• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Guys PLEASE READ THIS WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#41 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 17 2019 - 7:48 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

i am aware that this is a nitpick, but we do not know for certain if we are the only species which 'asks why'.

and it could be quite a while until we do know for certain, due to very few other species having developed the ability to name things and form language.

of course, most animals have language. but very few seem to be able to engineer it on the fly like we can.

Edited by P0rcelain, December 17 2019 - 7:49 PM.

#42 Offline zantezaint - Posted December 22 2019 - 5:33 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Because we do care about them. I think I speak for everyone in saying that we don't capture queens ants for amusement, but rather for understanding. Understanding that ants are amazing creatures, with complex social systems, that we could never create ourselves. We take them into captivity to protect them (especially here in the South) from fire and argentine ants, that would surely kill the wonderful native ants that we love. We take them into captivity to give them a better chance of survival. In the wild 1 queen ant in about 100 will make it to maturity, and even then it's even more rare for them to last 5+ years. So I think it's pretty ignorant to say we don't care about ants.

What? Then what? We understand, and then? How are you contributing to the increase in their global population? Are you going to keep them until the queens die of old age or will you release them? If you do release them, when will you release them? Perhaps, will they die from stress? How are they going to mate in captivity? Now, I've done a bit of reading on mating in captivity, and it seems like the odds are low. Also, from what I've read, and from what I've experienced, many queens that may have survived in the wild, died due to captivity in relation to stress or environmental factors including, but not limited to drowning, overheating, physical trauma, etc. Let's cut the crap, we love ants, but "most" of us haven't helped with the problem, and as a matter of a fact, made it worse. Yeah, I remember my share of killing a few queens due to human error; queens that could have survived in the wild, who knows. The odds of queens surviving in the wild is low, but that one tough queen could have flourished and expanded, if it hadn't been for us.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#43 Offline DDD101DDD - Posted December 22 2019 - 5:47 PM

DDD101DDD

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationNew York

Because we do care about them. I think I speak for everyone in saying that we don't capture queens ants for amusement, but rather for understanding. Understanding that ants are amazing creatures, with complex social systems, that we could never create ourselves. We take them into captivity to protect them (especially here in the South) from fire and argentine ants, that would surely kill the wonderful native ants that we love. We take them into captivity to give them a better chance of survival. In the wild 1 queen ant in about 100 will make it to maturity, and even then it's even more rare for them to last 5+ years. So I think it's pretty ignorant to say we don't care about ants.

What? Then what? We understand, and then? How are you contributing to the increase in their global population? Are you going to keep them until the queens die of old age or will you release them? If you do release them, when will you release them? Perhaps, will they die from stress? How are they going to mate in captivity? Now, I've done a bit of reading on mating in captivity, and it seems like the odds are low. Also, from what I've read, and from what I've experienced, many queens that may have survived in the wild, died due to captivity in relation to stress or environmental factors including, but not limited to drowning, overheating, physical trauma, etc. Let's cut the crap, we love ants, but "most" of us haven't helped with the problem, and as a matter of a fact, made it worse. Yeah, I remember my share of killing a few queens due to human error; queens that could have survived in the wild, who knows. The odds of queens surviving in the wild is low, but that one tough queen could have flourished and expanded, if it hadn't been for us.

Well you're assuming that the queens we are catching are endangered or need to be protected in some way. Besides, many people release alates that their colonies produce.

He travels, he seeks the p a r m e s a n.

#44 Offline zantezaint - Posted December 22 2019 - 7:25 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Well you're assuming that the queens we are catching are endangered or need to be protected in some way. Besides, many people release alates that their colonies produce.

That is "if" they reach maturity, and "if" they really do. Too many "ifs." Yeah, I think I am gonna stick to my answer.

Edited by zantezaint, December 22 2019 - 7:26 PM.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

#45 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 22 2019 - 7:49 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
There is a natural redundancy built into how ant colonies send out hundreds of queens. Only the lucky few survive to found colonies of their own. The tiny amount of hobbyists gathering from the surplus of common species’ queens has next to no effect on the long term survival rate of ants as a whole.
That being said, I am adamantly opposed to the practice of collecting whole colonies from the wild, ESPECIALLY if they are rare species that aren’t typically found in nuptial flights.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#46 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 22 2019 - 7:57 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

You seem to be under the impression that ants need protected. This is not so. Over 15% of the world's biomass is made up of ants. The absolutely TINY fraction that us hobbyists collect of the billions of queens has no impact on global populations.

#47 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 22 2019 - 9:07 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

We don't protect them unless they need protection. Same logic with any other pet. We never needed to tame wolves. But we did. Such a small percentage of queen survive. Again, insects should not be judged as individuals unless the condition is dire. There are so many of them that it doesn't matter if 80 percent of queens die, because that already happens every nuptial flight. In terms of ants, there is no problem. They don't need protection. We have made no problem, we have not contributed to the problem, we have not helped with the problem, because there is no problem. This thread was made to discuss bees. Bees are not ants. If you were targeting irresponsible bee-keepers, fine. But we keep ants, one of the most numerous insects, and even if we fail in the attempt, it does not matter. It is inconsequential. These are different things, and they have different problems, if any at all.

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and antwall like this

#48 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 23 2019 - 8:18 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

We don't protect them unless they need protection. Same logic with any other pet. We never needed to tame wolves. But we did. Such a small percentage of queen survive. Again, insects should not be judged as individuals unless the condition is dire. There are so many of them that it doesn't matter if 80 percent of queens die, because that already happens every nuptial flight. In terms of ants, there is no problem. They don't need protection. We have made no problem, we have not contributed to the problem, we have not helped with the problem, because there is no problem. This thread was made to discuss bees. Bees are not ants. If you were targeting irresponsible bee-keepers, fine. But we keep ants, one of the most numerous insects, and even if we fail in the attempt, it does not matter. It is inconsequential. These are different things, and they have different problems, if any at all.
Couldn't have said it better.

#49 Offline zantezaint - Posted December 31 2019 - 1:23 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

No. Read the thread, and my posts. It is just hypocritical to see so many folks in this forum act like they give a crap about these insects, when all we do is capture them for our "hobby," or "amusement." The reality is, we're selfish, but to sugarcoat that with some bs is quite frankly, hilarious. You can "try" to justify it by saying we aren't affecting the global population of insects on a "big scale," like as if the extent or degree to which we affect the population ever mattered in justifying our act. Sorry, but it really isn't a matter of size or scale, it's whether we do it or not, and we do affect the issue at hand whether it is minuscule or on a large scale. This really applies to anything in life. For ex. You got a 100 polar bears left in the world. You kill 1, that is only 1 percent of what's left. Yeah, the percentage is small. Guess what, it doesn't matter because that is 1 less polar bear that can reproduce. RIP.

#50 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 31 2019 - 1:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

R.I.P polar bear

2019-2020

Why are you trying to cause a problem in the first place?

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, December 31 2019 - 1:45 PM.

#51 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 31 2019 - 5:00 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

No. Read the thread, and my posts. It is just hypocritical to see so many folks in this forum act like they give a crap about these insects, when all we do is capture them for our "hobby," or "amusement." The reality is, we're selfish, but to sugarcoat that with some bs is quite frankly, hilarious. You can "try" to justify it by saying we aren't affecting the global population of insects on a "big scale," like as if the extent or degree to which we affect the population ever mattered in justifying our act. Sorry, but it really isn't a matter of size or scale, it's whether we do it or not, and we do affect the issue at hand whether it is minuscule or on a large scale. This really applies to anything in life. For ex. You got a 100 polar bears left in the world. You kill 1, that is only 1 percent of what's left. Yeah, the percentage is small. Guess what, it doesn't matter because that is 1 less polar bear that can reproduce. RIP.

Except unlike polar bears, they number in the millions. And unlike polar bears, thousand more merge every year. And unlike polar bears, they're environment is not in danger(usually). And unlike polar bears, they don't require huge levels of care putting the parent at risk. While I'm not justifying the act of capturing the ant, we are taking the animal from the population, and even if it doesn't affect the species, it is still for our own benefit. But your logic is confusing. I understand if you don't like us sugarcoating the issue, but we do care for the insects. There's no need to burst out in criticism. I mean, its the same with any other pet keeping community. In any other pet, they take the animal from the wild or breed it in captivity, in your words, "for their own amusement." So by your logic, all those people don't care for the animals. And this thread is about global declining populations of bees. There is no real hypocrisy, pretty much all of us (I think) actually care about the issue. We all hate mosquitoes, and kill them by the thousands, but if all people were educated about the risks, we would be concerned if the went extinct, despite still hating the animals.

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#52 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 31 2019 - 6:03 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
This thread was two years old. Why did anyone bring it back up??
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#53 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 31 2019 - 7:04 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

ant_dude2908

#54 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 31 2019 - 8:39 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

because arguments

#55 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted January 1 2020 - 9:52 AM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Hehehehe............oops........ Thought it was a relevant issue to talk about.

Edited by Ant_Dude2908, January 1 2020 - 9:54 AM.

#56 Offline zantezaint - Posted January 1 2020 - 11:09 AM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Polar bear is a random example f sakes. SMH. Replace polar bear with "X" animal. Happy? Now you get the point? ANALLLLLLLLLL. Either way, my point being, we are part of the problem no matter how small the scale is, so this thread is a pure joke.

Edited by zantezaint, January 1 2020 - 11:13 AM.

#57 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 1 2020 - 11:33 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Polar bear is a random example f sakes. SMH. Replace polar bear with "X" animal. Happy? Now you get the point? ANALLLLLLLLLL. Either way, my point being, we are part of the problem no matter how small the scale is, so this thread is a pure joke.

Yes. We are part of the problem. I get that, and no one is contradicting you. I strongly agree that we are destroying the planet. This thread was created to try and notify some less knowledgable people on the fact that honeybee populations are going down, likely because of human intervention. We're not argueing over that, we're arguing over the fact that you get mad and call us all a bunch of hypocrites and say that no one cares for the animals. that's a pretty cynical view, and its not at all true. No one here is arguing that humans are a bunch of higher beings above the fray, we all agree that we have caused at leats some damage. I just don't like how you start ranting about how the hobby is a bunch of animal hating hypocrites enslaving animals without a care about our effect. The number one rule among antkeepers is honestly to limit your colony number. While we do take them from the wild, we keep in mind how many queens we can take, or how many other animals we can legally take before it harms the environment.

#58 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 1 2020 - 2:20 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

It's kind of interesting to think that humans are the only organisms we know of to actively disable ecosystems. I mean, you can point out invasive species, but they're only invasive because we put them in places we shouldn't have. Of course, i'm not one of those nuts who wants human extinction; actually, if we're able to do this much bad to the biosphere, we should be able to do an equivalent amount of good to it too.

• OhNoNotAgain likes this

#59 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 1 2020 - 4:28 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If, in this guy's opinion, ant keeping unethical and to the slightest degree harmful to the environment, why is he even on the 'Ants and Myrmecology Forum'?

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#60 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 1 2020 - 7:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

This thread made no sense in 2017, and it makes even less sense now. Can someone please shut this down?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users