• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2111 replies to this topic

#1261 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 18 2018 - 9:13 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Someone in MA on Discord found a couple Tetramorium dealates, so they are flying.

#1262 Offline greenavacado - Posted June 18 2018 - 1:41 PM

greenavacado

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationSeacoast NH

Someone in MA on Discord found a couple Tetramorium dealates, so they are flying.

I found two Tetra male alates up here, sadly no queens.

#1263 Offline mallonje - Posted June 19 2018 - 1:34 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Yeah I am not finding Anything! 

Founding:

1 P. Imparis queen caught 4/26/18

2 L. Umbratus caught 5/8/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/7/18 1st Eggs 5/17/18 

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/17/18 1st Eggs 5/22/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/31/18

1 T. Caespitum(?) queen caught 6/1/18

#1264 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 19 2018 - 1:44 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

There was a Tetramorium flight here in CT! just caught 14 or so queens (some with wings still attached, others with either one or two or all of them removed),

Edited by ctantkeeper, June 20 2018 - 7:25 AM.

• greenavacado likes this

#1265 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted June 20 2018 - 1:51 PM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

Did some yard work today and noticed a bunch of wide ant holes I'd never noticed before. Not sure if they are getting ready to fly or not. I did see these ants digging a wider entrance and at least one male alate scurry back into the hole. 

IMG 1221

I know the pic is bad but they were super small maybe 1 or 2 mm in size. Pavement ants maybe? Still learning which ants are which they all look the same to me haha

I also dug up this colony by accident on the edge of my driveway. once I saw them I left them to move and watched for awhile. It was super interesting to see them dig themselves out and start to move. Gave me the idea to see if I could create a preferable area for them nearby. 

Has anyone ever tried to trick a wild colony into a formicarium for collection? If they d move to the area I created I'll post up and maybe I will try again with a formicarium haha. 

IMG 1225

Id really like to catch some tetra queens so i'll be watching that nest area. 

#1266 Offline akaant - Posted June 21 2018 - 6:05 AM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA
Found 2 tetramorium queens on my car this morning.

Edited by akaant, June 21 2018 - 6:06 AM.

• noebl1 and rdurham02 like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1267 Offline fleetingyouth - Posted June 21 2018 - 8:29 AM

fleetingyouth

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationQuincy, MA

I saw what I think is  another male Tertra alate last night. Thought they might fly this morning but either they did and I can't find any or they didn't. 

#1268 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 23 2018 - 5:01 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Just checking my queens today and I’m worried I have some problems!
https://www.4shared....BF3-AED1DD.html
There is mold in all three tubes and the queen with the most mature brood is the least active. Any advice would be graciously accepted.

#1269 Offline rdurham02 - Posted June 23 2018 - 5:19 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Small Tetramorium flight here yesterday evening around 6:00PM (Westbrook, Maine). Strangely, the temp. was relatively cool at around 70 degrees. I was tipped off by an alate (male) being dragged off by a Camponotus major in the parking lot of my work. Found one queen closer to where I park my car. 

• noebl1 likes this

#1270 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 23 2018 - 5:43 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Just checking my queens today and I’m worried I have some problems!
https://www.4shared....BF3-AED1DD.html
There is mold in all three tubes and the queen with the most mature brood is the least active. Any advice would be graciously accepted.

I wouldn't worry, mold usually is not a big deal; often cause more stress by trying to help with mold than just leaving it alone.  Once she gets her first nanitics, and you remove the cotton ball, you can can either attach another test tube to its end and see if they move, or put a couple test tubes in an outworld and let them move on their own there.  Most test tubes end up with mold in them at some point (I've gone months with mold and no problems).  Often when queens have brood, there's nothing for them really to do, and they sit motionless.

Edited by noebl1, June 23 2018 - 5:44 AM.

• mallonje and ConcordAntman like this

#1271 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 23 2018 - 5:46 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 759 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Thanks noebl1!
  • noebl1 likes this

#1272 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 23 2018 - 5:46 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Hit post too early...  This week looks like a potential for more flights as hot/humid weather inbound, though never guess it by today's weather :)

Edited by noebl1, June 23 2018 - 5:48 AM.

• Aquaexploder and ConcordAntman like this

#1273 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 23 2018 - 5:49 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

I'm really hoping I didn't miss the local Tetra flight here. It's been oddly absent or maybe the colonies in my yard aren't ready yet. Perhaps this week will be a good one, especially with the rain and the good weather coming.

• noebl1 and ConcordAntman like this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#1274 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 23 2018 - 5:55 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

I'm really hoping I didn't miss the local Tetra flight here. It's been oddly absent or maybe the colonies in my yard aren't ready yet. Perhaps this week will be a good one, especially with the rain and the good weather coming.

FWIW I haven't seen any here either and I have several large colonies of them, so I am wondering if they are local flights based on local conditions.  Last couple of years I didn't see any Tetramorium until July, and they fly for several weeks, so I wouldn't worry yet. I've been on discord for awhile, and there hasn't been a lot of Nuptial reports for Camponotus at all in the north east, only some Tetramorium and Nylanderia.  I am really thinking due to the long cool Spring, a lot of flights may just be delayed, so we'll see.  Possible this year is a fluke and not many Camponotus flights, but I'd be surprised.  Last year's Camponotus flight was smaller than previous years, but still large (and that was after the 2016 drought affects.)  Last year wasn't a bad summer at all, so wouldn't think flights this year would be worse.

• Myrmidon and ConcordAntman like this

#1275 Offline mallonje - Posted June 23 2018 - 8:39 AM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

The Tetramorium queen alate I caught hasn't laid eggs yet. 

The Colony I spotted and ID'd earlier, where I saw the flight off the fence, appears to be completely dead - the mounds were not rebuilt after the last few rains, and no signs of workers since the swarm. I don't think it was treated because there's a thriving lasius colony just feet away. 

I'm seeing Camponotus workers everywhere, even found a C. Americanus colony (Man they are pretty) - but haven't seen any alates in a while.

Found a new species, just workers, that I haven't ID'd yet.

Here's hoping the rain tonight shakes things up and sets the stage for a good week. 

• noebl1, Aquaexploder and ConcordAntman like this

Founding:

#1276 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 23 2018 - 2:15 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

@mallonje  I'd hold on to her for a bit, she could take a few weeks to lay before you get too nervous.  I've also noticed the Tetramorium colonies here have been not working on their mounds, while the Lasius have been, so also betting the cold/wet weather. 

Now you can probably see why I like C. americanus so much, they look really nice and won't invade houses...  Their caramel color looks awesome in full sun...

Post some pics and we can attempt an ID.

#1277 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 24 2018 - 12:10 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Saw my first parasitic Lasius in 3 weeks out looking for a host colony... wonder if that's a sign conditions may be improving?

Checked on my Camponotus today, they are doing really well.  My C. nearticus are starting to have their first pupae, and my C. americanus seem to all have larvae now too:

Czf71vP.jpg

• akaant, Myrmidon, rdurham02 and 2 others like this

#1278 Offline mallonje - Posted June 24 2018 - 4:59 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
I have my first Nanitic!!

My first C. Pennsylvanicus queen is now sitting on a big old brood pile.

Now I want to make sure I get this right, I keep her bottled up until the first full worker ecloses correct? Or should I feed her now?
  • noebl1, ConcordAntman and greenavacado like this

Founding:

#1279 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 24 2018 - 5:09 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Congrats!!!  I usually give them nectar in a cotton ball on a piece of foil as soon as they have their first worker active.  Often one or both will go over and gorge themselves depending on how long she's been out of her original colony.  Lasius for example go nuts as could be 6-7 months since she fed last.  I usually put the test tube into an outworld as soon as there are a couple of workers.  Usually they will start pulling at the cotton, so a good indicator they need to get out.  In the past when I had Camponotus, you need to make sure you start offering foods sooner than later or they will start to eat each other once you have a couple workers.  Usually the weakest worker ends up protein for the brood if not fed...

I saw a Lasius interjectus queen alate being eaten by an assassin fly tonight on the window, so guessing they flew at some point today.

My original ID of a parasitic Lasius may actually had been a Tapinoma queen, they were indeed flying today, and didn't realize the gaster on them isn't huge. 

• rbarreto, mallonje and ConcordAntman like this

#1280 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 25 2018 - 3:55 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

So I'm pretty excited, my April 2017 P. imparis laid their 2nd batch of eggs their 2nd YEAR!!!!!!! :D  I had given up on them TBH.

EDIT: It's the 1st batch of 2018, but the 2nd time she's ever laid.  They lay in batches so may not lay again this year, hopefully all 6 eggs hatch or she's not going to make it (unless by some miracle she lays more.)

gvlgZVG.jpg

Edited by noebl1, June 25 2018 - 4:03 PM.

• akaant, rdurham02, rbarreto and 3 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users