• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts Collective Journal (HUGE picture update - Ants + Formicarium - 7-13-2020)

formicarium temnothorax antkeeping catsnants blacklight small species

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#581 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 8 2020 - 12:08 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia
Looks great!
  • CatsnAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#582 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 8 2020 - 12:55 PM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California

Very nice! Do you think if you add more coats of paint the cracks will be filled in more? (Obviously this is the prototype and that doesn't matter that much, but i am curious if those would be able to be filled in)

• CatsnAnts likes this

#583 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 8 2020 - 1:06 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana

Very nice! Do you think if you add more coats of paint the cracks will be filled in more? (Obviously this is the prototype and that doesn't matter that much, but i am curious if those would be able to be filled in)

Yes, two coats of paint would definitely fill in the air bubbles/ cracks a little more, However, I’m still hoping that this new mixture will be a lot smoother with no air bubbles or cracks in the first place. I will likely put on two coats of paint just for aesthetics either way.

Spoiler

#584 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 8 2020 - 1:31 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
C&A, sign me up! I’m definitely interested!
  • TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts and TechAnt like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#585 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 8 2020 - 7:15 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Just curious, is there anyone in Indiana that wants some Pheidole bicarinata queens? I will sell them pretty cheap as I have quite a few (I would need to raise them to workers first to ensure that they are mated). Indiana is such a lonely state on this forum :(

(I might also be willing to sell some of my other species as well, I’ll probably open an ant store when I open my formicaria store.)

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 9 2020 - 4:13 AM.

Spoiler

#586 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 8 2020 - 7:18 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Just curious, is there anyone in Indiana that wants some Pheidole bicarinata queens? I will sell them pretty cheap as
I have quite a few (I would need to raise them to workers first to ensure that they are mated). Indiana is such a lonely state on this forum :(

(I might also be willing to sell some of my other species as well, I’ll probably open an ant store when I open my formicaria store.)

Same as TN. 

• CatsnAnts likes this

#587 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 2:50 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I have Pheidole bicarinata up to the ears as well. I could’ve collected ten more on Tuesday.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#588 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 9 2020 - 3:24 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

I have Pheidole bicarinata up to the ears as well. I could’ve collected ten more on Tuesday.

You'll need as many as you can get, trust me. They have a penchant for dying in captivity. The best advice I have is to skip hibernation with them, and I'm not even sure how that will play out for their long term health.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • CatsnAnts and ANTdrew like this

#589 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 3:57 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s what I figured. I currently have seven founding. Hopefully I can crack the code.

#590 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 9 2020 - 4:14 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

That’s what I figured. I currently have seven founding. Hopefully I can crack the code.

Let’s hope, you already know how my ones last year turned out.

Spoiler

#591 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 9 2020 - 4:29 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I made it to larvae, so that’s good. One step at a time, lol.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#592 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 10 2020 - 5:21 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Ant Colonies Update (lots of pictures!):
7/4/2020

All of my pictures were taken using an $8 macro lens, I have been putting some money aside for a better camera next year.

Established Colonies:

Temnothorax curvispinosus (1 queen)
I have a plan to put this colony in a sort of “homemade” hickory nut and place them somewhere outside where they can be free to move wherever they want, or I can observe them and feed them from my yard if they stay.

Temnothorax curvispinosus (no queen)
Updated in other journal.

Founding Colonies:

4X Pheidole bicarinata (1 queen)
Colony 1- Lots of eggs! All in a very neat pile, no larvae yet though:

Colony 2- Eggs as well:

*NEW* Colony 3- I actually ended up releasing a majority (about 15) of the Pheidole bicarinata queens that I caught recently. However, I’m taking Mad’s advice and decided to keep two just to be on the safe side. Neither have eggs yet.
*NEW* Colony 4- ^^^

Pheidole bicarinata (3 queen)
This colony has now surpassed their original egg pile by a lot. I’m still worried about when workers come because I know it is likely inevitable that they will fight:

5X Pheidole cf. tysoni (1 queen)
Colony 1- This queen has lots of eggs, still no larvae. I’m super excited for these, probably my favorite species by far, their coloration is gorgeous:

Colony 2- This queen is pretty much the same as queen 1, but a few of her eggs are scattered. I’m not too worried, as I just caught three more of these:

*NEW* Colony 3- All three of these queens are sitting in their collection container. I have test tubes arriving tomorrow (they sent me the wrong ones, so I had to get a replacement :()
*NEW* Colony 4- ^^^
*NEW* Colony 5- ^^^

Colobopsis impressa (1 queen)
This queen was moved into a piece of vinyl tubing to save space, and lo and behold, she laid a noodle egg. I’m going to need to move her back into a test tube once they arrive because the water reservoir on these “makeshift” test tubes is really crappy.

Temnothorax curvispinosus (15 queen)
I think they might be eating their eggs as they lay them, there’s not very many:

Temnothorax ambiguus (8 queen)
These queens are doing really well! I’m surprised at the size of the eggs compared to the queens:

2X Pheidole pilifera (1 queen)
Colony 1- Still no eggs:

*NEW* Colony 2- Just caught recently.

Crematogaster sp. (1 queen)
Slowed down on her egg-laying, still doing good:

*NEW* Solenopsis cf. molesta (6 queen)
I just caught six queens of these, waiting for test tubes so I can put them in one.

Temnothorax pergandei (1 queen)
EGGGSS, she laid two eggs:

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 10 2020 - 5:45 AM.

• TennesseeAnts, ANTdrew and AntsDakota like this

Spoiler

#593 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 10 2020 - 5:46 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I wonder if Pheidole need higher than normal tenperatures to found? Mine were in the 90s for a week when my AC crapped out before their eggs hatched. There between 82-87 now in my hot kitchen.
I hope your eggs hatch this year in any case.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#594 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 10 2020 - 5:48 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
You could put the vinyl in the tubing for the Colobopsis and attach it to the water cotton in the tube so she can drink.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#595 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 10 2020 - 6:01 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I wonder if Pheidole need higher than normal tenperatures to found? Mine were in the 90s for a week when my AC crapped out before their eggs hatched. There between 82-87 now in my hot kitchen.
I hope your eggs hatch this year in any case.

That could be the case. It would make sense to as of why the eggs haven’t been developing.

You could put the vinyl in the tubing for the Colobopsis and attach it to the water cotton in the tube so she can drink.

That’s a smart idea, I will do that once they arrive! Now I won’t have to disturb her with a move.

Spoiler

#596 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 10 2020 - 6:12 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
In my experience with Tetramorium and Aphaenogaster, the queens are completely docile around one another. It’s the workers who pick out the best one and slaughter the rest.
  • TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#597 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 10 2020 - 6:19 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

In my experience with Tetramorium and Aphaenogaster, the queens are completely docile around one another. It’s the workers who pick out the best one and slaughter the rest.

I have had Pheidole queens shred each other to pieces earlier this year, however, I believe you’re right. I’m hoping I can fool them by having three queens instead of just two :whistle:

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 10 2020 - 6:39 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#598 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 10 2020 - 6:31 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I’m also now just starting to realize I’m going to end up with way too many colonies if all of these queens are sucessful, so here are my plans:

What I want to keep:

Pheidole tysoni

Pheidole bicarinata (or just one if it’s a triple queen)

Pheidole pilifera

Unlimited Colobopsis sp.

1 large Temnothorax ambiguus colony

1 large Temnothorax curvispinosus colony

Unlimited Temnothorax pergandei sp.

A single, VERY food-limited Crematogaster colony (if it’s a special species besides cerasi or lineolata)
1 large Solenopsis (molesta, texana, carolinensis)

Now of course, if I have exactly everything I say on this list, it will still be way too much to take care of, especially with school approaching, so I will have to limit it down further later (although I’m assuming that a lot of the colonies won’t survive past hibernation, so I will decide then out of these)

EDIT:

ALSO, that means that I will be getting rid of my excess colonies and queens when they make it to workers (release them/ sell them dirt cheap), so if ANYONE from Indiana wants some queens, let me know! It’s not official yet, but I don’t want to release these colonies if someone else wants them.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 10 2020 - 6:35 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#599 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 10 2020 - 6:32 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

I have had Pheidole queens shred each other to pieces earlier this year, however, I believe your right. I’m hoping I can fool them by having three queens instead of just two :whistle:
The only pleometrophic ants I’ve kept that literally shred each other to pieces is Lasius. I had a founding pair together (I thought it was polygynous brevicornis, But was really neoniger), but just days after workers arrived both queens were in several pieces each.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#600 Offline ANTdrew - Posted July 10 2020 - 6:39 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If you limit a Crematogaster colony’s food, they will implode fast. I’ve seen it happen to several of my customers.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, temnothorax, antkeeping, catsnants, blacklight, small species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users