• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Southern California Anting

2454 replies to this topic

#681 Offline JasonD - Posted March 10 2017 - 1:41 PM

JasonD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Finding Myrmecocystus founding chambers in the foothills is like finding a needle in a haystack. There are just far fewer Myrmecocystus nests in the hills than there are in the desert. In my experience, I probably see 30 times more Myrmecocystus nests in the desert than I do in the hills... so you can imagine what finding a founding chamber is like. It takes a lot of luck, and JasonD had it that day. I actually did get lucky last year and found one in a founding chamber in a little patch of dirt right in the middle of the creek at Ice House Canyon in Mount Baldy. Unfortunately it died. But yeah... they're waaaay easier to find in the desert when most of them fly after July.

I got super lucky. I was walking my dog and she spotted the queen. I went to see why she was sticking her nose in the dirt and the queen was there!

• thosaka likes this

#682 Offline soulsynapse - Posted March 10 2017 - 1:55 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

I def can't be bothered driving 4 hours total to find Camponotus queens :( hopefully they fly within an hour of where I live soon

Come join 3,400 other ant keepers on the Antkeeping Discord

14,000 messages a day

Friendly and helpful :D

#683 Offline PTAntFan - Posted March 10 2017 - 2:02 PM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA

I def can't be bothered driving 4 hours total to find Camponotus queens :( hopefully they fly within an hour of where I live soon

I will gladly drive 2 there and 2 back for guaranteed Camponotus queens.

• soulsynapse likes this
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#684 Offline dspdrew - Posted March 12 2017 - 2:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Went for a hike today through O'Neill Regional Park. It's so weird seeing so much green!

med_gallery_2_147_454997.jpg

I noticed some alates popping their heads out of one of the dark-colored Myrmecocystus nests while lots of workers swarmed all over the area. By the looks of things, I figured they probably hadn't flown yet.

But then, after about 2 miles of walking, FINALLY! I came across a founding chamber in the foothills!

med_gallery_2_414_1570671.jpg

This one was right alongside Monastery Road which borders the park. I knew there was a few of those Myrmecocystus colonies along this road, so I always figured if I was going to find a queen, it would probably be around there somewhere, partly because it was always easy to get to. I have actually seen one or two of what looked like Myrmecocystus founding chambers in the foothills before, but I never got anything out of them. This time however, I had much better luck, and just as I thought, it was the same dark Myrmecocystus species that are all over that area--the one I think is probably M. mimicus.

med_gallery_2_414_813423.jpg

• thosaka likes this

#685 Offline SoySauce - Posted March 12 2017 - 2:10 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Congrats Drew!

#686 Offline soulsynapse - Posted April 9 2017 - 11:21 AM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

ay socal guys any of you having luck on missions lately? We've been dry for a while now 

14,000 messages a day

#687 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 9 2017 - 11:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Absolutely nothing going on. No rain, and the same upper 60's, lower 70's temps for the past month now. The forecast doesn't show any changes at all for the next 10 days either.

#688 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 9 2017 - 12:23 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
You guys didn't get any rain Friday night?. It rained a bit throughout the night up inLA. I was going to check out the Chaney trail weds night w my new blacklight flashlight ant see if anything glows. It may get up to 80.

Edited by SoySauce, April 9 2017 - 12:23 PM.

• Jelly likes this

#689 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 9 2017 - 5:49 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

.03 inches of rain (drizzle actually) isn't going to do anything. Rain isn't even what's important here. No real flights are going to happen in the mountains until there is a heatwave.

• nurbs likes this

#690 Offline FSTP - Posted April 9 2017 - 6:27 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Great! nice going Drew...

I've had no luck lately, I keep finding empty founding chambers, and several times I dug up a few founding chambers with dead queens in them (all were Pogonomyrmex), don't know what that's about.

#691 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 9 2017 - 6:32 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
That's actually good news to us Drew. We are pretty much in over our heads. Especially when all theses eggs starts turning into ants!

Edited by SoySauce, April 9 2017 - 6:32 PM.

#692 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 9 2017 - 6:34 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I've already got 15 new colonies with workers.

#693 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 9 2017 - 6:49 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
What the...15??! We are still waiting for our first v. pergandei to hatch! Although I made a trip up north and picked up some very coooool camps and a couple other SP. with a few workers from a GAN dude. They're sooooo cool and yes, I'm that crazy!

Edited by SoySauce, April 9 2017 - 6:50 PM.

#694 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 9 2017 - 6:50 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Did you see my pm btw, Drew?

#695 Offline dspdrew - Posted April 9 2017 - 6:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Oh yeah, sorry.

#696 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 9 2017 - 6:55 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Ok, no worries. I just wanna be completely prepared if and when.

Edited by SoySauce, April 9 2017 - 6:55 PM.

#697 Offline PTAntFan - Posted April 18 2017 - 6:34 AM

PTAntFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 495 posts
  • LocationBurbank, CA
Big heat wave coming in. Moist yesterday but no rain.
PTAntFan----------------------------------Pogonomyrmex Californicus*****************************<p>I use the $3 Tower I made up. See it here.

#698 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 18 2017 - 6:42 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts

Big heat wave coming in. Moist yesterday but no rain.

Where's everyone planning on going?

#699 Offline soulsynapse - Posted April 19 2017 - 12:13 PM

soulsynapse

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Black star canyon road take 2

14,000 messages a day

#700 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 19 2017 - 1:09 PM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
Yeah? I'm hoping the harvesters will fly, but will look for the velvety tree ants too.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users