• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts Collective Journal (HUGE picture update - Ants + Formicarium - 7-13-2020)

formicarium temnothorax antkeeping catsnants blacklight small species

• Please log in to reply
625 replies to this topic

#561 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 7 2020 - 2:28 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
I think lighter colors like grey and unpainted on the inside, and vibrant on the outside, kinda like aus ants nests!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#562 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 7 2020 - 2:39 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Also forgot to mention how I attached the sand to the walls - I used a grout mixture and smeared it on the walls before packing sand into the tunnels.

Spoiler

#563 Offline M_Ants - Posted July 7 2020 - 2:43 PM

M_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,392 posts
  • LocationSan Diego CA

Did you buy the sand?

Veromessor pergandei

Veromessor andrei

Crematogaster sp. 

Pogonomyrmex cf cali and rugosus

Various Pheidole

C. yogi 

https://www.youtube....FG7utFVBA/about

#564 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 7 2020 - 2:45 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Did you buy the sand?

Yes, it’s all natural white beach sand.

Spoiler

#565 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 7 2020 - 2:49 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Formicarium Progress

I have finally figured out a way to add sand onto the walls of my formicarium!

The initial prototype that I posted some time (about a week ago), has had many small revisions and tweaks done to it, and there are many more I plan to do. For starters, I am now using a proportioned mix of sanded and un-sanded grout to increase durability but also keep absorption and ventilation. I am also going to sand down the sharp edges of the glass (I sliced my fingers at least 3 times while working with it), kind of an obvious thing to do. I’m also planning on making the water-reservoir’s enterance a bit steeper so it can be filled up just a little bit fuller. The larger sizes will now contain two water reservoirs, and finally, when pouring it, I plan on trimming down the frame so I can get a perfectly level bottom. (As a bonus, I might paint the outside, what colors would you guys prefer? I’m more of an aesthetic person with whites and grays, but I know a lot of people like vibrant colors such as greens and blues.) Here’s some pictures after I got done adding sand to the walls (it’s still a little wet, but the color should return to a light bone once it drys, I’ll take more photos later once it does (also, this is still the original prototype [that blue tape is to keep sand out of the water reservoir/mesh]):

And of course, I will clean up any rough spots/excess sand. This process did take quite a while, so it might affect the prices slightly. I want your opinions.

Also, all of the F. pallidelfulva workers from the experiment were released back into their wild colony today.

Looks great! What are you thinking of naming these formicariums?

Edited by AntsDakota, July 7 2020 - 2:57 PM.

• CatsnAnts likes this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#566 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 7 2020 - 2:56 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Well, for starters, I plan on having 8 different kinds. There will be 4 sizes, and each size will either be suited for small species or larger species (tubing, tunnel, and chamber size). The name for now is probably going to be something generic, such as simply calling it what it is - Ex. Temnogrid 4x5 Formicarium Sp. Size Small.

Edit: I also don’t have any other plans for other formicaria right now, as these are modular and are meant to be a “forever home”.

Double edit: now that I think about it, a size 5 3/4 x 6 3/4 is simply too big, so I will only have three sizes.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 7 2020 - 3:44 PM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#567 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 7 2020 - 4:17 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

The formicarium looks nice!  :)

• CatsnAnts likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#568 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 7 2020 - 4:19 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Looks like its near the beach / in the sand. I thought of "Coastal Hideaway" or "The Dunes Treasure" (I'm bad at making names lol)

• CatsnAnts likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#569 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 7 2020 - 4:22 PM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio

Well, for starters, I plan on having 8 different kinds. There will be 4 sizes, and each size will either be suited for small species or larger species (tubing, tunnel, and chamber size). The name for now is probably going to be something generic, such as simply calling it what it is - Ex. Temnogrid 4x5 Formicarium Sp. Size Small.

Edit: I also don’t have any other plans for other formicaria right now, as these are modular and are meant to be a “forever home”.

Double edit: now that I think about it, a size 5 3/4 x 6 3/4 is simply too big, so I will only have three sizes.
Are those sizes in inches?

• CatsnAnts likes this

#570 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 7 2020 - 4:28 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Looks like its near the beach / in the sand. I thought of "Coastal Hideaway" or "The Dunes Treasure" (I'm bad at making names lol)

Those are actually some pretty good names!

Are those sizes in inches?

Yes, I will have three sizes (each with a small and large species option)

2 3/4” x 3 3/4”

3 3/4” x 4 3/4” (this is the size of the of the prototype, the extra 3/4” includes the lip around the outside)

4 3/4” x 5 3/4”

Spoiler

#571 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 7 2020 - 4:31 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
Those are actually some pretty good names!

Thanks!

• CatsnAnts likes this
My Ants:

#572 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 8 2020 - 7:58 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
As promised, here’s the final result after the sand/grout dried. I do realize that this nest has a few hairline cracks/chips in it, but switching to a majority of sanded grout should easily fix that problem (also, letting it dry for a day longer before taking it out of the mold). I may paint this nest a yellow or green on the outside just to see how it looks. I will also be starting on the next formicarium soon, but first I need to prepare a few things/change some things. We’ll see if they’re at “selling standard”, but I’d like to run a few tests on the next formicarium as well, so it likely won’t be “sellable” until the third formicarium (plus, I need some formicaria for my own use, so I’ll be using the prototypes):

(Brighter lighting):

And just a heads up, I will only be making the 3 3/4” x 4 3/4” and the 4 3/4” x 5 3/4” formicaria to start off with. I will, however, have both options for small and large species. So in total, I will be making 4 types of nests for a while until I can “expand” my stock. I’ve been thinking on the price, and I’ve decided that I’m going to keep the prices the same ($36 and $48) for the smaller nest and larger nest respectively. I think it’s a reasonable price to ask for a hand-made piece, and I don’t want to make these something that is completely unaffordable. I am planning on having “sales” occasionally, too, so that should help for people that aren’t willing to spend much on formicaria. Just my thoughts.

Edit: why do I always think of something to say after I hit submit? Anyways, I also wanted to point out that these will be “ready to ship” formicaria, so you’ll see the finished product when you buy it.

Gosh Dang it - Double Edit: I also don’t know if I’m going to include extra sand now since the entire formicarium is coated in it (likely not).

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 8 2020 - 8:06 AM.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#573 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:09 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Colobopsis do best in groups, right?

In my experience, yes, they do.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#574 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:10 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Colobopsis do best in groups, right?

In my experience, yes, they do.

To bad I can never find more than one, humph.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

Spoiler

#575 Offline madbiologist - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:27 AM

madbiologist

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOhio
Missisippiensis won't even found if they aren't in a group.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#576 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:27 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

You should make one/two chamber founding formicariums, or outworlds, even All in One set-ups. I think, if you had more resources you could have a VERY successful ant keeping brand. Honestly this is some of the best custom formicaria made I have seen on the forum.

Edited by TechAnt, July 8 2020 - 8:28 AM.

• CatsnAnts likes this
My Ants:

#577 Offline Kaelwizard - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:31 AM

Kaelwizard

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPoway, California
If you paint it it may seal the cracks and then it will look even better than it already is.
  • CatsnAnts likes this

#578 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 8 2020 - 8:40 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Missisippiensis won't even found if they aren't in a group.

That explains why mine never laid eggs :(

You should make one/two chamber founding formicariums, or outworlds, even All in One set-ups. I think, if you had more resources you could have a VERY successful ant keeping brand. Honestly this is some of the best custom formicaria made I have seen on the forum.

Thank you :D
I do actually plan on having the 2x3 formicarium as a sort of founding formicaria, because that’s the smallest size that a water tower will fit (and it would only have two chambers). As for outworlds, this has been on my mind for a while - they are relatively simple to make, so I don’t see why I couldn’t make some. Like I said, I’ll look into expanding my inventory if these first few formicaria are successful. As for making all-in-one’s, I feel like it would be stealing from THA, so I’m trying to focus my brand around modularity and expansion, such as even having two outworlds, one at each end of the nest lol. I, so far, have it to where different sized nests can build on one another up to a certain point.

If you paint it it may seal the cracks and then it will look even better than it already is.

That’s another reason why I wanted to paint it! I’m hoping to completely remove the cracks/chips altogether by creating a more durable mixture this next prototype, but ya, it will most definitely give it a nice feel/look on the outside.

Spoiler

#579 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 8 2020 - 10:26 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
Final Result

And here we have it, the final version of the prototype! That was one heck of a ride to complete, but I will go a lot smoother now that I have a process down. Again, the next version I make will be a LOT smoother and will look slightly nicer, but here is the formicarium with acrylic paint on the outside (color: apricot):

(Brighter light):

I’m honestly super happy with how the prototype turned out. Even if these don’t sell, I’ll most certainly be making some for myself :lol:

Edit: I also decided not to paint the interior because I might mess up, and I also really like the natural look of it.

Edited by CatsnAnts, July 8 2020 - 10:28 AM.

• AntsDakota likes this

Spoiler

#580 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 8 2020 - 10:58 AM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

AWESOME! Would totally buy them if I were not getting TarHeel stuff, and if I had a colony that needed the room.

• CatsnAnts and M_Ants like this
My Ants:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, temnothorax, antkeeping, catsnants, blacklight, small species

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users