• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2111 replies to this topic

#1521 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 3 2019 - 5:57 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
🙄Guess I picked the wrong time to be out of town😕

#1522 Offline Fitzysgto - Posted June 5 2019 - 5:13 PM

Fitzysgto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I'm also from Mass. Lots of Camponotus pennsylvanicus in my area. 

• noebl1 likes this

#1523 Offline Scherme - Posted June 6 2019 - 6:32 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA

jeez. I have been on the lookout for C. Pennsylvanicus and have not spotted any.

I am hoping to grab a few so it forces me to update my journals  :lol:

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#1524 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 6 2019 - 6:36 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Yesterday I found my first dealate at 12:30p, and was still finding C. pennsylvanicus and C. nearcticus at 7pm flying, quite a large flight.

I am guessing with the 80Fs over the weekend, we should see them still flying. Camponotus fly many many times.

• ConcordAntman likes this

#1525 Offline Fitzysgto - Posted June 6 2019 - 12:21 PM

Fitzysgto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I just found red and black  ants. what are these?

#1526 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 7 2019 - 1:28 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I just found red and black  ants. what are these?

Do you mean some red ants and some black ants or ants that are red and black? A picture would help. If they look like this, it’s Camponotus americanus
gallery_3143_1270_225918.jpeg

#1527 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 7 2019 - 1:33 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Yesterday I found my first dealate at 12:30p, and was still finding C. pennsylvanicus and C. nearcticus at 7pm flying, quite a large flight.

I am guessing with the 80Fs over the weekend, we should see them still flying. Camponotus fly many many times.

Today I saw my first C. pennsylvanicus queen of the season. I’m still looking for C. americanus. I’ve found workers but no queens. Do you think they’ll be flying? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

#1528 Offline Fitzysgto - Posted June 7 2019 - 6:13 PM

Fitzysgto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

they're red bodies and black abdomens. can't take a good pic. 

#1529 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 7 2019 - 7:09 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
I suggest you invest in getting this:
https://www.amazon.c...&s=books&sr=1-1
I’ve found it helpful and informative.

#1530 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 10 2019 - 4:07 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Every 3-4 weeks, I use an aspirator to vacuum out debris from my nests. The ants get pretty worked up with my “housekeeping”. About 15 minutes after I’d finished and I thought the colony had calmed down, the queen ventured into the outworld!
gallery_3143_1270_1469369.jpeg

I was worried that I’d stressed her out but eventually she returned to the nest and actually began laying eggs!!
http://www.formicult...hread/?p=117275
Is it common for claustral queens to leave the nest? Should I limit my housecleaning to avoid overstressing the queens??
  • noebl1 and ANTdrew like this

#1531 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 10 2019 - 4:17 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

they're red bodies and black abdomens. can't take a good pic.

If they’re large (5-7.5 mm), could be C. chromaiodes, C. nearcticus, or C. novaeboracensis. Check the field guide.

#1532 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 10 2019 - 5:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

You got some light reading back there for your ants.  :lol:

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1533 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 18 2019 - 5:47 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
When I checked my colonies this morning, it was apparent I had a serious problem.
gallery_3143_1270_437865.jpeg

My C. pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/28/2018 was dead with a ruptured gaster and covered with a fungus.
gallery_3143_1270_85594.jpeg

Her antenna and two of her forelegs had been amputated.
gallery_3143_1270_61387.jpeg

While I doubt this was an inciting event, this was the same queen that took a “walkabout” after I’d vacuumed the nest. She laid eggs later that day with no sign of any problem other than a distended gaster (which I thought was filled with eggs). Eight days later, she’s dead☹️. It’s not clear whether the fungal infestation was the cause of demise or occurred post-mortem. I suspect the amputations were post-mortem though. In addition, I’ve noted 3 worker deaths in this colony over the week. I’ve not had any (that I could tell) in my other two colonies which (at this point) appear healthy.

As these three queens were captured within 48 hours of each other in my yard last year and have shared identical diets and nest conditions, I’m concerned for the viability of my two surviving colonies. I’ve been careful to keep the nectar dispensers and feeding dishes segregated to avoid cross-contamination, but I’m still worried.

I’ll likely never know what was the cause. I will closely follow my survivors to see what develops but, I’m not sure what to do with the surviving eggs, larvae, and pupae from the dead queen. I’ve already noted the deaths so I expect this colony to self destruct. I’ve also scanned the thread on the release of captive colonies and understand the argument against releasing. So, I should euthanize this colony if it doesn’t die on its own😢. Advice actively solicited...

#1534 Offline gaurangpanchal - Posted June 19 2019 - 10:24 AM

gaurangpanchal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationBoston, Massachusetts

I am new to ant-keeping and have been gathering information for over a year now. This summer, I resolved to start a colony and care for it. I made my account on this forum a couple days ago and I am excited to catch/buy a queen.

I live in Boston and really appreciate any advice regarding nuptial flights, spotting queen ants, or buying queen ants.

Thanks in advance.

#1535 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 19 2019 - 10:44 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I am new to ant-keeping and have been gathering information for over a year now. This summer, I resolved to start a colony and care for it. I made my account on this forum a couple days ago and I am excited to catch/buy a queen.

I live in Boston and really appreciate any advice regarding nuptial flights, spotting queen ants, or buying queen ants.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome!!!  Camponotus flights are winding down a bit... but the Tetramorium, Formica, Lasius and other flights will be ramping up very soon :)   Walking walking and more walking, especially on hot/humid days. It's basically right place, right time, right weather conditions usually.   Depending on the species, urban vs rural areas will matter a bit.  However parks tend to have ants for sure.  Sidewalks are a great place to spot them, even drive ways.  I find a large number of my queens by just walking up and down my driveway.

• gaurangpanchal likes this

#1536 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 19 2019 - 10:51 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

@ConcordMan... Sometimes things just happen that you have no control of.  I had 3 Tetramorium I got from a friends pool I kept out of 13 queens that were all fertile/mated.  I kept those 3 and gave the rest away.  1 colony died just before diapause in year 2, and the other two died just after diapause in year 3.  Fluke? Something I was doing wrong?  Genetic issues? Will never know.  Don't beat yourself up over it.

The other worker deaths may or may not be related, that's hard to tell.  I'd obviously keep an eye on the other two colonies to be safe, and euthanize the remaining workers and brood from the first one that failed.

Edited by noebl1, June 19 2019 - 10:52 AM.

#1537 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 19 2019 - 3:12 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Noebl1,
The colony survivors have been euthanized and the formicarium cleaned with hot water and vinegar (per THA). I’ve not seen any Camponotus flights this spring as large as the ones last year. Anyone got C. americanus queens for sale?
  • noebl1 likes this

#1538 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 19 2019 - 3:25 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I was out digging in the yard tonight, and stumbled on a recently dead Tetramorium male alate on the roof of the coop, so I guess they've started flying (at least in small numbers). Being so hot/humid, guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

I didn't get any C. americanus queens this year, sorry :(  Wasn't so lucky this season for them at all.

#1539 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 21 2019 - 2:20 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Keep an eye out this weekend, especially Sunday for flights. Parasitic Lasius, Camponotus, and even Tetramorium could fly.

#1540 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted July 3 2019 - 5:15 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
I had no luck finding anything but C. americanus workers in my hummingbird feeders so last Sunday I met akaant and adopted a 20-30 worker C. americanus colony!
gallery_3143_1270_127165.jpeg

So far, they seem to be settling in.
gallery_3143_1270_521914.jpeg
  • rbarreto and ANTdrew like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users