• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Solenopsis spp. Journal (Cool Video)

solenopsis molesta solenopsis monomorium

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#61 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 27 2019 - 6:08 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Two days ago ES molesta got a worker! Just as small as the SoCal one. Socal have 4 workers and a hefty pile of brood. Monomorium queen doung nothing, as usual.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#62 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 27 2019 - 12:59 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Two days ago ES molesta got a worker! Just as small as the SoCal one. Socal have 4 workers and a hefty pile of brood. Monomorium queen doung nothing, as usual.

Congrats! Unfortunately, my queens' pupae disappeared, and I ended up introducing wild workers to save them. I actually did put exactly one hundred queens in the same test tube setup (they fit with room to spare) and most of them appeared to be mated; therefore the queens probably do outnumber workers at this point, but oh well....  :whistle:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#63 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 14 2019 - 6:29 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
ES molest dead, worker was deformed, and queen drowned herself in honey. Socal have 5 workers, the two nanitics died of old age, and the new about twice the size. They have small amount of brood.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#64 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 15 2019 - 2:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
So that new Monomorium queen finally laid some eggs, about 10 of them! I really hope she is fertile.

#65 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 15 2019 - 2:30 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

So that new Monomorium queen finally laid some eggs, about 10 of them! I really hope she is fertile.

Good luck!
  • NickAnter likes this

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#66 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 15 2019 - 5:58 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Good luck!
Thanks! I have caught about 20 of these, and this one is the first to lay.

#67 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 16 2019 - 2:32 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Good luck!

You are very brave in my opinion :)! I am new so I haven't ventured into the more perplexing species of ants, so solenopsis is pretty hardcore in my opinion :lol:

There is a important time for everything, important place for everyone, an important person for everybody, and an important ant for each and every ant keeper and myrmecologist alike

#68 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted October 16 2019 - 2:38 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Good luck!

You are very brave in my opinion :)! I am new so I haven't ventured into the more perplexing species of ants, so solenopsis is pretty hardcore in my opinion :lol:

Solonopsis Molesta isn't as aggressive as other species like Solonopsis Invicta, and is native to the United States, so that's a big plus. The only downside in my opinion is their small size, which could be a problem. 

• NickAnter likes this

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#69 Offline NickAnter - Posted October 16 2019 - 2:40 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Yeah, and mine are growing very slowly. Also, they are not much smaller than N. vividula, and are far slower.

#70 Offline Da_NewAntOnTheBlock - Posted October 16 2019 - 2:50 PM

Da_NewAntOnTheBlock

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Yeah, and mine are growing very slowly. Also, they are not much smaller than N. vividula, and are far slower.

Well, still pretty brave in my opinion

#71 Offline NickAnter - Posted February 15 2020 - 3:36 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

These all died ages ago...

#72 Offline AntsDakota - Posted February 15 2020 - 7:41 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Unfortunately my queens also died due to a series of unfortunate events. 

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#73 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 2 2020 - 7:51 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I caught about 8 more queens and I have made a highly interesting observation. There are two species here. One is about 3mm, the other about 4mm. The 4mm one is also darker colored, and much faster. Is Isopropyl alcohol good for preserving specimens? I was able to get a queen of each sp. I may be able to get males as well eventually.

I also caught 1 Monomorium queen 2 days ago.

• ANTdrew likes this

#74 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 16 2020 - 9:55 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

So I had 4 Monomorium queens, but 1 was beheaded. Probably the unmated one in the bunch. The other 3 are still alive, and have eggs and larvae!!! I think all the molesta are unmated though, most don't even have eggs. Pictures of the Monomorium eggs are really hard, so I will just wait to take pics till when the first worker arrives. These will be great to keep, as the workers are super slow, and so will be easy to feed.

• Canadant and ANTdrew like this

#75 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 16 2020 - 12:07 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Where do you tend to find your Monomorium queens, and how? I’ve only ever found one Monomorium minimum queen during noon.

Spoiler

#76 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 16 2020 - 4:12 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

In my pool, or once in an inflatable boat, around 6:30 in the afternoon.

#77 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 16 2020 - 10:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The Monomorium are dead. Their tube dried out and I didn't notice it. Luckily, one of the molesta queens I caught on the fourth of July, just wandering as a dealate has a medium sized larva!!! Hopefully, this time, they will survive, and turn into a huge colony worthy of a paludarium along with a few other natives!!! There is a pair, with which only one seems to be mated, and cares for the truly massive egg pile. Pictures will come when I find the clip for my macro lens.

• AntsDakota likes this

#78 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 3 2020 - 11:15 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The pair is infertile. But......

The Single queen has a new addition!!!!!

https://imgur.com/PRiyob3

I have fed them a fruit fly a a micro bit of mealworm, which they have ignored so far. I suppose they will eat when they are hungry.

Edited by NickAnter, August 3 2020 - 11:16 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#79 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 6 2020 - 1:40 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They completely ignore the fruit fly, but the queen hollowed out the mealworm, and is now very bloated. A funny behavior, as shown in the second picture is that one of the workers will climb all over the queen, either just sitting, or grooming her. Very cool to watch.

Edited by NickAnter, August 6 2020 - 1:41 PM.

• CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and OhNoNotAgain like this

#80 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 1 2020 - 7:10 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

They have 9 workers now, a ton of brood, and are overall doing well. I also caught one of the tiny black Solenopsis yesterday morning, and it shed its wings very quickly, which none of the previous ones did. Hopefully this will be the one that will succeed. I'm not sure on the species, as they are too small to be truncorum, with the queens at 3mm. They look identical to the Floridian abdita, but, they are not found in Cali. So I'm stumped.

• M_Ants and TechAnt like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis molesta, solenopsis, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users