• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Solenopsis spp. Journal (Cool Video)

solenopsis molesta solenopsis monomorium

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ForestDragon - Posted August 20 2019 - 3:12 PM

ForestDragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Locationohia

Gcsnelling said that they apparently do not occur in Cali. However, the species is unknown, because the types are lost. Maybe there are multiple versions of S. molesta?

I think you probably found a subspecies if one dies get it sent in for dna testing with a normal molesta you found

#42 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 20 2019 - 5:27 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

More evidence is that the short abdomen one was killed by another short abdomen one, long abdomen killed by a short abdomen. Short abdomens attacked other queens and had to be separated.

#43 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 20 2019 - 6:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California
Max length is?

Gcsnelling said that they apparently do not occur in Cali. However, the species is unknown, because the types are lost. Maybe there are multiple versions of S. molesta?

I preserved two queens. One's abdomen was greatly distended, one was not. Both were at max length.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#44 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 21 2019 - 10:29 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Here is an absolutely dismal pic of the size discrepancy:

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#45 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 21 2019 - 2:14 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Max length is?

I preserved two queens. One's abdomen was greatly distended, one was not. Both were at max length.

distended one maybe 2-2.5 mm, short one 1 mm

#46 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 21 2019 - 2:17 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
I meant max length of the queen, what is it?

#47 Offline ponerinecat - Posted August 21 2019 - 3:42 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I meant max length of the queen, what is it?

I'm not sure. I don't have the specimens anymore. They were pretty much the same size in terms of bodies, just some were slightly longer. 

#48 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 26 2019 - 8:19 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
The Eastern Sierra verision has well over 100 eggs. They have multiple batches of over 50 eggs. A SoCal molesta might have larvae, but I am not sure.

#49 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 29 2019 - 2:48 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

A SoCal molesta has 4th instar larvae!  She only has three, but some is better than none!!  She should have nanitics in a week or so.

#50 Offline NickAnter - Posted August 31 2019 - 2:57 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Well, one of the Eastern Sierra queens was beheaded.  I woke up to find the murderer trying to tear off the thorax too! :blink:  Maybe the victim was infertile,  also, I was way off on my egg estimate.  They have 200 or more!!

#51 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 1 2019 - 12:49 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
One egg pile. They have another one that is larger than this.
You can see the victim in the background....

#52 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 4 2019 - 3:57 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
A second queen was killed. It seems as though one egg pile was fertile, and one was not. The one queen is tending about 10 larvae now, along with about 50 eggs. The fertile socal molesta has a pupa, larvae, and laid another batch of eggs.

#53 Offline Mdrogun - Posted September 4 2019 - 4:02 PM

Mdrogun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • LocationGainesville, FL

Multiple species of ants are observed to have macrogynes and microgynes. Solenopsis geminata for example, is one such species. This could be what you are seeing here, although I definitely agree multiple species of thief ant are under the taxonomic name of Solenopsis molesta. So..... Flip a coin?  :lol:

• TennesseeAnts and smares like this

Currently Keeping:
Trachymyrmex septentrionalis

Pheidole pilifera

Forelius sp. (Monogynous, bicolored) "Midwestern Forelius"
Crematogaster cerasi

Pheidole bicarinata

Aphaenogaster rudis

Camponotus chromaiodes

Formica sp. (microgena species)

Nylanderia cf. arenivega

#54 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 4 2019 - 4:06 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Well, if all goes well, I should have two large colonies by next year, to compare behavior, and appearance. These in cold areas definetly hibernate right?

#55 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 10 2019 - 2:36 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
The socal molesta has a worker!!!! ES molesta has thirteen medium larvae.
  • TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

#56 Offline AntsDakota - Posted September 10 2019 - 4:04 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Well, if all goes well, I should have two large colonies by next year, to compare behavior, and appearance. These in cold areas definetly hibernate right?

I've heard that all Solenopsis don't require hibernation. They simply tough out the cold, and will readily accept warm conditions in the winter.

The socal molesta has a worker!!!! ES molesta has thirteen medium larvae.

My queens have pupae....  :)

• NickAnter likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#57 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 10 2019 - 4:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Cool. I will put them in hibernation for a couple days as a test, when all workers hatch.
  • AntsDakota likes this

#58 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 15 2019 - 10:07 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Socal molesta has two workers, and two pupae. The ES molesta has almost all pupae now.
  • ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

#59 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 15 2019 - 5:23 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
Found a monomorium queen in my pool! Hopefully she is fertile. Oh and the Socal molesta has three workers now.

Edited by NickAnter, September 15 2019 - 5:24 PM.

#60 Offline NickAnter - Posted September 22 2019 - 5:59 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Socal molesta: 4 workers, had five, but drowned in honey.  Queen is so bloated that she has increased in size more than a milimeter,  She can barely walk now.  She has become as large in length as the ES molesta.  Speaking of which, she has a darkening pupa...

• smares likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis molesta, solenopsis, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users