• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use, and contain no ads for members. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
- - - - -

Scrixx's Solenopsis spp. Journal

solenopsis molesta solenopsis xyloni

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 11 2018 - 6:03 PM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

Scrixx's Solenopsis Journal

Hey! Welcome to my Solenopsis species journal. This will cover all my Solenopsis species which is really just two; Solenopsis molesta and Solenopsis xyloni. Both species were collected 07/23/2018 in the Lytle Creek foothills. 

Solenopsis molesta

I collected a few dozen queens and kept them in groups of 10 and 5s. It has been 10 weeks since then and only one test tube has workers. The 10 queen test tube has over 10 nanitics but the queen count is down to two. There were three queens last week but the workers culled one. Surprisingly, they culled the queen without wings. There is a winged queen and a wingless queen left. I'm hoping the workers keep both queens so I can have a polygynous S. molesta colony but I'm happy to have one succeed at all. I've had several dozen queens and they all failed. They couldn't even get their first worker.

Solenopsis xyloni

I collected these queens alongside the S. molesta. I separated most queens to single test tubes but kept one test tube with 10 queens and a second test tube with 5 queens. All the queens in the 10 queen setup died but the 5 queen setup has workers! There was a casualty though so there are only 4 queens left, it looks like she was processed by the workers so I assume she was culled. It's been almost 2 weeks since workers and all 4 queens are still alive. I'm hoping they keep all the queens but I also hope they cull at least one queen. The test tube is already looking crowded with how much 4 Solenopsis xyloni queens are producing! It's going to fill out really fast.

Edited by Scrixx, September 12 2018 - 9:04 AM.

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#2 Offline Theantguy14 - Posted September 11 2018 - 6:11 PM

Theantguy14

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationMoreno valley california
Wow you successfully got a polygamous Solenopsis xyloni colony? Great job dude!
Currently keeping:
7 queen Solenopsis Molesta colony
Formica francoeuri colony (17 workers)
Pogonomyrmex californicus queen
Myrmecocystus Mexicanus queen
Crematogaster laevicula colony (12 workers)
2 pogonomyrmex rugosus queens
2 Brachymyrmex Patagonicus queens

#3 Offline Spamdy - Posted September 11 2018 - 6:29 PM

Spamdy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 331 posts
  • LocationHouston, Texas

Posted in wrong topic, can a mod delete this?

Edited by Spamdy, September 11 2018 - 6:29 PM.

All my colonies are dead. 

Except:

Pogonomyrmex barbatus

Pheidole obscurithorax

Pheidole morens

#4 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 14 2018 - 8:43 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Wow you successfully got a polygamous Solenopsis xyloni colony? Great job dude!

Yeah it seems like it's polygynous but we'll have to wait to see if it stands the test of time.

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

#5 Offline Scrixx - Posted September 14 2018 - 8:47 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Solenopsis molesta

The polygynous Solenopsis molesta colony did not last very long. Meaning it was not actually polygynous to begin with. The workers culled off the second living queen and exposed the true queen of the colony; the winged queen. This shows that winged queens can be fertile, and in this scenario, she was even deemed the strongest queen by the workers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: solenopsis molesta, solenopsis xyloni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users