• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

BugFinder's Pogonomyrmex Californicus

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#61 Offline drtrmiller - Posted January 25 2015 - 11:43 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Indeed, storing prepared Formula products in a ziploc baggie is mentioned in the written and video instructions.  

You can reconstitute dried formula products by adding water and boiling again.  It will dissolve completely and then form back to a gel.

• BugFinder likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#62 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 25 2015 - 7:11 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I bought a box of small crickets today and killed them by putting them in my freezer.  It only took about 10 minutes in the freezer to kill them and I dropped one into my ants.  It took them several hours to discover it, but it looks like 2 of my 4 workers are starting to break it down and carry it home.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

Pogonomyrmex Californicus

My Ant Goals!

#63 Offline Foogoo - Posted January 25 2015 - 9:02 PM

Foogoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

I bought a box of small crickets today and killed them by putting them in my freezer.  It only took about 10 minutes in the freezer to kill them and I dropped one into my ants.  It took them several hours to discover it, but it looks like 2 of my 4 workers are starting to break it down and carry it home.

My Pogonomyrmex haven't touched any insects I've given them. However, I see them in their chamber with brood, so I can only assume they're sneaking bites of Blue that's been in there.

Are you... rearing bed bugs?

Camponotus vicinus, Crematogaster 1, Crematogaster 2, Formica francoeuri, *, *, Myrmecocystus testaceus, Novomessor cockerelli, Pheidole hyatti, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, Solenopsis invicta

#64 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 25 2015 - 9:04 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

My Pogonomyrmex haven't touched any insects I've given them. However, I see them in their chamber with brood, so I can only assume they're sneaking bites of Blue that's been in there.

Are you... rearing bed bugs?

Yes I'm trying to raise a colony of bed bugs, but I've been pretty unsuccessful so far, so I usually end up buying or collecting the ones I need.

“If an ant carries an object a hundred times its weight, you can carry burdens many times your size.”  ― Matshona Dhliwayo

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#65 Offline dean_k - Posted January 26 2015 - 3:47 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • LocationWaterown, Ontario, Canada

I don't know if it's been asked but what temp are they usually in as of late?

And a photo or two of the current situation would be nice.

#66 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 4:07 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

They are located in my kitchen above my refrigerator, the warmest place in my home (homes stays quite cold at night, which is why they are up there).  I don't know what the exact average temp is but I would say the range gets no colder than 50 and no warmer than 80 right now.

These were taken yesterday before I put the cricket in.  It looks like they've gotten all the food off the cricket and I'm getting ready to remove what's left of it.

V9Qshzr.jpg

ZDV7asE.jpg

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#67 Offline dean_k - Posted January 26 2015 - 4:10 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

I believe temperature plays a huge part in colony growth (Including larvae and pupae growth), so I think you may need to consider a heat cable for their sake. F50 ~ F80 is quite board... It's toward F80, it's okay but if it's middle, you need more heat for your ants.

P.S. Nice cute sprout :)

Edited by dean_k, January 26 2015 - 4:11 PM.

• BugFinder likes this

#68 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 26 2015 - 4:27 PM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am going to do this with my Pogonomyrmex. I will give them all some seeds right now.

#69 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 5:56 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

They completely consumed that cricket in less than 24 hours.  They've been busy today.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#70 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 26 2015 - 10:57 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

So it looks like my ants are doing better than I thought they were.   I have lost about 6 workers since I brought them home, and am down to 4 left, but today I saw several larvae I wasn't able to see yesterday, and for the first time ever, I think I saw a clutch of eggs.

Todays count:

1 queen

4 workers

1 pupae

4 larvae 

1 clutch of eggs

There may be more larvae out of view.  I think the eggs and larvae at times are hidden under part of the cotton so I wasn't able to see them...  But I've spotted them now.  Drew told me today it should take about 1.5 months from eggs laid to adult so by the end of March the eggs here today should be adults.

6SrBlBv.jpg

Edited by BugFinder, January 26 2015 - 10:59 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#71 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 27 2015 - 7:11 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

That's a nice little pile of eggs. It's funny because I can clearly see them in the picture you posted much earlier in the evening.

• BugFinder likes this

#72 Offline Gregory2455 - Posted January 27 2015 - 8:31 AM

Gregory2455

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,286 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
I think this colony will make a comeback.

#73 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 27 2015 - 10:15 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

I cannot describe how much I enjoy watching these little ants through my microscope.  I don't think people who do not keep ants, or who are not entomologists would understand it. lol.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#74 Offline Miles - Posted January 27 2015 - 10:21 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Actually, I find that most people find ants interesting, if given an environment where they feel comfortable admitting it.

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#75 Offline dspdrew - Posted January 27 2015 - 10:40 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What kind of microscope do you have? I can spend hours just watching some of my colonies though my microscope. It's a whole different thing watching them when they're magnified like that.

#76 Offline BugFinder - Posted January 27 2015 - 10:42 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It's just a cheap one...  It's a Celestron USB microscope I bought online for work.  It turns out I get much more use out of it taking pictures of my ants than I do using it for work, lol.  It's nothing like that monster scope you have.

Edited by BugFinder, January 27 2015 - 10:42 PM.

• dspdrew likes this

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#77 Offline BugFinder - Posted February 4 2015 - 8:52 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

It finally arrived today!!

Looks like they must have out of paint ;)

LjmQDIx.jpg

lRaiY3t.jpg

I guess I really don't care much about how it looks as long as it works good, and I'll find that out soon enough.  It does look like it'll be harder to see and get photos of the brood than it is now.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#78 Offline dspdrew - Posted February 5 2015 - 12:14 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Did the sand rub off? I tried putting sand on Hydrostone once, and it was nice, but rubbed off really easily.

#79 Offline BugFinder - Posted February 6 2015 - 8:56 PM

BugFinder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA

yeah there are a few spots that are kinda naked lol.   It looks like it'll be much harder to see and photograph the brood in there.  That's the only criticism I have for it.  Other than that it looks great.  I can't wait to see how that water tower works out....

Edited by BugFinder, February 6 2015 - 8:57 PM.

My Journals:

Pogonomyrmex subdentatus

Camponotus Vicinus

Camponotus sansabeanus

Tetramorium (sp)

My Ant Goals!

#80 Offline dean_k - Posted February 6 2015 - 9:33 PM

dean_k

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 845 posts

The water tower, once full, can last over a month easily.

The substrate can rub off fairly easily once it becomes wet enough but I don't really have a problem with it. It doesn't rub off that easily. You have to try picking really hard to get it off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users