• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Formicarium 09 Research and Design (Updated 11-12-2023)

formicarium out world ant nest how-to tutorial dspdrew

• Please log in to reply
345 replies to this topic

#261 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 18 2017 - 7:08 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't really have anything listed anywhere yet, except for the small #7 dirt boxes that byFormica sells on Amazon. Normally I just have people order from me via PM or email. I'm not sure if I want to ship over seas again though. I did once and it was a real hassle, not to mention very expensive.

#262 Offline JackPearl - Posted September 22 2017 - 6:01 AM

JackPearl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts

I don't really have anything listed anywhere yet, except for the small #7 dirt boxes that byFormica sells on Amazon. Normally I just have people order from me via PM or email. I'm not sure if I want to ship over seas again though. I did once and it was a real hassle, not to mention very expensive.

Ok fair enough :) I might try my hand at making a similiar nest idea or yours.

#263 Offline Seadogrun - Posted September 22 2017 - 7:32 AM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Hello DPSDrew - 

I just received my dirt box #7 today.  There is some "material in the vertical tubes.  It looks like really course sand, maybe (I have included a pic).  Is this supposed to be there?  Also is there a guide to getting it set up, how to water, etc?  

Thank you.

Chris

IMG_4643.jpg

Edited by Seadogrun, September 22 2017 - 7:34 AM.

#264 Offline drtrmiller - Posted September 22 2017 - 7:50 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Hello DPSDrew - 

I just received my dirt box #7 today.  There is some "material in the vertical tubes.  It looks like really course sand, maybe (I have included a pic).  Is this supposed to be there?  Also is there a guide to getting it set up, how to water, etc?  

Thank you.

Chris

IMG_4643.jpg

It's the contents of the hydration reservoir. Some may loosen in transit and fall in the tubes. Simply add water and it will fall back down inside. Never remove the tubes from the plastic reservoir.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#265 Offline Seadogrun - Posted September 22 2017 - 9:18 AM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Hello DPSDrew - 

Thank you.

Chris

IMG_4643.jpg

It's the contents of the hydration reservoir. Some may loosen in transit and fall in the tubes. Simply add water and it will fall back down inside. Never remove the tubes from the plastic reservoir.

Thanks!

And I now have a colony of a queen and about 20 pheidole workers.  They are in a much bigger test tube than what would fit in the dirt box.  How do you recommend I move them?  

I see only the port on the top and on the very bottom.

Also what is the plug on the bottom for?

Edited by Seadogrun, September 22 2017 - 11:09 AM.

#266 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 22 2017 - 6:19 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Hello DPSDrew - 

Thank you.

Chris

Thanks!

And I now have a colony of a queen and about 20 pheidole workers.  They are in a much bigger test tube than what would fit in the dirt box.  How do you recommend I move them?  

I see only the port on the top and on the very bottom.

Also what is the plug on the bottom for?

I just dump my ants where I want them. As for really small brood, I usually use a barbecue skewer to move them. If I was moving ants into one of these, I would just stick the small larvae and eggs to the side where the ants can find them. I don't  worry about making a mess, because the ants will clean it all up.

One potential problem though, is that these are not really designed for ants smaller than 3mm. Some Pheidole subgenera are only about 2mm, so I hope yours are one of the larger species. If you do try to house ants smaller than 3mm in these, they might be able to escape or find their way into the inner hydration container.

The plug on the bottom can be used to drain them if you ever add too much water. It can also be used to help move your ants out if you place it in the out world of a the new formicarium. I often use it to add queens that already have brood I don't want them to lose. I squirt water in the hole to carve out a chamber, and then install the queen and her brood. That keeps her from losing or burying her brood while digging a nest.

As for instructions, I haven't written anything up yet, but I need to.

I know I have described the best way to initially hydrate the nest a few times on the forum. I'll see if I can find the post and link it here.

Edit:
Found it.

The way I initially hydrate these nests is by squirting about a 1/4 inch of water on the surface. I take that opportunity to wash the dust off the sides of the plastic. That amount of water will completely soak all of the dirt, and then continue slowly soaking into the vermiculite in the inner container, leaving the nests with the perfect dampness for new queens to start digging their nests. The reason I soak all of the dirt in the beginning is so that as the upper layer dries out, it hardens, protecting the nest against collapse.

Keep an eye on it, because it might dry out a little faster than usual the first time. A lot of that water will slowly soak into the hydration media in the inner tank. It just takes a small amount of water added to the tank via the tube to dampen it a bit again. It's best to try to keep a nice gradient of moisture.

Edited by dspdrew, September 22 2017 - 6:37 PM.

#267 Offline Seadogrun - Posted September 22 2017 - 7:09 PM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
DSPDrew - Thank you very much. My colonies are pheidole megacephala. Do you think this will work for me? If not is there anything I can do to make it work?

If I do use this product, I just want to make sure I understand the transfer from the test tube. You are saying to just open the tube and dump everything into the dirt box?

Thanks for the help,

#268 Offline dspdrew - Posted September 30 2017 - 2:02 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

DSPDrew - Thank you very much. My colonies are pheidole megacephala. Do you think this will work for me? If not is there anything I can do to make it work?

If I do use this product, I just want to make sure I understand the transfer from the test tube. You are saying to just open the tube and dump everything into the dirt box?

Thanks for the help,

I think that species will be fine. Yes, I would just dump them into the nest, brood and all.

#269 Offline Seadogrun - Posted October 9 2017 - 4:43 PM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

One more question(for now) DSP D:

Do the ants still need to drink water with this nest?  Or is the hydration system sufficient to keep them hydrated?

Thanks,

Edited by Seadogrun, October 9 2017 - 4:44 PM.

#270 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 9 2017 - 5:59 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Do the ants still need to drink water with this nest?  Or is the hydration system sufficient to keep them hydrated?

Thanks,

The nest should be wet enough toward the bottom for them to drink.

#271 Offline Seadogrun - Posted October 10 2017 - 3:54 AM

Seadogrun

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts

Thanks,

The nest should be wet enough toward the bottom for them to drink.

Thank you!

#272 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 29 2017 - 3:20 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
Making lots of dirt boxes on my kitchen production floor.

med_gallery_2_295_146203.jpg
  • nurbs, sgheaton, T.C. and 4 others like this

#273 Offline Leo - Posted October 29 2017 - 3:28 AM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

what's the hammer for?

#274 Offline nurbs - Posted October 29 2017 - 3:40 AM

nurbs

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,630 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

what's the hammer for?

When he ant rages.

Instagram:
nurbsants

YouTube

California Ants for Sale

Unidentified Myrmecocystus

https://www.formicul...ls-near-desert/

Undescribed "Modoc"

https://www.formicul...mp-ca-5-4-2017/

Camponotus or Colobopsis yogi:

https://www.formicul...a-ca-1-28-2018/

Camponotus us-ca02
https://www.formicul...onotus-us-ca02/

Unidentified Formica

https://www.formicul...l-ca-6-27-2020/

Pencil Case and Test Tube Formicariums
https://www.formicul...m-and-outworld/

Bloodworm Soup
https://www.formicul...bloodworm-soup/

#275 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 29 2017 - 3:42 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

what's the hammer for?

When he ant rages.

:lol:

It's for putting the inner container lids on. I use it along with that blue microfiber cloth covered "plunger" I designed.

#276 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 29 2017 - 4:16 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
There is finally a user guide for these now. For anyone who has one of these already, I recommend you download a copy of this guide.

med_gallery_2_295_81301.png

med_gallery_2_295_185464.png

Attached Files

• ryanp347 and John7429 like this

#277 Offline dspdrew - Posted October 29 2017 - 6:36 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA
I started putting a hole at the surface level of these things now to make it easier to move a colony from one to another, or just to connect two. I also made some really simple little connectors and tube fittings.

med_gallery_2_295_85745.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_62189.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_419946.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_105433.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_55187.jpg

The connectors don't snap in or anything like that because they're not meant to hold anything together. They just create a secure pathway between two Dirt Boxes as long as they're kept up against each other.

I'm using some right now to move three different Myrmecocystus colonies out of some of the older small Dirt Boxes and into some new large ones.

med_gallery_2_295_17415.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_577431.jpg

The ridge in the middle keeps the tube centered and stops it from slipping into one box or the other.

med_gallery_2_295_507876.jpg

med_gallery_2_295_490276.jpg

I'm including a connector and tube fitting with each of these now.
  • sgheaton, T.C. and John7429 like this

#278 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 30 2017 - 2:38 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
I want one of those so bad right now....

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#279 Offline sgheaton - Posted October 30 2017 - 5:52 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

what's the hammer for?

Quality Control

Edit:

Your dedication to your work really shows. 

Edited by sgheaton, October 30 2017 - 5:54 AM.

• rdurham02 and Rstheant like this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#280 Offline T.C. - Posted October 30 2017 - 8:30 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I have mixed feelings. Maybe with the guide I won't drown my colony again. However to get the new upgrade I gotta buy a new drewcarium! I see what you are doing here! :lol:

• nurbs likes this
“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formicarium, out world, ant nest, how-to, tutorial, dspdrew

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users