• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

SF Bay Area Anters

• Please log in to reply
842 replies to this topic

#761 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted May 31 2021 - 2:15 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Formica integroides flew today, found a dozen queens with sirjordanncurtis. We saw some fusca-group alates around nest entrances as well. I think Veromessor andrei might have flown too, going to go look for those around sunset.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#762 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted June 1 2021 - 12:19 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Found tons of Tetramorium Immigrans where it was around 100 degrees Fahrenheit. So excited.

#763 Offline NoveltyAntsYT - Posted June 25 2021 - 5:54 PM

NoveltyAntsYT

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Ok so I just found a bunch of formica queens at Point Reyes. Not sure on the exact species though.

• YsTheAnt likes this

#764 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted July 4 2021 - 1:17 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBay Area, California

Yesterday I went to Sycamore Grove Park. Every S. xyloni nest I saw (and there were a lot of S. xyloni nests) had dozens of alates raring to go, with workers desperately holding them back. I didn't find any dealates, but they'll probably fly this week, possibly even today. S. molesta(?) alates were also out by their nest's entrances but after a few males flew they decided against it.

• YsTheAnt likes this

#765 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted July 4 2021 - 1:25 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Yesterday I went to Sycamore Grove Park. Every S. xyloni nest I saw (and there were a lot of S. xyloni nests) had dozens of alates raring to go, with workers desperately holding them back. I didn't find any dealates, but they'll probably fly this week, possibly even today. S. molesta(?) alates were also out by their nest's entrances but after a few males flew they decided against it.

Oh that’s cool! I heard they paved a lot of the park, glad some ants remain. Did you see any other species, Pogonomyrmex or Veromessor perhaps?

#766 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted July 4 2021 - 2:15 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

There were quite a few Veromessor nests, even in short proximity to a giant S. xyloni nest (at least a dozen entrances). That being said I did see a Veromessor worker who wandered a little too close to the S. xyloni get swarmed and eventually killed. Not a single Pogonomyrmex in sight or really any other species for that matter though. It's definitely dominated by S. xyloni, although it's not the only thing you're going to find. 

#767 Offline AlexLebedev - Posted July 25 2021 - 1:11 PM

AlexLebedev

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, California

I've heard myrmecocystus can be found in the santa cruz mountains its a 45 minutes drive from my house can someone give me a spot? it will be amazing if someone did  :)

What i am keeping Brachymyrmex patagonicus 1 worker x5 tetramorium immigrans 10 workers x2 lasius crypticus 5 workers Pheidole californica 6 queens150~ workers 10-30 majors, Formica argentea 10~ W

What I've kept crematogaster sp pheidole californica camponotus vicinus high elev, dumetorum,laevigatus, prenolepis imparis, pogonomyrmex californicus and subnitidus and californicus, veromessor andrei, camponotus sayi, hypoponera opacior ,Liometopum occidentale solnopsis molesta group, solenopsis xyloni.

#768 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted July 29 2021 - 7:44 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I've heard myrmecocystus can be found in the santa cruz mountains its a 45 minutes drive from my house can someone give me a spot? it will be amazing if someone did  :)

Although I can't speak for the spot YsTheAnt mentions (although I too would like to know) I can imagine places like Uvas Canyon County Park or Castle Rock or even some of the smaller parks have a good chance of having M. testaceus. It would be up to you to go through the different parks to find good spots, preferably before they fly. And you'd have a while considering M. testaceus (and P. subdentatus for that matter) only fly during the spring and fall, usually around about the same time (Turns out M. testaceus don't fly during the fall around here, although they do in places more south.).

Edited by JamesJohnson, August 31 2021 - 1:08 PM.

#769 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted August 31 2021 - 1:00 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

As Apheanogaster and Pogonomyrmex season draws nearer, do any of you have tips catching either of them you mind sharing? 

#770 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted September 1 2021 - 9:28 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

As Apheanogaster and Pogonomyrmex season draws nearer, do any of you have tips catching either of them you mind sharing? 

I believe A. occidentalis may have already flown this past weekend as it got quite hot. The Pogonomyrmex will probably wait till October or so till flying.

#771 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted September 3 2021 - 1:27 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

I believe A. occidentalis may have already flown this past weekend as it got quite hot. The Pogonomyrmex will probably wait till October or so till flying.

Oh wow, isn’t that kind of early for A. occidentalis? Also when it comes to Pogonomyrmex, is it safe to assume that they’ll fly in a heatwave?

#772 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted October 5 2021 - 4:06 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Would one expect for P. subdentatus flights this week? I'm surprised at how fast things have cooled down, and most places around seem to be in that high 60 to low 70 range.

• Antkeeper01 and NancyZamora4991 like this

#773 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted October 6 2021 - 10:18 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Now that it's cooled down, the next spike into the 80s will likely trigger the last P. subdentatus flights of the year, if this year is going to be like previous ones.

• Antkeeper01 likes this

#774 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted October 6 2021 - 10:38 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

So for instance the East Bay would see some flights this Sunday when it rises back up to 80 degrees?

#775 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted October 7 2021 - 3:44 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

so I have never seen a wild pogonomyrmex colony anywhere near me do you think I could catch them in my neighborhood

#776 Offline ANTdrew - Posted October 7 2021 - 4:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,410 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

so I have never seen a wild pogonomyrmex colony anywhere near me do you think I could catch them in my neighborhood

Punctuation may be the first step.
  • Antkeeper01 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#777 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted October 10 2021 - 9:32 AM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Probably not.
  • JamesJohnson likes this

#778 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted October 22 2021 - 3:12 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Termites are flying in San Jose all over

#779 Offline NancyZamora4991 - Posted October 23 2021 - 12:14 PM

NancyZamora4991

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts

Still flying.

#780 Offline JamesJohnson - Posted November 1 2021 - 7:16 PM

JamesJohnson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Is there any reason why Pogonomyrmex subnitidus isn't native to the Bay Area? There are multiple records of  P. subnitidus within 50 miles both north and south of the Bay Area.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users