 8 2020 - 3:57 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've been working on my formicarium design, mostly to make sure that the hydration is safe and dependable. I experimented with making concrete, mixing the cement with coir and vermiculite. This nest contains both, in a ratio 1:2:2 cement:coir:vermiculite by volume. Mix together then add water until it's the right consistency. The amount of this depends on how wet the coir is. 

I poured the concrete into a small Ikea Godmorgon box lined with a plastic bag, both oiled for lubrication. It doesn't matter that the plastic doesn't let the concrete fill out the box 100% as you can just turn the overlapped bits into tunnels. Any other wrinkles just make the concrete look like rock. The nest isn't painted, dyed or anything. 

I demoulded the nest a day or two after pouring, then misted it every now and again for a few days. Then I carved the tunnels, chambers and test tube hydration hole with a screw driver and small drill bit. There are tunnels that meet up underground underneath the hydration hole, so the ants always have a water source and can hydrate the nest themselves. Any extra hydration is achieved by squirting drops around the test tube when needed. If anyone's used this kind of hydration before, I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on it as a system.

This is designed for my Lasius flavus and umbratus, who like to be under the ground and don't need much of an outworld. You could always add another outworld for a busier species. There will be a port hole in the side of the box for attaching an outworld or test tube.

The dish is made from Fimo clay. It's ant safe.

I've only been keeping ants since May, so would welcome any feedback. Thanks for taking the time to read this.

attachicon.gifIMG_20201008_143622960.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20201008_143644834.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20201008_143703040.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20201008_143717426.jpg

attachicon.gifIMG_20201008_143738340.jpg

that looks great! i would be willing to sell it on our website, antsdakota, if you are interested?

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#545 Offline AleeGuy - Posted October 8 2020 - 6:23 PM

AleeGuy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
I was making a stronghold looking formicarium and I was planning to do it this year but my ants decided to hibernate so I think I will resume working on that on February. And probably buy a hydrostone for that not plaster

Edited by AleeGuy, October 8 2020 - 6:23 PM.

#546 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 8 2020 - 6:24 PM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
It’s best to get to work now so you can perfect it since your colony will need to move in almost immediately.
  • AleeGuy likes this
We don’t talk about that

#547 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 9 2020 - 6:00 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

plus since it is winter and your ants are hibernating, you will have extra time.

• AleeGuy likes this

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#548 Offline steelplant - Posted October 9 2020 - 7:33 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts

that looks great! i would be willing to sell it on our website, antsdakota, if you are interested?

Cheers mate! I'm based in UK, and postage across the pond is insanely expensive, but I'll look into it, and really appreciate the offer. I haven't finished the hydration testing yet, then I'll need to test them with actual ants and everything here is going into hibernation, so I wouldn't be able to sell them til middle of next year anyway. 

Good luck with the Ants Dakota project! Great to see it all taking shape.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#549 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 9 2020 - 7:53 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Cheers mate! I'm based in UK, and postage across the pond is insanely expensive, but I'll look into it, and really appreciate the offer. I haven't finished the hydration testing yet, then I'll need to test them with actual ants and everything here is going into hibernation, so I wouldn't be able to sell them til middle of next year anyway. 

Good luck with the Ants Dakota project! Great to see it all taking shape.

too bad. they looked awesome!

#550 Offline CoolColJ - Posted October 10 2020 - 2:21 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

The Iridomyrmex queen I caught just before winter exploded into a colony of around 30 workers now... all in 3 months, damn fast!

Anyway their test tube was running low on water and it was time to feed them today, so i decided to test them in a gypsum nest I bought from Aliexpress last year.
It's a simple and cheap nest with a water space at the bottom that can hold enough water to last months.
And from testing, even without any vents or any contact with the nest itself, humidifies the whole nest to around 80% RH

The ants moved in within 15 mins of me tipping their test tube upside down into the nest top. And all moved in within 30 mins!

Seems more fun and interesting watching the ants interact to this 3D type nest than the usual flat vertical or horizontal style B)

I find it interesting that the queen prefers to stay in that narrow corridor at the top. She did explore around a bit :)

video
https://www.instagra.../p/CGKMty3A1AO/

Qb4yHEt.jpg

RCbW8gs.jpg

• TechAnt and mantisgal like this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#551 Offline steelplant - Posted October 12 2020 - 1:13 AM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
This looks great. Does the water hole at the bottom have a plug? I'm guessing the box has a lid? Do they bring the rubbish up to the top of the nest? Thanks for posting!

#552 Offline CoolColJ - Posted October 12 2020 - 3:28 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

This looks great. Does the water hole at the bottom have a plug? I'm guessing the box has a lid? Do they bring the rubbish up to the top of the nest? Thanks for posting!

Yes, you can see it in the pic.
There is another connection port in one of the lower chambers on the other side

Yes it has a lid with a inch hole covered by a fine mesh.

So far they have dumped some rubbish in the food bottle cap onto the honey, and side of it.
They also have another dump inside the nest, that looks like cotton from my water bottle cap and some dead body parts.

They also created a little bubble of water in the large claustral chamber they finally moved all the brood and queen into, against the acrylic wall :)

Dl4VNhc.jpg
  • TechAnt likes this

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#553 Offline steelplant - Posted October 14 2020 - 2:26 PM

steelplant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
Cool! I think I'll try this hydration method. Have struggled with making THA style water towers. I love watching the ants in these little vertical boxes.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#554 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 14 2020 - 6:07 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

Cool! I think I'll try this hydration method. Have struggled with making THA style water towers. I love watching the ants in these little vertical boxes.

tha style water towers are actually not super hard to make, i just question if they work. has anyone else tested them to make sure they work?

#555 Offline CoolColJ - Posted October 14 2020 - 8:42 PM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

tha style water towers are actually not super hard to make, i just question if they work. has anyone else tested them to make sure they work?

Working for me so far - LOL

And best of all since no water contact to nest substrate - less chance for mold outbreaks and other nasties like mites

Colony going strong so far a week in and liking it

Edited by CoolColJ, October 14 2020 - 8:43 PM.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Current ant colonies -

#556 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:10 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

And best of all since no water contact to nest substrate - less chance for mold outbreaks and other nasties like mites

i am just not sure if enough water evaporates to keep the ants moist. 

#557 Offline CoolColJ - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:14 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

I've tested it before with a probe and even in the outworld area the humidity reaches 80%RH.

The moisture builds up at the bottom and leaks through gaps on the side of the nest and through the gypsum itself

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Current ant colonies -

#558 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted October 15 2020 - 6:55 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts

I've tested it before with a probe and even in the outworld area the humidity reaches 80%RH.

The moisture builds up at the bottom and leaks through gaps on the side of the nest and through the gypsum itself

where would i get a probe to test that. i think that would be helpful for testing my brand of formicaria. Thanks!

#559 Offline aznphenom - Posted October 15 2020 - 7:48 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

The Iridomyrmex queen I caught just before winter exploded into a colony of around 30 workers now... all in 3 months, damn fast!

Anyway their test tube was running low on water and it was time to feed them today, so i decided to test them in a gypsum nest I bought from Aliexpress last year.
It's a simple and cheap nest with a water space at the bottom that can hold enough water to last months.
And from testing, even without any vents or any contact with the nest itself, humidifies the whole nest to around 80% RH

The ants moved in within 15 mins of me tipping their test tube upside down into the nest top. And all moved in within 30 mins!

Seems more fun and interesting watching the ants interact to this 3D type nest than the usual flat vertical or horizontal style B)

I find it interesting that the queen prefers to stay in that narrow corridor at the top. She did explore around a bit :)

video
https://www.instagra.../p/CGKMty3A1AO/

Qb4yHEt.jpg

RCbW8gs.jpg

Do you have a link to the nests?

Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#560 Offline CoolColJ - Posted October 15 2020 - 7:59 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts

where would i get a probe to test that. i think that would be helpful for testing my brand of formicaria. Thanks!

I got mine from Ebay

Do you have a link to the nests?

the person I bought it from no longer sells it, but this one has the same image as when I bought mine, but the nest I got is different.
The image looks to be an earlier version

https://www.aliexpre....1c9f4c4dSzVtDc

this is the one I got, same images
https://www.aliexpre....27424c4dPnuUhO

Current ant colonies -

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: photo, pictures, formicarium, outworld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users