• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Monomorium Minimum Info

minimum monomorium

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#101 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2021 - 9:48 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’ll put one together, but suffice it to say that they are kicking butt.
  • Antkeeper01 and Virginian_ants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#102 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 26 2021 - 10:33 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

mine are too, i might combine my 2 colonies

• ANTdrew likes this

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

#103 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 26 2021 - 11:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Go for it!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#104 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 26 2021 - 12:01 PM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

Go for it!

i put a queen in there and they held he hostage AKA held onto her legs they only let go when i poked the queen with a q-tip

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

#105 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 27 2021 - 8:14 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

well fail all but a few of the new queens were killed and the original queen is still alive

Edited by Antkeeper01, April 30 2021 - 12:13 PM.

• Nanos likes this

#106 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 11 2021 - 5:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 5-11-2021

This colony is doing very well in their Inception Chamber. The fluon is holding them well, and it is easy to clean and feed them because I can easily remove the lid. I tried a new food for them last night: some water snails my brother had growing in his Betta fish tank. He had a bunch of extras, so I took some home and crunched them up. All my ants had an enthusiastic response to the escargot. I think it is a matter of time before this colony starts getting alates, but who knows?

This photo is from an earlier feeding.

IMG 9780

Edited by ANTdrew, May 11 2021 - 5:55 AM.

• Karma, Nanos, NickAnter and 1 other like this

#107 Offline Nanos - Posted May 18 2021 - 6:13 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

well fail all but a few of the new queens were killed and the original queen is still alive

that's interesting you would think that since they have multiple queens that they would be receptive to more. Maybe the queens need to start together? i think someone on this thread mentioned that they've successfully fused colonies so it seems that in some cases they will accept new queens.  

#108 Offline Nanos - Posted May 18 2021 - 6:18 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

Update 5-11-2021

This colony is doing very well in their Inception Chamber. The fluon is holding them well, and it is easy to clean and feed them because I can easily remove the lid. I tried a new food for them last night: some water snails my brother had growing in his Betta fish tank. He had a bunch of extras, so I took some home and crunched them up. All my ants had an enthusiastic response to the escargot. I think it is a matter of time before this colony starts getting alates, but who knows?

This photo is from an earlier feeding.

hmm that would be super awesome. Correct me if i'm wrong but i hear people have had difficulty getting colonies to make alates in captivity or maybe it's difficulty getting them to mate? anyway it would be interesting to know if these guys would be willing to go through that entire process in captivity. I'm thinking it's probably possible because since they have multiple queens there is probably a lot of genetic variation so the effect of inbreeding would be lessen so they could probably get away with it evolutionarily speaking. 

#109 Offline geomaniac5 - Posted June 16 2021 - 9:17 AM

geomaniac5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

is this a monomorium minimum queen? I keep going back and forth between if it is a tetramorium or a monomini. Thanks!

Colonies I am keeping:

x2 Brachymyrmex Depilis Queens

x2 Camponotus Modoc Queens

x4 Tetramorium Immigrans colonies

#110 Offline geomaniac5 - Posted June 16 2021 - 9:19 AM

geomaniac5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

here are the pics

Attached Files

Colonies I am keeping:

#111 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted June 17 2021 - 3:18 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

attachicon.gifattachments.zip

here are the pics

It's hard to tell but it looks like Tetramorium.

#112 Offline geomaniac5 - Posted June 17 2021 - 8:45 AM

geomaniac5

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

dang, i figured. they were just caught a little before the main mass of tetramorium flew so i thought they might not be  :( i have loads of tetramorium tho so i was hoping it would be something different :yes:

Colonies I am keeping:

#113 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 17 2021 - 9:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
A bit too early for them, too. The main differences are smaller size and Monomorium’s much shinier appearance.

#114 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 18 2021 - 10:03 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 6-18-2021

Lots of Monomorium hype on the forum recently, and I'm happy to hop on that bandwagon. My two queen colony is growing crazy fast now! They have totally filled up the nest part of their Inception Chamber and started piling brood just outside it in the outworld. I decided to give them a test tube setup for them to expand into.

IMG 0120

Their fluon failed one day and I had some escape under the lid of the Inception Chamber. I was able to renew the fluon, though, and now I'm weighting down the lid with two heavy rocks I found by a stream. I can't wait to see new flights of these girls in a few weeks! :yes: :yes:

• AntsMaryland, Karma, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#115 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 5 2021 - 11:10 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 7-5-2021

This colony is doing amazing, but they are getting hard to contain. I've had to replace their fluon several times in the past few weeks, and they still keep getting up by the lid of their Inception Chamber. They were small enough to slip under, too, but I solved that by weighing down the lid with two river rocks. I'm looking forward to finding new queens soon and experimenting to see if the colony will accept newly mated queens.

They've completely filled the nest part:

IMG 0116
IMG 0117

I gave them a test tube to expand into. Of course they are trying to tunnel into the wet cotton. Myrmy's Law in effect:
IMG 0118

I plan to attach this AntAbode nest I designed for them to expand into:
IMG 0090

• Karma and Antkeeper01 like this

#116 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 14 2021 - 12:38 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I need some ideas. My Monomorium colony is living in an Inception Chamber. Their population has surged so much that I’m having a heck of a time containing them. Their fluon is not stopping them, and they can slip under the lid if I don’t weigh it down with rocks. Lifting the lid to care for them is a mess now. Have you guys that keep this species had any luck with other kinds of barriers?

#117 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 14 2021 - 1:31 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

This would be difficult, but could you create a rime, with an edge, that could effectively hold water? So that there will be a certain point that they cannot climb across, as they would have to cross water to get to the edge. This would also likely be sever population control...

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#118 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted July 17 2021 - 4:25 PM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I need some ideas. My Monomorium colony is living in an Inception Chamber. Their population has surged so much that I’m having a heck of a time containing them. Their fluon is not stopping them, and they can slip under the lid if I don’t weigh it down with rocks. Lifting the lid to care for them is a mess now. Have you guys that keep this species had any luck with other kinds of barriers?

Honestly you should get them a bigger nest. Then they might stop trying to excape.

Edited by Ants_Dakota, July 17 2021 - 4:26 PM.

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#119 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 19 2021 - 2:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,411 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Woke up to another jailbreak by my large Monomin colony. I’m seriously questioning if I can afford to keep them anymore. What do you all think? Should I stay or should I go?
  • Antkeeper01 likes this

#120 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted July 19 2021 - 4:24 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts

stay get a larger formicarium!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minimum, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users