• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Monomorium Minimum Info

minimum monomorium

129 replies to this topic

#121 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 19 2021 - 6:24 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,934 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Woke up to another jailbreak by my large Monomin colony. I’m seriously questioning if I can afford to keep them anymore. What do you all think? Should I stay or should I go?

If you can't afford them anymore, maybe try to find an antkeeper in your state which wants the colony. That might help you afford more ant colonies in the future. Plus your state has been blessed with many ant keepers...

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My Journals:

Formica Species Journal

Myrmica Species Journal

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#122 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2021 - 8:34 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think I’ll seal the gaps with silicone and cut an access hole in their lid for now. Any more shenanigans, though, and I’ll probably have to get rid of these, even if I’d miss them.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#123 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2021 - 9:44 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I sealed the gaps and cut a big hole in the lid. It looks like crap, but it should work better.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#124 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted August 3 2022 - 9:38 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationChurch Hill, Tennessee, USA

Do you still have these ANTdrew? update?

#125 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 4 2022 - 3:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
After two years, I finally came across another big flight of these ants. I have one group of four and another group of two in the founding stage right now.

#126 Online FinWins - Posted August 4 2022 - 7:34 AM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts
  • LocationSoCal
Where I live Monomorium are everywhere you can hardly look at the ground without seeing a worker. The reason I don’t keep some is that they are sooooo small I don’t think I could contain them. Also were I live it rarely gets below 60 day time temp during the winter so while they slow down a bit they never go into complete hibernation.
I keep:
Camponotus modoc (colony)
Camponotus sansabeanus (queen)
Pogonomyrmex rugosus (colony)
Pogonomyrmex californicus 2x(2 queen poly)
Pogonomyrmex magnacanthus 2x(queen)
My Pogonomyrmex rugosus journal: https://www.formicul...us/#entry215040
I’m looking for: (Stigmatomma sp.), (Pseudomyrmex sp.), (Odontomachus sp.), (Myrmecocystus mexicanus or mendex), (Formica sp.), (Polyergus sp.)

#127 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted August 4 2022 - 1:34 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

After two years, I finally came across another big flight of these ants. I have one group of four and another group of two in the founding stage right now.

I am only about 3 hours below you...where should I be looking for queens? I'm like you, everywhere you look on the ground are little black ants, but being a rookie, I am not sure I am seeing "these ants". I would love to try to keep some of these. 

#128 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 4 2022 - 1:59 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,694 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Cool! Where are you located? It may be getting a bit late to find Monomorium queens in our area, but they like to fly late mornings after heavy rains. If both of my founding colonies work out, I can hook you up with one since I don’t need two.
  • TennesseeAnts and Valkyrie04 like this

#129 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted August 4 2022 - 5:49 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
These gals also love to hang out under rocks in open grassy areas and make little mounds. Since their colonies are large and have many queens you can literally dig about an inch down into a mound and collect a queen or two and several dozen workers to start you off.
  • Valkyrie04 likes this

#130 Offline Valkyrie04 - Posted August 4 2022 - 5:49 PM

Valkyrie04

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

I'm in upper east TN in a tiny town. But I have a few people here that do Camponotus a lot. I love Castaneus & Subbarbatus, but I would like to do a tiny set as well. I see all kinds of little black ants all over my yard and have a ton of fresh dug holes, but I'm afraid to try to dig them up because I might crush them. lol Any tips??  Definately keep me in mind if you decide to unload one set. I have a nephew that is joining in this adventure. He has kept isopods for about a year and done awesome with them. Now he wants to "Ant with his Aunt". lol  I keep lots of things like Mantids, Isopods, Jumping spiders, etc. So I'm his "cool Aunt"...not to mention...his only Aunt.  :D

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minimum, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users