• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2450 replies to this topic

#701 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 19 2017 - 2:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

It's a decent heatwave, but like most this time of the year, it's an offshore event which is very dry, so we'll see what happens.

#702 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2017 - 6:41 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

The forecast humidity has gone up a tiny bit, and it looks like today is going to be just as hot as Saturday, and even hotter than Saturday in some areas. I think most likely something will be flying.

#703 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 21 2017 - 3:09 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
I didn't have any luck today. I started in the Cleveland National Forest hoping the Pogonomyrmex's would fly but they didn't. Then I did some awesome off roading through the Thomas mountain. I dug at a couple small mounds and I did see drone and/or alates but nothing was flying up there either. It seems like they're going too sooner than later tho. I'm by Lake Hemet now and I'm going to see if I can get to Joshua tree before sundown. I'm spending the night in Palm Springs and am going to look around the desert. If there isn't anything flying, I may swing by Coachella :)

#704 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 21 2017 - 5:03 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I rarely find anything during the day time in the hills during spring and summer heatwaves. It almost all happens after dark. As for the desert, generally nothing is going to fly unless it rains.

#705 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 21 2017 - 7:45 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Yeah that explains why I got skunked today. I saw lots of different kind of ants though. That was neat. I may check the Chaney trail tomorrow night .

#706 Offline soulsynapse - Posted April 22 2017 - 12:09 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

found 2 veromessor queens and more velvety tree ant queens than I could ever want on black star canyon road

they flew this evening, I walked into the middle of the flight

edit:

full disclosure: black star canyon road has cougar warning signs all over the place, and these queens were only coming out at 8:30 or later. it's also very close to a new moon, so it's pitch black in the canyon.

when I asked drew about this spot he said that he's walked the trail at night alone and he definitely wouldn't do it again. "you can definitely get eaten there" - quote, verbatim.

Edited by soulsynapse, April 22 2017 - 12:45 AM.

• dspdrew likes this
Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#707 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 22 2017 - 3:44 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I found a few Liometopum occidentale queens around my truck while running my black light in Trabuco Canyon. Then in Mount Baldy, Camponotus had huge flights. TONS of C. sansabeanus and C. vicinus. I also found a few C. laevigatus and C. quercicola. A few of us are planning to go back out there again tonight.

• soulsynapse likes this

#708 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 22 2017 - 12:02 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Oh crap. Camponotus? Tons? What time is best?
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#709 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 22 2017 - 4:55 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

They usually start flying around 9:00 PM.

#710 Offline SanBernardino909 - Posted April 22 2017 - 6:25 PM

SanBernardino909

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino Ca
Hey Dspdrew where at around Mt Baldy ?

#711 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 22 2017 - 11:49 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

Just couldn't make it.  Hope it was good. 

PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#712 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 23 2017 - 5:22 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Just couldn't make it.  Hope it was good.

Good would be an understatement :). It was a pleasure meeting all you guys last night!

#713 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 23 2017 - 6:01 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
What'd ya find?

#714 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 23 2017 - 6:17 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Everything Drew listed but the numbers for some were crazy.

#715 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 23 2017 - 6:31 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
<sigh>. Wonder if they'll go again tonight or at least be crawling about. Would love to grab some laevigatus. Can you drop a gps pin or something specific?

#716 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 23 2017 - 6:40 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
I think you'd have a good chance of finding them tonight. Nurbs said all the queens should be around for a few days. There were plenty of laevigatus last night. If you go hike in the Icehouse trail, look on all the dead oak logs. That's where we found all ours. If you hike a couple miles up the trail, there are a bunch of huge oak logs on and around a stream. That was the laevigatus jackpot. It was a crazy hike to do at 1am but Nurbs was gracious enough to go a second time to accompany myself and son (thanks again Nurbs!)

#717 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 23 2017 - 7:04 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
1am! That's crazy. Why so late?

#718 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 23 2017 - 7:15 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

We were getting while the getting was good!  It was just a hard hike up the mountain, and it took a lot of time just looking at all the trees.  We doubled back a lot too because as Nurbs said, the queens would usually 'repsawn' after you cleared a log. 

#719 Offline nurbs - Posted April 23 2017 - 9:43 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

<sigh>. Wonder if they'll go again tonight or at least be crawling about. Would love to grab some laevigatus. Can you drop a gps pin or something specific?

You have plenty of time in the next few days. There will be less and less each night as the queens start to settle in and find places to start their brood, but there are literally thousands of them crawling around, especially C. vicinus.

I filled up all my containers within the hour and had to bust out the plastic test tubes to get more.

Was great seeing everyone in person. Met Zeiss and also saw Soysauce and Soulsynapse (who made an ingenious C. quercicola snaring entraption haha).

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#720 Offline Zeiss - Posted April 23 2017 - 12:01 PM

Zeiss

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts
  • LocationFountain Valley

Yeah, it was nice meeting everyone out there last night.  I had to stop caring about the C. vicinus, as there were too many.  I wish I had brought more containers, haha.  

I did manage to find the only C. clarithorax last night.  At least I think I was the only one who found one.  

Now I just need to get myself a massive bag of those mangos.  Nurbs you have gotten me addicted to them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users