• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Monomorium Minimum Info

minimum monomorium

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#81 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted October 16 2020 - 3:21 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Those seem like they are meant for Temnothorax.

#82 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 16 2020 - 4:22 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Yeah, it's a weird combination of a really small nest with a really big outworld. It'll work for my Monomorium if I give them other test tubes to nest in as well.

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#83 Offline KitsAntVa - Posted October 16 2020 - 9:21 AM

KitsAntVa

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts
  • LocationRichmond, Virginia
Do you think I should use my mini hearth for the crematogaster instead?
We don’t talk about that

#84 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 28 2020 - 5:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

My dual queen colony has really hit their stride now with several hundred workers and a big brood pile. Their cotton was getting really black, so I needed to move them before diapause. I found that this species is pretty stubborn about moving. I did my standard technique of leaving the new tube in for them to explore several days, then I exposed them to sunlight and pulled the lid off their old tube. They still showed no interest in moving, so I just dumped them out the next day. Thankfully all the brood and ants just slid out with none sticking. They finished the move in 20 minutes.

I brought their set up to my parents' cold basement for hibernation now. It will be interesting to see how long I can keep these two queens going and if I can perpetuate the colony by adding in newly mated queens next summer.

• Nanos, AntsDakota and Virginian_ants like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#85 Offline AntsDakota - Posted October 28 2020 - 7:22 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I found that this species is pretty stubborn about moving.

I've found this to be true with  Myrmicinaes in the Solenopsidini tribe. My molesta refuse to move unless they are dumped (they don't mind light barely at all), and even then they didn't move into the new test tube for weeks.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and Ants_Dakota like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#86 Offline Nanos - Posted November 6 2020 - 6:06 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

Yeah, it's a weird combination of a really small nest with a really big outworld. It'll work for my Monomorium if I give them other test tubes to nest in as well.

I have one of my colonies within a test tube in an inception nest. They've been there for a while, probably since last year or early this year, they never moved to the designated nest. They just stayed in the test tube. The tube ran out of water so i provided them with another which they partially moved into but they never completely left the first test tube. guess i'll just have to keep giving them tubes.  

• ANTdrew likes this

#87 Offline ANTdrew - Posted November 6 2020 - 6:33 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Wow! Wish I’d known that before buying the nest. Seems like dumping them is the only way to move them. They may just be a tub and tube kind of species, though.

#88 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 12 2020 - 6:06 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My dual queens, Bil and Hjuki, are doing well in diapause. I had a scare, though, because the mini-fridge I had them in for a few weeks turned out to be way too cold - pretty near freezing. When I checked them, they all appeared dead. After warming up a bit, though, they revived, thank God. I’m keeping them in my parents’ basement now in the low ‘50s. I can’t wait to see what 2021 brings for this colony.
I would add extreme cold hardiness to the list of info on this species. That makes sense if their nests are so shallow in the soil.

Edited by ANTdrew, December 12 2020 - 6:08 AM.

• Swirlysnowflake likes this

#89 Offline Devi - Posted December 12 2020 - 10:14 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Wow.  I just read through this whole journal and am loving it so far.  Nice ants ANTdrew!  I hope to keep these someday.  I love how they look.

• Ants_Dakota likes this

#90 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 12 2020 - 10:41 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Wow. I just read through this whole journal and am loving it so far. Nice ants ANTdrew! I hope to keep these someday. I love how they look.

It would definitely be worth the effort to find these underappreciated little ants.

#91 Offline Swirlysnowflake - Posted December 12 2020 - 11:09 AM

Swirlysnowflake

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,155 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA

Wow. I just read through this whole journal and am loving it so far. Nice ants ANTdrew! I hope to keep these someday. I love how they look.

It would definitely be worth the effort to find these underappreciated little ants.

I once saw a huge colony of these moving across my yard (from one bag of soil to another). I saw 15+ queens and countless workers. However, they've all been killed by prenolepis. :(

• Antkeeper01 likes this

My YouTube channel :)

#92 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 5 2021 - 6:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-5-2021 New Season

My Monomorium minimum colony made it through diapause. They're ready to kick butt and take down names! A pretty sizable pile of larvae overwintered with them, so they activated right away looking for new protein. They had a big response to some chopped up mealworms last night. I may move these into an Inception Chamber soon. I can't wait to see what 2021 brings for queens Bil and Hjuki.

IMG 9271

• Karma, Nanos, Antkeeper01 and 1 other like this

#93 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted March 5 2021 - 7:21 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Wow! I'm glad they are doing so well.

#94 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 23 2021 - 3:56 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 3-23-21

Ants can be really stupid some times. Yesterday, I discovered that my two queen Monomorium colony had tunneled into their wet cotton and caused a flood in the their tube. Even a little bit of water is really dangerous for such tiny ants, so I had to act quick and do an emergency move. Luckily, I had ordered a THA Inception chamber for them last fall, so I took the plunge and dumped them all in. I used sunlight and airflow, and they scuttled into the nest part very quickly. The full move was done in under an hour. Sadly, a lot of workers and brood were lost to the flood, but the two queens are fine. They look pretty sharp in the nest nest!

IMG 9398
IMG 9397
IMG 9396

• Karma, TennesseeAnts and Ecan like this

#95 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 2 2021 - 7:59 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update 4-2-21

I really, really like how this new Inception Chamber is working out for my Monomorium minimum colony. They've been in it about two weeks now and seem to be doing really well. Their brood pile is growing and they are accepting all kinds of feeder insects, some hemp hearts, and a bit of hard boiled egg yolk I gave them yesterday. They'll probably get more eggs in the next few days, I predict.

I've read some posts on this forum about difficulties heating the Inception Chamber without condensation, but I haven't had any issues at all. I'm running a loop of heat cable under one side of the foraging area, and the whole thing heats up into the high 70s-low 80s. There is a lot of foraging space, which is good because these tiny ants are surprisingly bold and energetic explorers. I <3this species and can't wait to try adding in more queens this summer if I find more. 

You should be able to make out the two queens here, Bil and Hjuki:

IMG 9502

Brood and more brood:
IMG 9505
IMG 9504

• Karma, TennesseeAnts, spartANTS and 2 others like this

#96 Offline Nanos - Posted April 2 2021 - 6:30 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

This is awesome, i think i'm gonna take my colonies out this weekend or sometime this week (depends on when the mealworms i ordered come). One of my colonies had a die off unfortunately ( i didn't realize they were low on water) but there are still many left. My other colony is doing much better no die offs I'm thinking of getting a heat mat for them (because ANTdrew your colony is growing way faster than mine ever has) recommendations are appreciated.  It also looks like the single queen colony i started also made it so that's great, overall i'm excited to start this season lol.

Any one whose colony survive can you post the hibernation temperature you kept them at? I tried to keep mine at 8C (~46F) but i think the lowest it reached was 10C (50F).

• ANTdrew likes this

#97 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 3 2021 - 2:38 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Great to see you’re back, Nanos, and ready to kick off the Monomorium mania! I definitely recommend getting a 15 watt heat cable for yours. I use a Zoo Med cable.
As for hibernating, I had mine in a mini-fridge for a few weeks, but that turned out to be way too cold, just slightly above freezing! I pulled them out, and they recovered, at which point I moved them to my parents’ unheated basement that varies between the low 50s to the mid 40s. It’s basically perfect for hibernating ants.
  • Nanos likes this

#98 Offline NicholasP - Posted April 25 2021 - 9:14 AM

NicholasP

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • LocationGrand Rapids, Michigan

Great to see you’re back, Nanos, and ready to kick off the Monomorium mania! I definitely recommend getting a 15 watt heat cable for yours. I use a Zoo Med cable.
As for hibernating, I had mine in a mini-fridge for a few weeks, but that turned out to be way too cold, just slightly above freezing! I pulled them out, and they recovered, at which point I moved them to my parents’ unheated basement that varies between the low 50s to the mid 40s. It’s basically perfect for hibernating ants.

Hey ANTdrew I have a question. How long do Monomorium Minium queens live?

#99 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2021 - 10:43 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,405 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
It’s definitely longer than the one year the internet says. I know Nanos has queens older than that, and my queens are getting close to a year old now.
  • Nanos likes this

#100 Offline Antkeeper01 - Posted April 26 2021 - 7:33 AM

Antkeeper01

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationA random state in the US

update?

1X Pogonomyrmex occidentalis 40-50 Workers

1X Solenopsis molesta 10 Workers (mono)

Ants I Want: Crematogaster sp, Camponotus Sp., Ponera Pennsylvanica, Mymercocystus sp.

My Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kUjx-dPFMyVqOLw

Join Our Fledgling Discord Server https://discord.com/...089056687423489

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minimum, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users