• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#1101 Offline Enderz - Posted May 5 2018 - 9:23 AM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

So any luck out in Barstow. I'll be heading out today.

Yesterday Scrixx said he found nothing I'm pretty sure. He also said no flights at Lytle Creek.

:morning:  :hot:  :hot:  :hot:

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1102 Offline SirAnticus - Posted May 5 2018 - 5:53 PM

SirAnticus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • LocationSoCal
I'm currently just north of California city in Rancho Seco. Absolutely nothing to report.

#1103 Offline Scrixx - Posted May 10 2018 - 9:49 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Well I did it, I won the game. I caught two Dorymyrmex bicolor last night. Oh and a Solenopsis sp. at Mt. Baldy. Found live Camponotus males of three species but couldn't find any queens, shame. Lake Arrowhead and Crestline had good temps for flights but I just didn't know where it would've been good to park and walk around. I looked at the map and it's mostly houses and it's very mountainous. Anyone know of good places to park and walk around? Trails preferably. I would really appreciate it and I'd obviously report back if I find anything.

Time:  9:30-11:30PM
Temperature: 68F
Humidity: 42% Note: It said 42% humidity but it felt so dry. 
Wind: 0
No recent rains

Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...20180509/mdaily

ID Thread: http://www.formicult...dy-ca-05102018/

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#1104 Offline Enderz - Posted May 10 2018 - 2:40 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Scrixx was the solenopsis sp. the same ant you found when I was there?

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1105 Offline Scrixx - Posted May 10 2018 - 3:16 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Scrixx was the solenopsis sp. the same ant you found when I was there?

I'm not sure. I'll have to get a better picture with better lighting of the first one. 

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#1106 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted May 10 2018 - 3:57 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Well I did it, I won the game. I caught two Dorymyrmex bicolor last night. Oh and a Solenopsis sp. at Mt. Baldy. Found live Camponotus males of three species but couldn't find any queens, shame. Lake Arrowhead and Crestline had good temps for flights but I just didn't know where it would've been good to park and walk around. I looked at the map and it's mostly houses and it's very mountainous. Anyone know of good places to park and walk around? Trails preferably. I would really appreciate it and I'd obviously report back if I find anything.

Time:  9:30-11:30PM
Temperature: 68F
Humidity: 42% Note: It said 42% humidity but it felt so dry. 
Wind: 0
No recent rains

Wunderground: https://www.wundergr...20180509/mdaily

ID Thread: http://www.formicult...dy-ca-05102018/

That's too bad, I could have easily gone there. 

#1107 Offline Enderz - Posted May 10 2018 - 5:48 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

I'm pretty sure it rained here and I saw what looked to be an argentine alate on a nest entrance. It was strange as she had wings.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1108 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted May 10 2018 - 6:40 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

I'm pretty sure it rained here and I saw what looked to be an argentine alate on a nest entrance. It was strange as she had wings.

A small amount of argentine ant queens will actually fly while the rest mate inside the colony.

#1109 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted May 12 2018 - 3:47 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

So this year I'm probably going to get one opportunity to catch ants, and I'm going to try to get M. mexicanus with my one anting trip, and I was wondering; is it better to try and catch them when they fly, or dig them up?

• miwu likes this

#1110 Offline miwu - Posted May 12 2018 - 6:45 PM

miwu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

So this year I'm probably going to get one opportunity to catch ants, and I'm going to try to get M. mexicanus with my one anting trip, and I was wondering; is it better to try and catch them when they fly, or dig them up?

When they fly. And you’ll probably still have to dig a little bit.

#1111 Offline Enderz - Posted May 12 2018 - 10:29 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts
Yes myrmecocystus dig very fast after a flight.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1112 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 20 2018 - 1:13 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The problem with trying to catch them when they fly, is if you are as little as a few hours too early, you go home with nothing. If you just go expecting to dig them up, you can be within about 3 days of when they flew in the middle of the summer, and even a week or more in the winter.

#1113 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 20 2018 - 9:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

POPULAR

Back on May 5th I decided  to drive all the way up to Shoshone, California. On the way I stopped off and got some pictures of what looked like a flash flood, but nope, it's actually a permanent flowing stream through the desert called Amargosa River which is supplied by the Tecopa Hot Spring many miles north of there.

gallery_2_145_3821009.jpg

gallery_2_145_2565569.jpg

This here is Tecopa Hot Spring. As you can see there were no naked people soaking in it at the time. :P

gallery_2_145_4331833.jpg

gallery_2_145_2606169.jpg

gallery_2_145_4425880.jpg

gallery_2_145_204607.jpg

gallery_2_145_285012.jpg

gallery_2_145_651825.jpg

This is where I finally found some queen ants.

gallery_2_145_3636779.jpg

I still don't know if they are Pogonomyrmex californicus or P. maricopa. The last time i found P. maricopa, they were in Blythe, along the Colorado River where the habitat is very similar - a sort-of desert marsh, all wet and muddy. They flew in September though, and this is May, very close to when P. californicus flies. I tried IDing them, but I still don't know for sure. P. californicus and P. maricopa are very difficult to tell apart. Does anyone know if P. californicus in this part of the Mojave Desert would be all red, or with just a small black stripe on the gaster vs. the entire gaster black?

gallery_2_1200_738775.jpg

gallery_2_1200_553065.jpg

They certainly move like P. maricopa or the desert bicolor variety of P. californicus. Another weird thing about these is that they seem to range in size a lot. The first few I found were so small I thought they were P. magnacanthus, but then I noticed the eyes were not large. The much smaller queens also dug nests that looked more like small lumps of fine sand, unlike what I normally see from Pogonomyrmex. Basically I'm pretty confused by these queens. I'm not even sure they're all the same species. Having no spines or large eyes, I doubt they can be anything other than the two I suspect they might be.

Most of the queens were in founding chambers found in the sandy areas next to the bushes. Some were still digging and some even running around.

gallery_2_1199_2815366.jpg

Some crazy person with a shovel was digging holes in the desert for hours while it was 100 degrees out.

gallery_2_1199_6170122.jpg

These gigantic flies were driving me nuts. They would land on you and just start biting if you didn't keep moving. I took a couple of them out with my trusty shovel, but eventually they would come back for more.

gallery_2_1198_812251.jpg

gallery_2_1198_847068.jpg

Here's the funny looking Desert Weevils I shared in another post.

gallery_2_1187_756339.jpg

gallery_2_1187_1487071.jpg

Here's some cool pictures from the Mojave Preserve.

gallery_2_145_2897380.jpg

gallery_2_145_563887.jpg

gallery_2_145_3416760.jpg

gallery_2_145_755047.jpg

• nurbs, Zeiss, dermy and 7 others like this

#1114 Offline T.C. - Posted May 22 2018 - 6:03 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Oh boy! Story time. Pretty sure those are "horse flies." They used to bite us when we swam in the pool. We would take the wake boards and wait for them. When they came you would punch them into the water with these board things, or use a pool noodle. The most interesting thing was you could knock them out, and they would land in the water. But they will take off in 3 seconds, right off the water. And around here they can be huge. I'm gonna have to get pictures this summer.

• Enderz likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#1115 Offline Enderz - Posted May 22 2018 - 6:15 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Oh boy! Story time. Pretty sure those are "horse flies." They used to bite us when we swam in the pool. We would take the wake boards and wait for them. When they came you would punch them into the water with these board things, or use a pool noodle. The most interesting thing was you could knock them out, and they would land in the water. But they will take off in 3 seconds, right off the water. And around here they can be huge. I'm gonna have to get pictures this summer.

That sounds like something fun that I would do and also quite amazing, huge flies taking off from water wow.

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1116 Offline LC3 - Posted May 22 2018 - 6:19 PM

LC3

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,323 posts
  • LocationBC, Canada

Those flies would appear to be Tabanus punctifer. The western horse fly.

#1117 Offline nurbs - Posted May 22 2018 - 9:40 PM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Really glad Drew figured out how to use his new camera. Should post some of his camera tech support questions.  :lol:

• T.C. likes this

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#1118 Offline T.C. - Posted May 22 2018 - 10:09 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

Really glad Drew figured out how to use his new camera. Should post some of his camera tech support questions.  :lol:

Please do.
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#1119 Offline Enderz - Posted May 22 2018 - 10:25 PM

Enderz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Please do :lol: this would be a nice laugh

Ex igne et in infernum. 

#1120 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 22 2018 - 10:29 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Yeah, I hit a few with my shovel, and after falling to the ground, they eventually took off again.

Those flies would appear to be Tabanus punctifer. The western horse fly.

Probably

:lol:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)