• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dorymorymex vs Linepithema Humile

argentine dorymyrmex

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 25 2018 - 5:40 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem, but I cannot tell dorymyrmex workers apart from Argentine workers. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell then apart? Thanks for any help

Edited by YsTheAnt, January 25 2018 - 6:37 PM.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#2 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 25 2018 - 6:08 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Argentine ant queens have very flat gasters and are skinny.

#3 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted January 25 2018 - 6:37 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Argentine ant queens have very flat gasters and are skinny.

I mean workers, but changed the first post

Edited by YsTheAnt, January 25 2018 - 6:38 PM.

#4 Offline VoidElecent - Posted January 25 2018 - 7:11 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

I don't have too much experience identifying Linethipema, but from what I understand, Dorymyrmex worker gasters are typically stubbier and less elongated than their invasive cousins'. I think some Dorymyrmex species' legs are generally longer and heads may also be wider than Linethipema.

The easy way would be to identify where they're nesting. Dorymyrmex are more likely to live in dirt or sand mounds in open areas and are unlikely to nest in the sides of houses or unconventional ant "nests". 

I visited San Jose in the summer and don't believe I encountered Dorymrmex, but Linethipema were quite common. I think you're more likely to find pyramid ants closer to the desert than San Jose.

#5 Offline Ants_Texas - Posted January 25 2018 - 7:34 PM

Ants_Texas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  • LocationTexas

I don't have too much experience identifying Linethipema, but from what I understand, Dorymyrmex worker gasters are typically stubbier and less elongated than their invasive cousins'. I think some Dorymyrmex species' legs are generally longer and heads may also be wider than Linethipema.

The easy way would be to identify where they're nesting. Dorymyrmex are more likely to live in dirt or sand mounds in open areas and are unlikely to nest in the sides of houses or unconventional ant "nests". 

I visited San Jose in the summer and don't believe I encountered Dorymrmex, but Linethipema were quite common. I think you're more likely to find pyramid ants closer to the desert than San Jose.

I agree with Void here. I used to keep Dorymyrmex bicolor, and I remember they were quite leggy. 

#6 Offline StopSpazzing - Posted February 2 2018 - 4:39 PM

StopSpazzing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • LocationFullerton, CA

Dorymyrmex******* (btw) Funny, I have both Argentines and Dorymyrmex insanus in my house right now, waiting for more workers from the Dorymyrmex, but have 50+ workers from the Argentines (for experimentation). I can compare them once I get more workers, the first worker died on me recently. :( From what I remember they look pretty close.

> Ant Keeping Wiki is back up! Currently being migrated from old wiki. :)Looking to adopt out: Crematogaster sp. (Acrobat Ants) colonies

#7 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 2 2018 - 6:09 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Dorymyrmex have a little cone-like structure on their thorax.

#8 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted February 2 2018 - 8:06 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yeah autocorrect screwed up dorymyrmex to dorymorymex. Thanks for all the help though

#9 Offline AntsMaryland - Posted February 3 2018 - 11:44 AM

AntsMaryland

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 543 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Dorymyrmex******* (btw) Funny, I have both Argentines and Dorymyrmex insanus in my house right now, waiting for more workers from the Dorymyrmex, but have 50+ workers from the Argentines (for experimentation). I can compare them once I get more workers, the first worker died on me recently. :( From what I remember they look pretty close.

Haha, when you said "in my house" my first reaction was, in your house as pests? #kitchenants

-AntsMaryland

• StopSpazzing likes this

Aphaenogaster cf. rudis 

Tetramorium immigrans 

Tapinoma sessile

Formica subsericea

Pheidole sp.

Camponotus nearcticus

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: argentine, dorymyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users