• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Monomorium Minimum Info

minimum monomorium

• Please log in to reply
152 replies to this topic

#21 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 17 2020 - 6:42 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
  • LocationUrbanna, Virginia

I hope the queens live longer than a year!! Or at least I get reproductive brood to perhaps have them mate...oh well, just another challenge.

• Karma and ANTdrew like this

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 17 2020 - 6:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Let’s document our findings on here. My three queens have a big egg pile now. It’s funny how they’re all huddled over the eggs in a circle. They don’t care at all being checked on.

Edited by ANTdrew, July 17 2020 - 6:59 AM.

• Karma likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 17 2020 - 7:57 AM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Let’s document our findings on here. My three queens have a big egg pile now. It’s funny how they’re all huddled over the eggs in a circle. They don’t care at all being checked on.

yes, I can do that, I have been taking some macro photos of them to keep progress checks...I really like this species so it is good to start from scratch and see how they develop.

• TennesseeAnts and ANTdrew like this

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2020 - 9:13 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Monomorium minimum flew again this morning after some heavy thunderstorms we had last night. I came across a huge flight in the parking lot of a nature park by my home. This time, males were landing on queens perched on the blades of grass and even just on the curb. Many of the queens were already wingless, so I don't think they really fly much at all. I collected four more queens and added them to my three queen grouping (whose egg pile keeps growing). And then there were seven.

• AntsDakota and Froggy like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#25 Offline Nogbert - Posted July 21 2020 - 9:25 AM

Nogbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

i caught a queen yesterday that i assumed to be Mono. min. but after seeing your pics I'm not sure. the queen i have is considerably smaller (!)

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2020 - 9:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Monomorium queens and males are WAY bigger than you'd expect; the size discrepancy between workers and reproductives must be one of the biggest I've seen.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#27 Offline Nogbert - Posted July 21 2020 - 10:25 AM

Nogbert

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

huh, interesting. really need a macro lens to get a good pic of this queen... i'd say it's like 4mm long

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 21 2020 - 10:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That sounds about right, sizewise.

#29 Offline Nanos - Posted July 21 2020 - 8:54 PM

Nanos

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationSalina, Kansas

Oh man i'm so happy there is more interest in Monomorium minimum right now. This year (2020) in central kansas besides one wandering queen on july 5th  i've only seen alates on July 17 (after a storm), they were on a tall structure and the whole colony was out, males would land to mate with the female but would get attack by the workers (first time seeing this). Despite being attacked the males still sought out females and mated with them. i also saw some females being attacked. This to me suggest that some females flew to that location. 

They definitely live more than a year, i have two colonies with multiple queens from 2019, one has 4 the other i think 3. Their population was very low last year but right now they are exploding (I'll post pictures at some point). I'm interested to know if they can have a healthy colony with one queen, i tried in 2018 but they died. I killed all the workers while hibernating and they never recovered from that. This year i have 2 groups of 3 queens and 3 individual queens, we will see how they do. 

I am all in for documenting what we find. I'll update the first post as much as i can with all the info you guys have shared. 

• ANTdrew likes this

#30 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 22 2020 - 9:51 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Man, seeing minimum alates makes ergatogyna pale in comparison.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#31 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 22 2020 - 9:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Man, seeing minimum alates makes ergatogyna pale in comparison.

How so?

#32 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 22 2020 - 9:58 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

They're much smaller, thinner, and less interesting looking.

#33 Offline VoidElecent - Posted July 22 2020 - 10:02 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I've always wanted to keep Monomorium minimum; one of my favorite species

• CatsnAnts and ANTdrew like this

#34 Offline NickAnter - Posted July 22 2020 - 10:06 AM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

The Monomorium here have alate queens that are only 3mm long. And they are indistinguishable to the naked eye from the black solenopsis sp that is here.

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#35 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 22 2020 - 10:11 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Ergatogyna is the only sp recorded in California so far. But it could be something else.

#36 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 27 2020 - 11:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update:

I'm back to just a three queen grouping of these ants. When I checked their tube last, I found two of the new queens died or were killed. The other two were digging at the cotton to get out, so I just let them leave. It seems like the group didn't mesh as easily as I'd hoped.

#37 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 27 2020 - 1:57 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I've always wanted to keep Monomorium minimum

I know I've already said this, but me too.......

• ANTdrew likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#38 Offline PurdueEntomology - Posted July 27 2020 - 2:12 PM

PurdueEntomology

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 562 posts
IMG 2251
Album: Monomorium minimum
5 images
0 comments

Some photos of the group effort underway!!

• ANTdrew likes this

#39 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 29 2020 - 10:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

The brood continues to develop nicely in my three queen grouping. I've had them two weeks now:

• AntsDakota likes this

#40 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 29 2020 - 12:48 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Crematogastrinis in general seem to grow quite fast, despite the reputation going mostly to Tetramorium.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minimum, monomorium

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users