• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Monomorium Minimum Info

minimum monomorium

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#41 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 29 2020 - 3:46 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Guess I'll join the fun! Didn't realize M. minimum was such a popular species haha. I've only ever seen two queens, one of which was this year. I currently have her in a test tube setup, and have had her for about two weeks now. Since nobody is going to try and raise a colony from a single queen, I figured this documentation might be useful. Here's a photo from a few days ago, I'll get better one's soon:

IMG 6601

• DJoseph98, Karma, ANTdrew and 3 others like this

Spoiler

#42 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 29 2020 - 4:16 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!

• CatsnAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#43 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 29 2020 - 4:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Join the Minimumists!
  • CatsnAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#44 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Damn. I one of the three Monomorium queens kicked the bucket. Still have two in the tube and a big brood pile.
3/7 I found croaked. These must have a high mortality rate.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#45 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:17 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Was she killed or did she just die?

Edited by Antkid12, July 31 2020 - 3:18 AM.

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#46 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 31 2020 - 3:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Was she killed or did she just die?

No signs of foul play, so I can only assume she just croaked. Myrmicines love doing that. All ants, honestly.
  • Karma, CatsnAnts, Antkid12 and 1 other like this

#47 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 31 2020 - 6:51 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Oof, all my hopes and dreams for this species are riding on my one queen, hopefully she’ll make it. She currently has a few large larvae.

Spoiler

#48 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2020 - 4:53 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
The pupae are darkening for my two remaining queens. I expect nanitics by the weekend.

#49 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 6 2020 - 10:19 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
Can I say Tetramorium immigrans is a wanna-be Monomorium minimum when comparing their looks.

Edited by TechAnt, August 6 2020 - 10:19 AM.

• Antkeeper01 and gs5248 like this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#50 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 6 2020 - 10:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

They're like 2-3x the size and not as shiny, but there are some similarities.

#51 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 6 2020 - 10:37 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

They're like 2-3x the size and not as shiny, but there are some similarities.

Exactly.
My Ants:

#52 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2020 - 5:30 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
My Monomorium minimum queens just got their first nanitics! They were kept in the low to mid 80s for 31 days after laying the first eggs. From a high of seven queens, only two survived, plus I let some go that wouldn’t settle down.
I’ll probably keep them in a tub and tube set up until I can get an inception chamber or something like that. I’ll post a pic later today.
  • DJoseph98 and CatsnAnts like this

#53 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted August 15 2020 - 7:22 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

My Monomorium minimum queens just got their first nanitics! They were kept in the low to mid 80s for 31 days after laying the first eggs. From a high of seven queens, only two survived, plus I let some go that wouldn’t settle down.
I’ll probably keep them in a tub and tube set up until I can get an inception chamber or something like that. I’ll post a pic later today.

Awesome! I can't wait to see!

Mine have had pupae for about a week now.

• ANTdrew likes this

Spoiler

#54 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 15 2020 - 7:24 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Congrats!

• ANTdrew likes this

#55 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2020 - 11:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

As promised, here is a photo of my duo with their first nanitics, which are much bigger than I expected, to be honest:

I'm going to name the duo Bil and Hjuki, but how will I tell them apart?? :unknown:

• CatsnAnts, AntsDakota and Antkeeper01 like this

#56 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 15 2020 - 12:15 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
Adorable little ants. I want to pet them cause they are Monomins. Also, you must become a mind reader to tell what they are saying so you know who is which queen. I thought everyone knew this was the obvious way to tell your polygonus queens apart?
My Ants:

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2020 - 12:24 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Adorable little ants. I want to pet them cause they are Monomins. Also, you must become a mind reader to tell what they are saying so you know who is which queen. I thought everyone knew this was the obvious way to tell your polygonus queens apart?

Ah, hadn’t thought of that. Bee-keeping paint marking would be super cool, too. Mettcollsuss did that with some Prenolepis once, I think.
  • Antkid12 likes this

#58 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 15 2020 - 12:29 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Ah, hadn’t thought of that. Bee-keeping paint marking would be super cool, too. Mettcollsuss did that with some Prenolepis once, I think.

That would be awesome!

#59 Offline TechAnt - Posted August 15 2020 - 12:30 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

I was writing that then deleted lol because it was actually real. But y’know that could work, only thing I’m worried about is Queen stress / she being squished.

Edited by TechAnt, August 15 2020 - 12:31 PM.

My Ants:

#60 Offline ANTdrew - Posted August 15 2020 - 12:36 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yeah, I’d do that right after collecting them. Wouldn’t be worth the stress now.
  • Antkid12 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minimum, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users