• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2111 replies to this topic

#181 Offline akaant - Posted April 16 2017 - 4:52 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

P.Imparis flew today. Probably one of that last flights for this area.

Edited by akaant, April 16 2017 - 5:35 PM.

• Nathant2131 likes this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#182 Offline randeee - Posted April 16 2017 - 4:55 PM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Anybody's P.Imparis have eggs yet? Mine do not, but appear to have settled in nicely. Also if we got any Local folks in need of queens, and once I see how many get workers, would be willing to share my extras. I'm leaning toward having a polygynous colony of about 5 queens, that leaves three to spare if everything goes well.

I caught my P. imparis queens on the 10th and added 6 of them into a test tube. They've calmed down and I guess one of them laid some eggs that they are all caring for.
69pvSsl.jpg

• Nathant2131, Cindy and RhodyAnts like this

#183 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 16 2017 - 5:11 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
I'm a bit jealous! I got mine as singles still. Figuring on pairing them up using the test tube portals from AC. THA has a few vids on pairing his P. Imparis up. I think he just placed all his TT set ups in an outworld and opened them up.

#184 Offline randeee - Posted April 16 2017 - 5:17 PM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

I'm a bit jealous! I got mine as singles still. Figuring on pairing them up using the test tube portals from AC. THA has a few vids on pairing his P. Imparis up. I think he just placed all his TT set ups in an outworld and opened them up.

I had a previous colony that did decently from being paired together so I figured the results would be identical. Not gonna lie though I just dumped them all in one tube one by one. This is kind of a last ditch effort at an experiment haha. So far they seem to be doing well though. I'm more worried about when I have to move them into a formicarium... but I think I'll keep them in the tube for a long long time.

#185 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 16 2017 - 5:31 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I just checked on all my ants...  my P. imparis haven't laid yet also found on the 10th, but nice to see all seven of them are still alive however.

Some of my Lasius neoniger queens I caught last Fall finally starting laying that I took out of hibernation about 2-3 weeks ago.  Huge piles of eggs too.  There's at least two I can see for sure, but noticed one had them a bit farther along and nestled deeply in the cotton (also white), so may have more laying than I think.  

I attempted an interesting experiment with my Myrmecina americana based on a suggestion at the time by when ID'ed by Batspiderfish...  One with an AC test tube portal with a small amount coconut fiber and a springtail culture, the other the same EXCEPT two test tubes taped together instead of using a AC Test tube portal.  The test tube portal one is impossible to keep hydrated with the little bit of coconut fiber, and queen hides in test tube; springtail culture also seems to have failed.  In the two test tube one, the queen moved into the test tube with the coconut fiber, and the springtail culture in there is still going.  Since they are taped together, very little humidity loss so noticeably more humid.  If this seem to do ok, I may end up doing a journal.  I think this week I'll convert the first queen over to the same two test tubes and see how it goes.  

I also need to update my Tetramorium Sp E journal;  I thought last seasons larvae were ready to eclose previously, but taking a bit longer than I thought.  I could tell by the coloration it appeared a handful did finally eclose.  However they are getting very close though to a huge population bump from what I can tell.

I really need to get my ant cabinet up and assembled.

• randeee, Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#186 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 17 2017 - 9:01 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
Will be home at 3. Excited to see what other ants will be active beside the usuals.

#187 Offline Scherme - Posted April 17 2017 - 9:43 AM

Scherme

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  • LocationWestfield, MA
Was in RI yesterday. Missed out on possible flights yesterday. P. Imparis done for the year? That is unfortunate. Not gunna be warm around here for a while.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

Tetramorium immigrans | Journal

Lasius Neoniger | Journal

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus | Journal

Camponotus Chromaiodes | Journal

Schermicarium - DIY | Journal

#188 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 19 2017 - 11:27 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Lots and lots of ants active yesterday and the day before in Dracut; A couple medium-sized Tetramorium wars, Lasius neoniger active, Formica fusca-group, and also been seeing a lot of these bicolored Formica with big mounds. Also a Monomorium mound.

Also found a couple uncommon species I had never found before; Crematogaster sp. foraging and Tapinoma sessile foraging.

I was in Newburyport today in an urban area and it was pretty cold; Just some Tetramorium on their mounds' surfaces.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 19 2017 - 11:27 AM.

• Cindy likes this

#189 Offline Cindy - Posted April 19 2017 - 12:11 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

Lots and lots of ants active yesterday and the day before in Dracut; A couple medium-sized Tetramorium wars, Lasius neoniger active, Formica fusca-group, and also been seeing a lot of these bicolored Formica with big mounds. Also a Monomorium mound.

Also found a couple uncommon species I had never found before; Crematogaster sp. foraging and Tapinoma sessile foraging.

I was in Newburyport today in an urban area and it was pretty cold; Just some Tetramorium on their mounds' surfaces.

I'm liking that Crematogaster sp. find! Did you also see their nest?

#190 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 19 2017 - 12:14 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

I'm liking that Crematogaster sp. find! Did you also see their nest?
Just two foraging workers. I found them near leaf litter where there were very little ants otherwise; Same with the Tapinoma.

I'll take pics when I get to the Habitat.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 19 2017 - 12:14 PM.

#191 Offline rdurham02 - Posted April 20 2017 - 4:40 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Hello! I am new to this forum and in my first year of ant keeping. I live and Southern Maine (Greater Portland area) and found half a dozen of these beauties a week ago under rocks along the perimeter of our front lawn. I believe they are queens (Camponotus perhaps) although I am a newbie :D . Anyone else have luck with finding queens yet in Maine this year? I apologize for the poor picture quality in advance! It was my first time photographing ants. 

IMG 0851
IMG 0850
IMG 0852

Edited by rdurham02, April 20 2017 - 4:42 AM.

#192 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 20 2017 - 5:39 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Hello! Those are Lasius umbratus-group queens that flew last fall, most likely Lasius umbratus. They are Social Parasites. Check out this link for how to keep them:

http://www.formicult...cial-parasites/
  • rdurham02 likes this

#193 Offline rdurham02 - Posted April 20 2017 - 8:37 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Thanks Nathant!! I appreciate the information. Its an interesting read for sure. I had no idea this sort of parasitism existed within the ant world! Learn something new everyday I suppose. I'm going to give it a shot. Have you raised this species before? If so what method did you use? 

#194 Offline T.C. - Posted April 20 2017 - 8:46 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Meanwhile in Wisconsin.... no luck. :ugone2far:
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#195 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 20 2017 - 11:24 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Thanks Nathant!! I appreciate the information. Its an interesting read for sure. I had no idea this sort of parasitism existed within the ant world! Learn something new everyday I suppose. I'm going to give it a shot. Have you raised this species before? If so what method did you use?

I am planning to keep some Lasius Social Parasites using the callow method. Here's my journal:

http://www.formicult...y-discontinued/

#196 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 20 2017 - 11:42 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
I have been seeing 0 P. imparis Foraging ever since the flight-Perhaps already bundling up for estivation?
  • noebl1 likes this

#197 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 20 2017 - 11:47 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I have been seeing 0 P. imparis Foraging ever since the flight-Perhaps already bundling up for estivation?

Competition is high right with with other ants (Lasius and Tetramorium are very active), so possible.  However have you checked at night with a flashlight?  I thought i read they can be nocturnal as well, so wonder if now that the flights are over, their foraging is less frequent during the day? 

• Nathant2131 likes this

#198 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 20 2017 - 11:56 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Competition is high right with with other ants (Lasius and Tetramorium are very active), so possible.  However have you checked at night with a flashlight?  I thought i read they can be nocturnal as well, so wonder if now that the flights are over, their foraging is less frequent during the day?

I haven't checked at night yet. I have a feeling they've packed for the summer, but I'll try checking at night.

#199 Offline rdurham02 - Posted April 22 2017 - 3:57 AM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Found a colony of these guys in the woods under a slate-like rock by my house. I was thinking Lasius nearcticus and that they may be a good choice as host workers for my L. umbratus!

IMG 0839

Edited by rdurham02, April 22 2017 - 4:16 AM.

#200 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 22 2017 - 5:08 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

That could be Lasius flavus or Lasius nearcticus, a possible host for your colony. However, these could also be a social parasite colony. Try checking for female alates. If it is L. flavus or L. nearcticus, the female alates will be brownish yellow, and with a big gaster. If a social parasite,it  could be red, or grayish brown. They will have small gasters and big heads.

• rdurham02 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users