• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

My Dorymyrmex has kids

dorymyrmex

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Offline paul12000 - Posted July 29 2020 - 5:08 PM

paul12000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

My first caught queen has finally had her eggs developed. I see 2 or 3 tiny ones with her now. The carpenter queen is still rearing her clutch of eggs and look like they are coming along nicely. This is my first young'ns. I'm sure soon I'll need to provide the nesting area and all. This is an exciting moment for me. I'll post pics when I get the chance. They are so tiny. Any suggestions for them while I get the next step together will be helpful. Thanks. :)

#2 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 29 2020 - 5:15 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Yup, this is where I provide an outworld (to which I attach the test tube), sugar water feeder, and start killing small hapless feeder bugs to push halfway down the tube and see if they want to partake. Very exciting! Congrats!

• AntsBC likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#3 Offline paul12000 - Posted July 29 2020 - 6:30 PM

paul12000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thanks, can do that. Here are the pics I got tonight. The first is the Dorymyrmex. She appears to have three or 4 little ones helping her with several more about ready to be fully viable. The other is the one I caught July 4th that just kinda wondered into the door with the family like she belongs.

Attached Images

• 20200729_215503.jpg
  • 20200729_215400.jpg
  • 20200729_215409.jpg

• OhNoNotAgain, Froggy and Wegmier like this

#4 Offline OhNoNotAgain - Posted July 29 2020 - 9:10 PM

OhNoNotAgain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Argentine Ant Territory

Wow those are nice brood piles! Congrats!!!

• paul12000 likes this

Formiculture Journals::

Veromessor pergandei, andrei; Novomessor cockerelli

Camponotus fragilis; also separate journal: Camponotus sansabeanus, vicinus, quercicola

Liometopum occidentale;  Prenolepis imparis; Myrmecocystus mexicanus

Pogonomyrmex subnitidus and previously californicus

Tetramorium sp.

Termites: Zootermopsis angusticollis

Isopods: A. gestroi, granulatum, kluugi, maculatum, vulgare; C. murina; P. hoffmannseggi, P. haasi, P. ornatus; V. parvus

Spoods: Phidippus sp.

#5 Offline FSTP - Posted July 29 2020 - 11:09 PM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Dorymyrmex is the best ant. 

#6 Offline TechAnt - Posted July 29 2020 - 11:20 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

Dorymyrmex is the best ant.

Hmph. That topic deserves to become its own thread, and I think the terms that make the best ant the best ant are debatable too.
  • NickAnter likes this
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#7 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 30 2020 - 4:15 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!

• paul12000 likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#8 Offline paul12000 - Posted July 30 2020 - 1:14 PM

paul12000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you guys. I have this storage ottoman on my back porch area that I put them in, and they seem to love it. Just now the fun part of moving them to a livable area and an outer area to feed and forage in.

#9 Offline paul12000 - Posted August 5 2020 - 7:04 AM

paul12000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Ok. Here we are a few days later. I happen to have today off. Work long shifts 5 days a week and home late. I finally had a chance to get something together. Not much, but hope it works. I used a nontoxic air dry clay in my 10 gallon aquarium and sprinkled local dirt into it for now. Just need a suitable top or oil to make sure they can't escape. Here is a pic of my project.

Attached Images

• 15966397880074965463223426566697.jpg

• Antkid12, Froggy and Wegmier like this

#10 Offline BlueLance213 - Posted August 5 2020 - 8:08 AM

BlueLance213

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
Congrats! My first caught queen has only laid eggs so far xD but it has only been a qeek. Your ants look amazing though!
  • paul12000 likes this

#11 Offline paul12000 - Posted August 5 2020 - 8:21 AM

paul12000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Thank you very much.

#12 Offline Devi - Posted August 5 2020 - 9:37 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • LocationDenver, Colorado

Looks great so far!  What type of clay did you use?  What size is the aquarium tank that you are using?  It looks a bit big for a queen and nanitics, but the picture might make it look bigger than it actually is. :)

#13 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 5 2020 - 9:41 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Looks great so far!  What type of clay did you use?  What size is the aquarium tank that you are using?  It looks a bit big for a queen and nanitics, but the picture might make it look bigger than it actually is. :)

He said 10 gallon. 

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#14 Offline Devi - Posted August 5 2020 - 9:43 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

He said 10 gallon. 

Ahh, thanks.

Edited by Devi, August 5 2020 - 9:43 AM.

#15 Offline Antkid12 - Posted August 5 2020 - 9:44 AM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts

Ok. Here we are a few days later. I happen to have today off. Work long shifts 5 days a week and home late. I finally had a chance to get something together. Not much, but hope it works. I used a nontoxic air dry clay in my 10 gallon aquarium and sprinkled local dirt into it for now. Just need a suitable top or oil to make sure they can't escape. Here is a pic of my project.

I would recommend moving them when they have more workers.  :)

#16 Offline Devi - Posted August 5 2020 - 9:47 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

I would recommend moving them when they have more workers.  :)

I second this.  10 gallons is fairly big for the first outworld they will use.  Maybe make a smaller outworld that is just temporary before you move them into the big one?  I am doing something similar, just making a smaller simple outworld until a colony is big enough to move into a bigger one. :)

#17 Offline paul12000 - Posted August 5 2020 - 10:16 AM

paul12000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I see. I used a nontoxic air drying modeling clay. It is a 10 gallon tank. I was wondering about size, too. This is my first colony, that is part of the reason why I am here, to get insight from the experts. However, before getting these responses, decided to let them run wild, and they found a spot in another corner for now. I put a small amount of honey and water type dish in there, as well being in mosquito country, added a few dead mosquitos. They seem content in their corner and figured once they get bigger, discover the rest of it. I really hope I didn't make to big of a mistake here.

#18 Offline Devi - Posted August 5 2020 - 10:22 AM

Devi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 602 posts

As it may be to big, if the ants seem content, it will most likely be fine.  If you can divide the outworld into a smaller part that the ants can be contained to temporarily that might work, they might find a way out of the divider.  Overall, not a huge deal, just keep an eye on them.  :)

• paul12000 likes this

#19 Offline paul12000 - Posted August 5 2020 - 10:31 AM

paul12000

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That is the plan at this point. Keep an eye on them and see what happens. Then I know what to expect when my other queen I have her little ones and not make the same mistakes. I think I will definitely start smaller with them, and have a wild idea about their outworld once they get big enough. Lol.
  • Devi likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dorymyrmex

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users