• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Solenopsis spp. Journal (Cool Video)

solenopsis molesta solenopsis monomorium

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#81 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 2 2020 - 8:59 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Well the mystery Solenopsis, which I guess has to be truncorum has laid a bunch of eggs. She seems to be doing really well, and I really hope that she produces a huge, thriving colony.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#82 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted September 2 2020 - 9:16 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Solenopsis molesta is a fun species to keep because of their ravenous behavior. Enjoy!

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#83 Offline M_Ants - Posted September 2 2020 - 10:16 AM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Where'd you find the mystery solenopsis? 

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#84 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted September 2 2020 - 11:54 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Hehe... Mine has over 120 workers now...  :D

#85 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 2 2020 - 12:18 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Where'd you find the mystery solenopsis? 

My pool. I guess there is a possibility of it being Monomorium, but at only 3mm, and at this time of year, I find it unlikely. I need to get super close magnification of the antennal club to tell.

Hehe... Mine has over 120 workers now...  :D

Well, yeah, what do yours have, 12 queens? It would make sense they have 12 times as many workers lol.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#86 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 29 2020 - 11:06 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They are down to six workers, due to the fact that when I moved them half of the workers disappeared.

The truncorum has several pupae and larvae, and should have workers in a couple days. Pictures will come soon.

#87 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 3 2020 - 9:31 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They actually have 2 workers, one is just hiding in the brood pile.
  • TennesseeAnts and mantisgal like this

#88 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 3 2020 - 9:34 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Does anyone have any idea what sp. this is? I was under the impression truncorum had black workers. I will make sure to document this colony in great deatil, as I don't even know if this is a named sp.

#89 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 4 2020 - 7:53 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They have four workers now, and are caught up to the cf. tennesseensis, who had 2 more workers die. They enjoyed sugar water, and a termite worker. The queen's gaster is so bloated, it is longer than the rest of her body. I've never seen a Myrmecine ant swell to such a degree. These have several more workers on the way, and will hopefully continue their quick growth.

#90 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 8 2020 - 8:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, the common sp. isn't tenneseensis, as those are truly subterranean. These I have seen build small mounds, and occasionally out and about on the surface. The cf. truncorum have 7 workers now, and a bunch of brood. The common sp. has 6 workers, and a bit of brood as well. Overall, I would say the cf. truncorum is a lot more productive, and overall a better species to keep. As soon as food is placed in their test tube, they explore everywhere until they find it, and they have very cool coloration, a perfect light amber, whereas the common sp has a brownish abdomen, and is more dull. I hope I can catch I bunch more of these next year, and start more colonies that I can test with. This colony will simply be treated like a very special colony, and not messed with. Pictures will come for both colonies in the next update. I will also try to get pictures of the mounds of the common sp. if I can.

• M_Ants likes this

#91 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 1 2020 - 6:37 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Mystery Solenopsis: Around 10 workers, lots of brood. Grew slower, as they were off the heating cable for a time, due to flooding in their tube. They queen does seem to be the colony replete.
Commoners: 5 workers, no brood, not doing well. I just can't seem to do well with this species.

#92 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 1 2020 - 7:01 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

#93 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 5 2020 - 7:27 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

At over 13 workers now, with a pile of 30 eggs, and some larvae. Over twice as large in population as the commoners, as they shall now be known.
  • M_Ants likes this

#94 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2020 - 1:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Commoner queen died over a week ago, it was only a matter of time, they were doing terribly.

Truncorum colony is doing very well, except for the idiotic workers that tangle themselves in the dry cotton. The water in the test tube has almost dried out, so I will hopefully soon be able to move them into a formicarium, so that I can see them, and they aren't in danger of flooding every minute. I fed them a baby mealworm(4mm long, half a millimeter long), and a worker tackled it with surprising speed, and stung it repeatedly. Within minutes, it was pretty much completely paralyzed. Needless to say, this was very cool to watch. They had to employ the queen to be able to process it. They are eating it like a hot dog, head first. They eat maybe a millimeter per two hours so far it seems. Once I get some 50 micron mesh, a formicarium will be ready. This should hopefully make viewing them easier. If I do not move them into a formicarium, I will most certainly move them into a new test tube, one that is clean, unlike their current one which is very moldy, once the cotton is dry, and I can dump them into a new tube.

Edited by NickAnter, November 30 2020 - 2:29 PM.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#95 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted November 30 2020 - 2:23 PM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

If I do not move them into a formicarium, I will most certainly move them into a new test tube, one that is very moldy, once the cotton is dry, and I can dump them into a new tube.

I must be misunderstanding this, but are you going to to move them into a new test tube that is very moldy once the cotton in their current tube is dry?  :thinking:

• TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

My YouTube channel :)

#96 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2020 - 2:28 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

oops. I wasnt thinking straight when writing that...

Fixed. :facepalm:  %) 

Edited by NickAnter, November 30 2020 - 2:30 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Ants_Dakota and Swirlysnowflake like this

#97 Offline NickAnter - Posted November 30 2020 - 7:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Oh, and a bit of an ID breakthrough. The Eastern Sierra thief ants seem to most certainly be Solenopsis validiuscula. I hope that next year I am able to rear a successful colony of that species. Hopefully I will be able to crack the code on the commoners soon. Their behavior is one thing that leads me away from tennesseensis, as they not uncommonly forage aboveground on overcast days. S. carolinensis seems to me to be the most likely candidate.

#98 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 6 2021 - 6:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

This colony died over a month ago. I hadn't realized the cotton had dried out completely, and as these are apparently very sensitive to dessication, they died out a day later. Next year I will not even bother with test tubes for thief ants, it just does not seem to work for me. I don't see how other people in Cali can get such massive colonies with them in test tubes, when mine grew so incredibly slowly.  I plan to make some very thin "ant farm" setups for these things. That way Ill hopefully be able to see them, and not have to worry about changing test tubes, which I find to be an incredible pain in the rear.

Edited by NickAnter, February 6 2021 - 6:06 PM.

#99 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 7 2021 - 3:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Sorry, man. Maybe take a look at the formicariums Aaron568 is making for his thief ants. A super thin version of Crystals’ horizontal sand nest could work, though I never fully grasped how hydration worked in those.
  • Swirlysnowflake likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#100 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 7 2021 - 8:00 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

It can be as simple as just using a syringe to wet the soil. I don't think over-humidifying is an issue with these ants.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis molesta, solenopsis, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users