• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

NickAnter's Solenopsis spp. Journal (Cool Video)

solenopsis molesta solenopsis monomorium

• Please log in to reply
154 replies to this topic

#101 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 24 2021 - 9:02 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Naturally not having any formicariums ready, this species(commoners) decided to have their first flight of the year today. I collected around 8 queens, one alate, and the rest dealates. There were around 50 at the black light in total, so not a massive flight, but not a minuscule one either. Once they stopped flying, I waited for a bit to make sure no more were going to drop their wings, and then tubed them all up. I put some in pairs for now, being too tired and lazy to want to do the colossal amount that is 8 test tubes and instead did 5. I might separate them tomorrow.

Here is to  the hopeful 3rd-times-the-charm on this species!!

Pictures coming soon. Hopefully tomorrow.

• TacticalHandleGaming and yibsi like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#102 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 28 2021 - 6:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

All queens bar one have small piles of eggs. Only a couple have actually neat piles, but, I suppose, some is better than none. Pictures are kind of difficult right now, but I promise they are coming soon. Also, I have henceforth named the queens:

(highly original names, I know)

Queen one: Orderly Pile of eggs (y)

Queen two: no eggs, but is acting fertile

Queen three: scattered eggs  (n)

Queens 4&5: Large, orderly pile of eggs (y)

Queens 6&7: Small pile of eggs, orderly (y)

Edited by NickAnter, May 28 2021 - 6:25 PM.

• ANTdrew, TacticalHandleGaming and PetsNotPests like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#103 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 30 2021 - 9:35 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

This morning, about 30 minutes ago, I caught a single S. truncorum queen in the pool!!

I put her in a test tube setup, and made sure this time to make the cotton flat, so they would have a harder time entrenching themselves in it if I do not come up with a proper formicarium for her soon.

She is, thankfully, acting fertile, not running about in a panic, staying calm by the cotton. I have found this to be the best indicator of fertility in Solenopsis(really any small queens) so far.

In regards to the other queens:

Queen 1: Nice orderly pile of eggs, but clearly ignoring them, which isn't a good sign.

Queen 2: Still no eggs.

Queen 3: Very few, scattered eggs that are ignored.

Queens 4&5: Very large pile of eggs, probably over 30, that are being tended to. (y)

Queens 6&7: Small somewhat orderly pile of eggs that are kind of being ignored.

• TacticalHandleGaming likes this

#104 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 3 2021 - 2:33 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Found another truncorum queen day before yesterday.

Solenopsis truncorum #1: Wings, no eggs.

Solenopsis truncorum #2: Wings, no eggs.

Queen 1: Large neat egg pile being tended!

Queen 2: Eggs!! I'm pretty sure this queen is fertile as well, she tends the eggs constantly.

Queen 3: Scattered eggs being ignored. :(

Queens 4&5: Massive egg pile and... a small larva!! (y)  (y) 

Queens 5&6: Eggs.

• Swirlysnowflake and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#105 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 3 2021 - 7:08 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Just caught another truncorum queen. I'm going to catch as many of these as possible. I really hope I can get at least 2 fertile queens.

#106 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 5 2021 - 4:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

2 truncorum dead. :(

2 remaining appear to be infertile(yes I caught another one yesterday).

"plebeius" are doing very well!!

Queen 1: Large pile of eggs, one larva!

Queen 2: Pile of eggs. She was the last to lay, but I expect larvae soon.

Queen 3: Scattered eggs. Most likely infertile.

Queens 4&5: Large pile of eggs, with about 10 rapidly growing larvae! These queens are doing terrific!

Queens 6&7: In the surprise of the year, these two have a larva!

Edited by NickAnter, July 20 2021 - 12:35 PM.

#107 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 8 2021 - 12:56 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Pictures!

Successful plebeius duo:

Solenopsis truncorum:

Edited by NickAnter, July 20 2021 - 12:35 PM.

• TennesseeAnts, Antkeeper01, TacticalHandleGaming and 2 others like this

#108 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 10 2021 - 2:51 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

I caught 4 more truncorum queens on the 8th.

One has removed her wings and is acting fertile!

The plebeius are doing very well with the successful duo having 14 medium-large larvae.

Queen 1: Massive egg pile, with a couple small larvae.

Queen 2: Eggs.

Queen 3: Scattered eggs. Will likely become Lasius food soon.

Queens 4& 5: Large egg pile with over 25 eggs, and at least 14 larvae.

Queens 6&7: One larva and eggs. They don't seem to be caring for the larva.

All other truncorum queens appear to be infertile. I will continue to collect them as they continue flying, as they likely will for several months.

Edited by NickAnter, July 20 2021 - 12:34 PM.

#109 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 14 2021 - 7:32 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Queens 4&5 have 2 pupae! I wonder if they can get workers within a month of capture, I guess we'll see!

Queen two got a larva as well.

#110 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 24 2021 - 2:25 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Queens 4&5 got a worker!!!

Exactly one month after capture as well, which is interesting.

The others are all doing well(aside from 6&7, which have abandoned their brood), and I replaced the old Queen 3 with a new Queen 3 that is fertile.

They have a considerable number of pupae and other brood left to go, and I am also curious if they will miraculously remain polygynous, or when the workers will most likely tear one queen apart.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#111 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 25 2021 - 7:18 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

5 workers now. When I find my phone I'll get pictures.

#112 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 25 2021 - 9:25 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Video!

It was rather difficult to get pictures, what with them moving around, so I decided to take a video instead.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

#113 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted June 25 2021 - 10:20 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

Video!

It was rather difficult to get pictures, what with them moving around, so I decided to take a video instead.

adorable :)

• ANTdrew likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#114 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 5 2021 - 9:41 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

The duo is doing extremely well! They have a very large brood pile, and at least 15 workers.

Colony 2 has 7 workers and a small amount of brood.

Colony 3 has 3 workers and a small amount of brood.

And finally, the truncorum..

We have progress ladies and gentlemen!

There is a group of 4 queens that has a large egg pile. Hopefully at least one of them is fertile!

Also, there was a rather bloated queen that was in another group, that was ostracized from the rest. I decided to put her in a separate test tube with a decent amount of dirt in it. She immediately dug a chamber, and then, two days later, has eggs!

They are still flying, albeit in smaller numbers, so even if none of the current ones I have succeed, I will still have a few chances left hopefully.

#115 Offline NicholasP - Posted July 9 2021 - 8:21 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Wow. This is incredible! Thank you so much for making a journal on Solenopsis thief ants. This is really helpful to me on what I should do since I’m going be purchasing a Solenopsis Krockowi queen! Keep up the good work!

Edited by NicholasP, July 9 2021 - 8:29 AM.

• TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

#116 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 11 2021 - 12:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Yes! The truncorum group, the first to get eggs has a larva!

The dirt truncorum has a massive pile of eggs, but is unheated(condensation issues I want to avoid), so it will take some time for her brood to develop. Hopefully at least one of them will get to workers, as this is species truly is very fun, with even the nanitics being aggressive, unlike every other species I have kept.

The plebeius are all doing well, the duo having a truly massive pile of brood. They should be over 30 workers one all of it ecloses. Also, I'm still amazed they are a duo still. I talked to M_Ants, and he has noted polygyny when keeping the species before, so maybe it is simply a rare occurence for the Cali population, and not an impossibility.

#117 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 12 2021 - 11:45 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Second truncorum queen with confirmed larva!

The very first video on the internet(from what I can see) of this species:

EDIT: You can just see the larva behind the queen at the very end of the video.

The first group to get a larva has their larva growing very quickly, and I expect it to possibly pupate within the week! I can't wait until these get workers!

The molesta duo is at 20 workers now too.

Edited by NickAnter, July 12 2021 - 11:48 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, Swirlysnowflake, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#118 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 14 2021 - 11:30 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

First truncorum group to get larva should have a pupa tomorrow. The larva has grown at an incredible rate, and is now quite large.

I'm pretty sure dirt truncorum also has a small larva now. Video truncorum has several larva now as well.

"plebeius" are doing very well too. I wish that could be the official name of the species. The duo is still, amazingly, a duo, and they are laying more eggs again. I have been powerfeeding them as well, so that is likely helping. I have been feeding the other plebius colonies once a week or so.

• Antkeeper01 and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#119 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 16 2021 - 11:24 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Video truncorum has a pupating larvae, and several more other larvae, along with a large pile of eggs.

Larger group of queens has one large larvae, and a couple smaller ones.

And the plebius!

I have moved the duo into something similar to a Cheeto, "Formisquarium" but with a bit more depth variability and texture. They truly have a very large amount of brood. Hopefully the workers currently wandering the outworld find their way into the nest eventually... :whistle:

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#120 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 20 2021 - 9:15 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts

Solenopsis "plebeius"

I'll let the video be the update here.

Solenopsis truncorum

Dirt truncorum may have larvae, hard to tell. Anyway, other fertile queens still don't have pupae, however, I can see that the larvae are pupating, so I just wish they would stop taking so darn long to get workers lol. I plan on putting them in the same type of formicarium the plebius are in, as I think it is probably my favorite type of formicarium so far, due to it being escape proof, and staying hydrated for so long, and, being quite versatile.

Solenopsis xyloni

Well here is a new addition to the journal, as I mention on the old xyloni journal. I have decided to add any Solenopsis species I get on here, for organization's sake. She has a couple larvae, and a large amount of eggs. Ill try not to neglect them this time. Well, i will neglect them, but, I have a plan, which means I will let them be harvester ants, and leave them with enough seeds and sugar water to hopefully keep them alive. I don't want a massive colony of these, so I'm not too worried about this diet.

Edited by NickAnter, July 20 2021 - 12:33 PM.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis molesta, solenopsis, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users