• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

District, Maryland, & Virginia Queen Watch

• Please log in to reply
899 replies to this topic

#701 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 18 2022 - 9:32 AM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.
I think it’s still to variable hot/cold. I haven’t really had luck with Camponotus in early April this time of year for that reason. I think they can tell the difference between warmer weather and a one-off warm spike.
After the beginning of this week, in Richmond, we should be done with nights below 40 for the rest of the year. After that I’ll probably start poking around during the morning subsequent to a nice storm.

I feel like in years past I spent so much effort this time of year trying for a catch with little to show for it. Then in may or June I catch queens without even looking for them. One was on my dining room table lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • ANTdrew and OiledOlives like this

#702 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 22 2022 - 3:33 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNorthern Virginia
Random girl climbed up my leg ... either flew or about to fly

Camponotus subbarbatus

Attached Images

• 20220422_191944.jpg
  • 20220422_191702.jpg

• VenomousBeast and TacticalHandleGaming like this

#703 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2022 - 3:11 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
So lucky!!!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#704 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 23 2022 - 4:32 AM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts

So lucky!!!

I almost let her go cause it seemed so unexpected and I figured she was just coming out .. but then I found a dead male on the table right near where I got her and realized there must have been a flight.

Attached Images

• 20220422_195206.jpg

Edited by Lillyrose, April 23 2022 - 4:32 AM.

#705 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2022 - 5:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I think they’ll be big flights Sunday evening. Temps will be high and winds will be very light.
  • Lillyrose and AntBoi3030 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#706 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 23 2022 - 6:05 PM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.
Yeah I may put some actual effort in tomorrow. Some casual dog walking and looking effort tonight was a bust.
Camponotus are my favorite of the native ants but I just don’t catch them in flight often. Always subsequent to the flight when they have made their chambers inside a log. I think it’s because I live in the city, but then again I do see Camponotus majors frequently crawling on the trees so I know there are plenty of developed colonies.

Edited by RVAOsprey, April 23 2022 - 6:06 PM.

#707 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 23 2022 - 6:23 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Camponotus are my least favorite of the native ants, but I love finding them because they’re all my customers want. It’s all about the Benjamins.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this

#708 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 23 2022 - 7:17 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
I just had another queen walk into my house .. and a second on the sidewalk

Attached Images

• 20220423_222950.jpg
  • 20220423_231357.jpg

#709 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 24 2022 - 2:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I just had another queen walk into my house .. and a second on the sidewalk

No way! I found nothing.

#710 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 24 2022 - 10:38 AM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.

Had a good feeling about the past few nights so I went to a local park and netted 2 Camponotus Chrom. Queens in about 10 minutes of bark checking. I probably could have gotten more but I only brought two canisters and I’m conservative about damaging any active wildlife nests, so if I see any workers I’ll leave the area alone. One of the two had minor gaster damage so I don't expect too much. 

I did see some larval grub about 2-3 inches long and as thick as a sharpie as well. I’m going to have to look that one up.
Okay so apparently it’s a June beetle larva but it’s twice the size of the next biggest one id ever seen so who knows.

Edited by RVAOsprey, April 24 2022 - 10:45 AM.

• ANTdrew likes this

#711 Offline Lillyrose - Posted April 24 2022 - 1:58 PM

Lillyrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
Another one walked into the house .... starting to wonder if they like me?

Attached Images

• 20220424_175530.jpg
  • 20220424_175310.jpg

• RVAOsprey likes this

#712 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 24 2022 - 2:16 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Dang! I feel even worse…

#713 Offline RVAOsprey - Posted April 24 2022 - 2:31 PM

RVAOsprey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA.
Out of curiosity, do you live in a forested region? I’ve had queens come into the house before but only once.

I’m just sitting out back in my 900sqft yard watching the birds and squirrels come to the feeders and keeping and eye out as it starts to cool off. Wouldn’t be surprised if I saw one just to have a bird snatch it up lol

Edited by RVAOsprey, April 24 2022 - 2:35 PM.

#714 Offline OiledOlives - Posted April 24 2022 - 6:25 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Thought it was too cold but apparently not. I got 18 nearcticus queens (saw a lot more, but they got away) and two pennsylvanicus queens. Only half of last years nearcticus catch though, disappointing.

#715 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted April 25 2022 - 7:36 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Camponotus are my least favorite of the native ants, but I love finding them because they’re all my customers want. It’s all about the Benjamins.

Very true, haha. They sell out within weeks for me. I've got probably 50 queens so far from the last few days.

#716 Offline ANTdrew - Posted May 2 2022 - 12:35 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I’m hoping for flights today after the heavy rain we had yesterday followed by warm temps today. Anybody see any yet?

#717 Offline drawpositive - Posted May 3 2022 - 7:47 AM

drawpositive

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationDelaware

Don't temperatures need to break 80 F before Camponotus queens fly?  I thought the rule of thumb was to look for the first day that temps reach 80 F then they should be expected to fly (and having a nice rain prior to the 80 F temp is a plus).  Am I off?  Should I be looking sooner?

#718 Offline aznphenom - Posted May 3 2022 - 7:53 AM

aznphenom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Don't temperatures need to break 80 F before Camponotus queens fly?  I thought the rule of thumb was to look for the first day that temps reach 80 F then they should be expected to fly (and having a nice rain prior to the 80 F temp is a plus).  Am I off?  Should I be looking sooner?

I know the exact answer but I am having a brain fart right now and don't have access to my antflights site or discord but Camponotus tends to fly first evening of the year where the temp is above 70F at sunset. That was true this year but we literally only had 1 night of that and it has been colder since. I can see that throwing the whole season off. Delaware is a little more north so maybe that day hasn't happened for yall yet.

• drawpositive likes this
Keeps: Camponotus, Tetra

Wants (Please reach out if you have them for sale if you’re in the US): Acromyrmex Sp., Atta Sp., Cephalotes Sp., Myrmecocystus Sp (Prefer Mexicanus), Odontomachus Sp. (Prefer Desertorum), Pachycondyla Sp., Pheidole Sp (Prefer Rhea. The bigger the better. Not the tiny bicarinata), Pogonomyrmex Sp (Prefer Badius)., Pseudomyrmex Sp. (Prefer the cute yellow ones)

#719 Offline OiledOlives - Posted May 13 2022 - 6:51 PM

OiledOlives

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • LocationVirginia

Camponotus pennsylvanicus drone and Lasius interjectus queen found.

• ANTdrew likes this

#720 Offline AntBoi3030 - Posted May 14 2022 - 4:16 PM

AntBoi3030

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 716 posts
  • LocationMaryland
It’s supposed to get into the 80s tomorrow. Should be perfect conditions for Nylanderia.

My favorite queens/colony’s:
Pheidole Tysoni, Selonopis Molesta, Brachymyrmex Depilis, Tetramorium Immagrians, Prenolepis Imparis, Pheidole Bicirinata 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users