• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Guys PLEASE READ THIS WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#21 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 13 2019 - 2:45 AM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

people on the front lines doing good work: http://sos-bees.org/solutions/

#22 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 13 2019 - 12:44 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

i would also like to point out that frankly, the honeybee situation is due to our own hubris. we put all our eggs in one basket by introducing this invasive pest to the entire world. it out competed everything, and now we are in danger because his one species is in trouble.
if it were not for us, the problem would not even exist in the first place. that said, very smart people are working hard to prevent a huge environmental collapse because of this issue.
if it really concerns you, you can try farming native bees and such. idk about other countries, but in australia it is a legit business and you can get native bee queens sent to you to farm and stuff.

Honeybees, the stealers of fame. They are invasive. Or at least in the US they are. Bumblebee populations are reaching critical points, as are native bees, feel like we should worry about those more.

I agree completely.

#23 Offline Serafine - Posted December 13 2019 - 12:55 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Insects will soon get more attention because the lack of them is making cute birds go extinct.

Yes, the die-off has actually reached tier 2 in the food chain. In the US there are vast areas (we're talking hundreds of miles here) where populations of insect-eating birds have collapsed to near-extinction. Certain areas in Europe don't look much better.

And when the birds die out the cute mammals will be next.

Insect populations can regenerate very quickly, their predators can't. As long as the insects are the only ones being hit this can be fixed very quickly. When bird and mammal populations crash it'll take decades or even centuries to fix - if it's fixable at all.

Edited by Serafine, December 13 2019 - 12:56 PM.

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

#24 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 13 2019 - 2:29 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

huh, i didn't know the situation was so dire over there.

i live in nsw australia, were pretty strongly environmentalist over here.

we have a tendancy to get hysterical when one animal starts to take a bullet rather than when the entire ecosystem starts to collapse.

Edited by P0rcelain, December 13 2019 - 2:30 PM.

#25 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 13 2019 - 2:33 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

this said were getting smacked pretty hard by climate change too. look no further than the enormous fires and the fact that i am currently breathing smoke because i wanted fresh air this morning.

#26 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 13 2019 - 4:30 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Native insects need native plants to thrive. Anyone with a yard can help tremendously simply by choosing to grow as diverse an assortment of native plants as they can. Volunteering to remove invasive plants is another great thing you could do. There are probably groups in your area that do invasive plant removal if you look for them. Choosing organic, plant-based diets would have a big impact, too, but that is probably asking a lot of most people. I, for one, can’t afford much organic foods.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#27 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 13 2019 - 6:37 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts

Native insects need native plants to thrive. Anyone with a yard can help tremendously simply by choosing to grow as diverse an assortment of native plants as they can. Volunteering to remove invasive plants is another great thing you could do. There are probably groups in your area that do invasive plant removal if you look for them. Choosing organic, plant-based diets would have a big impact, too, but that is probably asking a lot of most people. I, for one, can’t afford much organic foods.

I'm anything but an environmentalist, but I agree with planting native plants and removing invasive ones.
  • ANTdrew likes this

#28 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 14 2019 - 4:19 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Where have US bird populations crashed to near extinction? This is news to me. I live outside one of the biggest mega-cities in the country, yet I’ve seen 72 species of birds (bats, too) in my yard. Not to over-simplify, but, again, native plants are the answer.
  • TennesseeAnts likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#29 Offline camponotuskeeper - Posted December 14 2019 - 5:15 AM

camponotuskeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 168 posts
  • LocationWashington
I have seen a study talking about genetically modifying ants so they all have wings to take the place of honey bees.

#30 Offline ANTdrew - Posted December 14 2019 - 7:14 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Winged ants wouldn't really be any better at pollinating than wasps are. They don't actively gather pollen and they lack the hairy bodies of bees and leg scopa that really aid pollination. This is interesting sci-fi, but I don't think it would work. A better plan would be to bolster native bee populations to off-set losses of honeybees.

#31 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 14 2019 - 2:44 PM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

why would you modify ants when wasps already are closer to doing the job? is it because people hate wasps? they are usually quite benevolent

#32 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 14 2019 - 4:30 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I have seen a study talking about genetically modifying ants so they all have wings to take the place of honey bees.

:ehh: I mean, why do all that work when we have native bees and wasps. Makes no sense. Ants aren't even good pollinators. You would have to use a large ant, and make them hairy. And by then you have a social bee.

• TennesseeAnts and camponotuskeeper like this

#33 Offline zantezaint - Posted December 14 2019 - 8:52 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Why are we even talking about how we care about insects when half this forum is about taking queen ants for captivity and amusement?

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#34 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 14 2019 - 8:59 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
Because we do care about them. I think I speak for everyone in saying that we don't capture queens ants for amusement, but rather for understanding. Understanding that ants are amazing creatures, with complex social systems, that we could never create ourselves. We take them into captivity to protect them (especially here in the South) from fire and argentine ants, that would surely kill the wonderful native ants that we love. We take them into captivity to give them a better chance of survival. In the wild 1 queen ant in about 100 will make it to maturity, and even then it's even more rare for them to last 5+ years. So I think it's pretty ignorant to say we don't care about ants.
  • ponerinecat, NickAnter, PacificNorthWestern and 2 others like this

#35 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 15 2019 - 3:26 AM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

i think the real question is why are you on a forum specifically founded for discussing the 'captivity of ants' if you consider ant keeping to be so iniquitous

#36 Offline P0rcelain - Posted December 15 2019 - 3:32 AM

P0rcelain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 151 posts
  • LocationNSW, Australia

i think the real real question is why you have 6 ant queens if you implicitly do not consider capturing them to be anything but dubious

#37 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 16 2019 - 5:18 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Why are we even talking about how we care about insects when half this forum is about taking queen ants for captivity and amusement?

This is a biased question. One of the questions lots of people who study insects get follow the same theme. Why do you say you like insects when you murder them and pin them? Why do you say you like them while you gas the entire tree top to find them? Why do you say you like them when you shove them in vials of kill fluids? This is a very poor understanding of all arthropod lovers. We care about the species. We rarely are attached to the individual, thought this happens too. Insects should not be thought of as individuals, but a collective. The loss of several hundred individuals is nothing, a daily occurrence. But the extinction of entire species is a huge blow. I really don't like seeing people who talk like this. I've been pestered by questions like this coming from my family my entire life. We do not capture queen ants for amusement. It is a hobby, a way to enjoy seeing the progress of the colony. We wish to watch the colony grow and hopefully flourish under our care. Why do you say you care about dogs when you force them to inbreed to the point where they can't breathe properly? We are among the more gentle members of the entire animal keeping community, though there is nothing wrong with any of the community. The way you worded it, it sounds like we starve the ants and laugh at their misfortunes. Stop acting like we are all hypocrites. If you acknowledge this fact, and yet still keep ants, you are calling yourself a person who captures wild animals for nothing but their own amusement. Please don't bring this up again, it is one of the most hated question stereotypes among the arthropod community.

• TennesseeAnts and DDD101DDD like this

#38 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 16 2019 - 5:26 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

Nature is already efficient at selecting the fittest out of each species to survive. We shouldn't be too quick to interfere with the process without knowing what we're doing.

Edited by TheMicroPlanet, December 16 2019 - 5:28 PM.

#39 Offline ponerinecat - Posted December 16 2019 - 5:32 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Nature is already efficient at selecting the fittest out of each species to survive. We shouldn't be too quick to interfere with the process without knowing what we're doing.

:facepalm: That is true. The main problem is this. WE STARTED THE DIE OFFS. Should we just sit back and let our problems destroy nature? I think not.

• camponotuskeeper and DDD101DDD like this

#40 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted December 16 2019 - 5:37 PM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

:facepalm: That is true. The main problem is this. WE STARTED THE DIE OFFS. Should we just sit back and let our problems destroy nature? I think not.

Very true. We had the means to ruin a few things, but we also have the means to fix it and maybe even make it better  (y)

That's something funny about us humans; we're the only organisms to do this much with the world around us, good or bad. We've been able to populate areas out of our original niche, we've engineered entire ecosystems (usually bad, unfortunately), and we're the only species on this planet to ask why that is.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users