• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Aaron's Trachymyrmex septentrionalis Journal (Updated 2/22/22)

trachymyrmex attini attine fungus

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#21 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 20 2019 - 2:18 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

What happened to these?

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#22 Offline Aaron567 - Posted April 20 2019 - 3:33 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

What happened to these?

Their fungus pellets never started to grow and I don't really know why. The only difference in their setup and the infertile one I had a while back that grew her fungus was that the new ones were in a plaster setup while the old one had grout. This year I will certainly make more grout setups to see if I can get the fertile queens to grow their fungus and lay eggs.

• FeedTheAnts and TennesseeAnts like this

#23 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 12 2020 - 10:14 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

POPULAR

June 12, 2020

Since my past attempts at getting these queens to found, I have learned from other people that if you do not collect the queens of Trachymyrmex septentrionalis on the same day that they fly, you risk collecting her without her buccal pellet and she would therefore not be able to start her a fungus garden. Queens excavate their founding chambers for weeks after they've flown, making it pretty likely to find foraging or excavating queens once they already have fungus in their nest underground. 

Yesterday I collected four queens while they were excavating their nests. I am not sure when they flew, but I am nearly certain that it was on a previous day, because the mature colonies in my backyard were particularly inactive. Luckily, I already have a mature (but queenless) colony of this species that I could steal some fungus from to boost my queens with. So, I put all four queens in one setup and gave them a small amount of fungus. I did not want to spoil them too much because I want to have the satisfaction of witnessing the growth of the garden. As of day two, I have noticed that there are 2 queens constantly sitting next to and tending to the fungus, while the other two are isolated, away from the others. I may remove them if they continue this behavior.

VrEtsS9.jpg

1lYMihs.jpg

• AnthonyP163, FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts and 11 others like this

#24 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted June 12 2020 - 2:12 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Just waiting for my local colonies to fly...

#25 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 12 2020 - 3:29 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California
This makes me want Acromyrmex/Trachymyrmex as a colony I keep even more. I hope they do well!
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#26 Offline AntsExodus - Posted June 12 2020 - 6:21 PM

AntsExodus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  • LocationGeorgia, USA

At what time did you catch these queens digging their founding chamber? It doesnt have to be specific

#27 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 12 2020 - 7:23 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Someday I might try to get a permit for these...........

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#28 Offline ponerinecat - Posted June 12 2020 - 8:00 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I like our local cyphomyrmex. just need to catch a flight or find a colony.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#29 Offline TechAnt - Posted June 12 2020 - 9:29 PM

TechAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, California

I like our local cyphomyrmex. just need to catch a flight or find a colony.

Sometimes I forget cyphomyrmex E X I S T S. They are overshadowed by Acromyrmex and Trachymyrmex, which are overshadowed by Atta. At least in my opinion.
My Ants:
(x1) Campontous semitstaceus ~20 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Camponotus vicinus ~10 workers, 1 Queen (all black variety)
(x1) Tetramorium immigrans ~100 workers, 1 Queen
(x1) Myrmercocystus mexicanus -1 Queen
(x2) Mymercocystus mimcus -1 Queen
(x1) Mymercocystus testaceus ~45 workers, 1 Queen

#30 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 14 2020 - 4:11 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 14, 2020

For a few days, it seemed like two queens were not getting along with the other two. They took a small piece of fungus for themselves and brought it to the other side of the container, away from the other pair of queens. Yesterday, however, they joined forces and now it looks like they're all tolerating each other.

I dropped a few tiny dried pieces of rose leaf next to them 2 days ago and they immediately started incorporating it into the fungus. The fungus has grown noticeably, but I do not see any eggs yet.

WEETzfJ.jpg

1qILK9k.jpg

y4LXqkj.jpg

• TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02, Antennal_Scrobe and 2 others like this

#31 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 17 2020 - 12:37 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

June 17, 2020

There has been a lot of fungus growth over the last few days. It's now leaning up against the side of the container. They really enjoy rose petals; it's what I've been giving them every day. I give them a large piece and within about an hour they cut it up and completely process it. 

yN4QjpO.jpg

Bp6PC1X.jpg

• VoidElecent, CheetoLord02 and ANTdrew like this

#32 Offline Aaron567 - Posted June 17 2020 - 12:56 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

Some additional pictures I took just now, as they're processing a new rose petal.

vDE83C3.jpg

Qp69np8.jpg

• Mdrogun and DDD101DDD like this

#33 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 4 2020 - 10:00 AM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

July 4, 2020

I am able to see now that these queens have their first larvae. I never saw any eggs, probably due to the fact that they're very tiny and are hidden in the fungus in a way that makes them practically invisible. I don't know how many larvae there are, but I can see at least 2 medium-sized ones right now. 

Since the previous update, the queens kept building the fungus up vertically, making a tall tower, but yesterday they finally collapsed it into a more normal shape. I gave them rose petals for their fungus until they got bored of taking them, and I have not been able to find anything that they enjoy as much since then. 

In these pictures you can see that the larva is somewhat covered with fungus. I'm not sure if the queens do this or if the fungus automatically grows onto the larvae, but I know it is normal.

TV7fiay.jpg

he0pMYy.jpg

• CheetoLord02, CatsnAnts, DDD101DDD and 3 others like this

#34 Offline ponerinecat - Posted July 4 2020 - 10:24 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Lovely photos of a lovely species displaying a lovely behavior.

• CatsnAnts likes this

#35 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted July 4 2020 - 10:27 AM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
They look like a part of the fungus haha, good luck with these! I wish we had some where I lived.

Spoiler

#36 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 1:40 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

June 12, 2020

Since my past attempts at getting these queens to found, I have learned from other people that if you do not collect the queens of Trachymyrmex septentrionalis on the same day that they fly, you risk collecting her without her buccal pellet and she would therefore not be able to start her a fungus garden. Queens excavate their founding chambers for weeks after they've flown, making it pretty likely to find foraging or excavating queens once they already have fungus in their nest underground. 

Yesterday I collected four queens while they were excavating their nests. I am not sure when they flew, but I am nearly certain that it was on a previous day, because the mature colonies in my backyard were particularly inactive. Luckily, I already have a mature (but queenless) colony of this species that I could steal some fungus from to boost my queens with. So, I put all four queens in one setup and gave them a small amount of fungus. I did not want to spoil them too much because I want to have the satisfaction of witnessing the growth of the garden. As of day two, I have noticed that there are 2 queens constantly sitting next to and tending to the fungus, while the other two are isolated, away from the others. I may remove them if they continue this behavior.

VrEtsS9.jpg

1lYMihs.jpg

So these are polygynous? Didn't know that.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#37 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 4 2020 - 2:20 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

So these are polygynous? Didn't know that.

Once workers arrive only one dominant queen will continue laying.

• AntsDakota likes this

#38 Offline AntsDakota - Posted July 4 2020 - 3:16 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
Well, I suppose that’s better than them all killing each other.

#39 Offline Aaron567 - Posted July 23 2020 - 1:46 PM

Aaron567

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,005 posts
  • LocationPensacola, FL

July 23, 2020

First pupa appeared a while back, and it is already pretty far along, with the eyes already darkening. There are several larvae that I can see, but the brood blends right in with the fungus so it's always hard to tell exactly what they have. The fungus surprisingly hasn't grown all that much since the last update... I've been really struggling to get these queens to accept anything after they started refusing the rose petals. I've gotten them to take some dandelion petals and some oats recently.

92IClzN.jpg

0i56lOp.jpg

• FeedTheAnts, TennesseeAnts, CheetoLord02 and 4 others like this

#40 Offline Antkid12 - Posted July 23 2020 - 1:49 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Nice!

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trachymyrmex, attini, attine, fungus

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users