• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Guys PLEASE READ THIS WE HAVE TO DO SOMETHING

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#61 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 2 2020 - 12:31 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

It's kind of interesting to think that humans are the only organisms we know of to actively disable ecosystems. I mean, you can point out invasive species, but they're only invasive because we put them in places we shouldn't have. Of course, i'm not one of those nuts who wants human extinction; actually, if we're able to do this much bad to the biosphere, we should be able to do an equivalent amount of good to it too.

Invasive species can spread on their own, but usually pretty slowly. That is an interesting phenomena, and some people think that all intelligent civilizations wipe themselves out eventually through mistakes like that (hence the lack of alien contact.) lets hope that's not the case.

#62 Offline zantezaint - Posted January 2 2020 - 12:47 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, North San Diego County

Polar bear is a random example f sakes. SMH. Replace polar bear with "X" animal. Happy? Now you get the point? ANALLLLLLLLLL. Either way, my point being, we are part of the problem no matter how small the scale is, so this thread is a pure joke.

Yes. We are part of the problem. I get that, and no one is contradicting you. I strongly agree that we are destroying the planet. This thread was created to try and notify some less knowledgable people on the fact that honeybee populations are going down, likely because of human intervention. We're not argueing over that, we're arguing over the fact that you get mad and call us all a bunch of hypocrites and say that no one cares for the animals. that's a pretty cynical view, and its not at all true. No one here is arguing that humans are a bunch of higher beings above the fray, we all agree that we have caused at leats some damage. I just don't like how you start ranting about how the hobby is a bunch of animal hating hypocrites enslaving animals without a care about our effect. The number one rule among antkeepers is honestly to limit your colony number. While we do take them from the wild, we keep in mind how many queens we can take, or how many other animals we can legally take before it harms the environment.

I never said animal hating. Selfish would be a better word though. I am embracing it though. Funny though, many here try to find some sort of justification or excuse to their hobby. Sorry, but "keeping in mind how many queens we can take," is the ideal example of bs. It's like trying to be "considerate," but not really. Embrace what you don't want to be. Embrace it.

Edited by zantezaint, January 2 2020 - 12:48 PM.

https://www.formicul...ale-california/

4 x Solenopsis xyloni (Fire ant) colonies.

2 x Veromessor andrei (Seed-harvester ant) colonies.

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

16 x Linepithema humile (Argentine ant) colonies.

1 x Unknown Formicidae colony.

1 x Tapinoma sessile (Odorous house ant) colony.

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

1 x Solenopsis molesta (Thief ant) colony.

#63 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 2 2020 - 2:50 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

If all us ant keepers are so selfish as you say, why have you posted almost two dozen times conversing with these selfish, inconsiderate people? This forum is for ant keeping, mainly. Everything else is pretty much on the side.

• TennesseeAnts and NickAnter like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#64 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 2 2020 - 4:19 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

If all us ant keepers are so selfish as you say, why have you posted almost two dozen times conversing with these selfish, inconsiderate people? This forum is for ant keeping, mainly. Everything else is pretty much on the side.

He doesn't care. There's really no point in your retort.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

#65 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 2 2020 - 4:30 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

Invasive species are inevitable. Most people don't care, and don't think to look in their luggage, or cargo, for invasive species.  The key is trying to stop them in the beginning.  Once it is a huge problem, there is little to no hope of stopping it(Take RIFA, or Argentine ants).  But, if it can be targeted early, as asian hornets are in the UK, it will be harder for the species to gain a foothold.  And, of course, there will be colder areas which will naturally have less problamatic invasives(With the exceptions of Tetramorium immigrans and Myrmica rubra), as it is simply harder for more insanely dominant species to be introduced there. 

And please, if you really think that antkeeping is wrong, then how could you enjoy posting on this antkeeping forum.   Just something to keep in mind. 

Destroying the planet.  Hmmmm.  The vast majority of habitable land on Earth is not destroyed or close to it. Urban areas, however, are most certainly destroyed in my view.  I do not see the appeal in them, hence why I will never live in one. However, this creation of urban environments in otherwise nice areas, is inevitable, there are just so many of us.  It is a fact of life.  Most people see no reason to change, or think that it is just too hard.

• AntsDakota and camponotuskeeper like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#66 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 2 2020 - 4:35 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Polar bear is a random example f sakes. SMH. Replace polar bear with "X" animal. Happy? Now you get the point? ANALLLLLLLLLL. Either way, my point being, we are part of the problem no matter how small the scale is, so this thread is a pure joke.

Yes. We are part of the problem. I get that, and no one is contradicting you. I strongly agree that we are destroying the planet. This thread was created to try and notify some less knowledgable people on the fact that honeybee populations are going down, likely because of human intervention. We're not argueing over that, we're arguing over the fact that you get mad and call us all a bunch of hypocrites and say that no one cares for the animals. that's a pretty cynical view, and its not at all true. No one here is arguing that humans are a bunch of higher beings above the fray, we all agree that we have caused at leats some damage. I just don't like how you start ranting about how the hobby is a bunch of animal hating hypocrites enslaving animals without a care about our effect. The number one rule among antkeepers is honestly to limit your colony number. While we do take them from the wild, we keep in mind how many queens we can take, or how many other animals we can legally take before it harms the environment.

I never said animal hating. Selfish would be a better word though. I am embracing it though. Funny though, many here try to find some sort of justification or excuse to their hobby. Sorry, but "keeping in mind how many queens we can take," is the ideal example of bs. It's like trying to be "considerate," but not really. Embrace what you don't want to be. Embrace it.

I don't understand you at all, but sure. I'll admit I participate in this hobby this for myself, just like most people with pets. But that's not the point. The point is not that some people try to justify the hobby which has no justification and no need of justification(Its just a hobby. Does fishing require justification?) The point of this argument is that you barge in calling us hypocrites and refusing to believe that we actually care about the conditions of these animals which are dying out. "Why are we even talking about how we care about insects?" because we do care. Your evidence for your cynical claim that we just sit back and pretend to feel sorry is that we take queens from the wild and attempt to raise them. That proves absolutely nothing besides the fact that we like the ants for one reason or another. While we have no strong emotional connection to the ants, we still care for them, and try to make them happy, or at least content. Sure, bad stuff happens, but we never turn a blank face to that. I'm not a very emotional person, but I hate watching the queens I tried to raise die slowly in front of me because of mold or something else. Yes, I've already accepted that we are selfish, we do this hobby for our own purposes, but your claim used to be that we don't care for the insect populations. Read your own post. Now, for whatever reason, you're ranting about us giving false noble justifications for keeping ants, "to understand them" or whatever. Sure, some people give those reasons, and for some people, that may very well be the reason. I don't think scientists go spend days in thee jungle suffering constant risk of danger and thousands of dollars to bring back ants "just for entertainment." In their case, it is for understanding. Maybe not our case. But then, I already stated that. Its true for a lot of us. But, I'm repeating myself here, that's not what this is about. This is about you saying that we don't care about the insect populations, calling us hypocrites, getting mad at us, and just making false assumptions. You can make assumptions, but don't try to keep pushing on them even if its been shown to be wrong. It makes us feel like you're just here to insult us, which is basically what you're doing at this point.

• NickAnter and AntsDakota like this

#67 Offline NickAnter - Posted January 2 2020 - 4:45 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I don't understand you at all, but sure. I'll admit I participate in this hobby this for myself, just like most people with pets. But that's not the point. The point is not that some people try to justify the hobby which has no justification and no need of justification(Its just a hobby. Does fishing require justification?) The point of this argument is that you barge in calling us hypocrites and refusing to believe that we actually care about the conditions of these animals which are dying out. "Why are we even talking about how we care about insects?" because we do care. Your evidence for your cynical claim that we just sit back and pretend to feel sorry is that we take queens from the wild and attempt to raise them. That proves absolutely nothing besides the fact that we like the ants for one reason or another. While we have no strong emotional connection to the ants, we still care for them, and try to make them happy, or at least content. Sure, bad stuff happens, but we never turn a blank face to that. I'm not a very emotional person, but I hate watching the queens I tried to raise die slowly in front of me because of mold or something else. Yes, I've already accepted that we are selfish, we do this hobby for our own purposes, but your claim used to be that we don't care for the insect populations. Read your own post. Now, for whatever reason, you're ranting about us giving false noble justifications for keeping ants, "to understand them" or whatever. Sure, some people give those reasons, and for some people, that may very well be the reason. I don't think scientists go spend days in thee jungle suffering constant risk of danger and thousands of dollars to bring back ants "just for entertainment." In their case, it is for understanding. Maybe not our case. But then, I already stated that. Its true for a lot of us. But, I'm repeating myself here, that's not what this is about. This is about you saying that we don't care about the insect populations, calling us hypocrites, getting mad at us, and just making false assumptions. You can make assumptions, but don't try to keep pushing on them even if its been shown to be wrong. It makes us feel like you're just here to insult us, which is basically what you're doing at this point.

Exactly.  All the more reason that he has no idea why he is on the forum, except to contradict the idea of it's existence.

• TennesseeAnts and AntsDakota like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#68 Offline zantezaint - Posted January 2 2020 - 11:02 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

I don't mind conversing with "these" people. You seem to make it look like I shouldn't converse with "these" people. Once again, it is about sugarcoating. We aren't exactly saints from an ant's perspective you know?

19 x Pogonomyrmex subnitidus (Seed-harvester ant) colonies + 3 x Pogonomyrmex (ID uncertain) colonies

1 x Camponotus fragilis (Carpenter/wood ant) colony + 1 x Camponotus sansabeanus (Carpenter/wood ant) colony.

#69 Offline zantezaint - Posted January 2 2020 - 11:15 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

FYI, I didn't call everyone in this forum a hypocrite. I think that is too strong of a word. Delusional without the mental disorder part sounds better. Haha. But, I gotta say, if you claim you "care" for ants, yet capture one for a hobby's sake, and assuming it isn't a conservation effort to capture and release, as offensive as it might sound, you just might fall under the delusional category. It is what it is. You can't deny it. I can't deny it. I know I am no saint. If I was to say "We got to do something to save these species," I'd probably think back at what I said and laugh at myself. Either way, if you're offended, I apologize, but I am just trying to instill the truth to those might disagree with my notion.

#70 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 3 2020 - 7:11 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

If we want to protect any sort of animal, we need to understand them and study them, and the simplest way to study an animal inexpensively is by creating a model environment and puting the animal in the model. Of course, you can study the animal in its natural environment, but in the case of ants, most of what they do is hidden someplace. Personally, my reason for wanting to keep ants is to see if they can give us any tips to fix up our own societies. I'm seeking more than entertainment; i'm seeking information.

#71 Offline TheMicroPlanet - Posted January 3 2020 - 10:11 AM

TheMicroPlanet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationNew York, United States

It's kind of interesting to think that humans are the only organisms we know of to actively disable ecosystems. I mean, you can point out invasive species, but they're only invasive because we put them in places we shouldn't have. Of course, i'm not one of those nuts who wants human extinction; actually, if we're able to do this much bad to the biosphere, we should be able to do an equivalent amount of good to it too.

Invasive species can spread on their own, but usually pretty slowly. That is an interesting phenomena, and some people think that all intelligent civilizations wipe themselves out eventually through mistakes like that (hence the lack of alien contact.) lets hope that's not the case.

Well, if invasive species spread on their own without intelligent intervention, are they really that invasive (the species which spread on their own, I mean. Not species like RIFA)? I mean, the laws of nature would make sure each species gets to their own niche, and if they get out of it, they suffer. And if one species is pushed out of its niche by natural processes, than that species was obviously unfit and it's extermination was inevitable, deterministic, and natural. Of course, I know that this isn't the case with most (if not all) invasive species today. Our intervention with them is not natural. But like I said before, this unnaturalness can go both ways; if we can ruin nature by unnatural means, we can patch it back up with unnatural means. It's kind of like a car: the car can't fix itself, so it takes an "un-car" being to fix it up, and this being can either do really terrible work on the car or it can fix it up to it's original state (or even a better state!).

#72 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 3 2020 - 10:47 AM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

FYI, I didn't call everyone in this forum a hypocrite. I think that is too strong of a word. Delusional without the mental disorder part sounds better. Haha. But, I gotta say, if you claim you "care" for ants, yet capture one for a hobby's sake, and assuming it isn't a conservation effort to capture and release, as offensive as it might sound, you just might fall under the delusional category. It is what it is. You can't deny it. I can't deny it. I know I am no saint. If I was to say "We got to do something to save these species," I'd probably think back at what I said and laugh at myself. Either way, if you're offended, I apologize, but I am just trying to instill the truth to those might disagree with my notion.

You really don't get my point. First, yes, you are calling everyone on this forum a hypocrite, even if you didn't mean to. The tone and wording of your comment is just asking why we are pretending to care for the animals when we capture ants. Definition of hypocrisy is doing or saying something that contradicts an earlier action, so what you stated. Second, we do care for the ants. If we didn't care we would be like some of the other ant keepers in the hobby, those that put a semi claustral queen in a bare bottom plastic tub and expect them to lay. Again, while we usually have no emotional connection to the queens, we still concern ourselves with the ant's welfare and go out of our way to try and meet their needs. That's still a form of care, no matter how small. While we don't treat them like our cats and dogs, we still treat them with care. No one wants their ants to die, we all hate that experience, so thus we care for their health. We love it when the colony has successes, and we hate it when something bad happens. Third, again, caring for the animals does not mean going out and dedicating your life to them by "capture and release", mostly because, again, they don't need that level of care. Ants are not in danger of loss of habitat or human competition, so there's no need to relocate the ants. If ants for whatever improbable reason stopped being so successful, I would personally slow down the hobby, and I think most other people would too. While yes, there are uncountable irresponsible ant keepers out there, they usually get kicked out by other keeper's criticism or learn from the more experienced peoples examples. I still don't get how you haven't understood that yet. Ants are probably not going to be affected by losing 3% of their reproductives to ant keepers from a population that pretty much doubles every year, or at least repopulates all losses. and yeah, we do gotta try to save these species. Just the species that actually need saving. If ants eventually fall into that category, the worlds pretty much already dead. But if that does happen, ok, we'll stop ant keeping. Actually, we could just raise reproductives of easy species in captive then release mature colonies. Like your capture and release. Fourth, you think hypocrite is too strong of a word but then you say everyone on the forum is short of a mental disorder figuratively.

• TennesseeAnts, DDD101DDD and TheMicroPlanet like this

#73 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 3 2020 - 3:02 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

I don't mind conversing with "these" people. You seem to make it look like I shouldn't converse with "these" people. Once again, it is about sugarcoating. We aren't exactly saints from an ant's perspective you know?

I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything. I'm making the point that you don't support ant keeping (which is what this post was making clear). If you're so concerned about the environmental ethics of the issue, why not focus on groups who are actually doing immense damage to the environment? Why target ant keeping and stir up arguments on a peaceful forum community? Again, I am not attempting to sugarcoat or justify ant keeping. I simply don't want to argue with people who think ant keeping unethical, as that's not what this forum is for.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#74 Offline AntsDakota - Posted January 3 2020 - 3:09 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts

We don't keep ants to attempt to save the species. We keep ants the same reason we have dogs and cats. We enjoy them. And its not like the hobby is cruel. In general, the ants live happy lives and get well fed. This is a controversial issue, but many people release their reproductive alates into the environment, therefore helping the species. And if you're so concerned about ants, bug bee keepers and people who own cats and dogs, and fish, snakes, lizards, and guinea pigs. People are crueler to them than we are to ants. I say this not because you said ant keeping was cruel, but as a reason why you should target other pets other than ants.

Edited by AntsDakota, January 3 2020 - 3:10 PM.

• NickAnter likes this

#75 Offline ponerinecat - Posted January 3 2020 - 8:32 PM

ponerinecat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,650 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I'm not trying to sugarcoat anything. I'm making the point that you don't support ant keeping (which is what this post was making clear). If you're so concerned about the environmental ethics of the issue, why not focus on groups who are actually doing immense damage to the environment? Why target ant keeping and stir up arguments on a peaceful forum community? Again, I am not attempting to sugarcoat or justify ant keeping. I simply don't want to argue with people who think ant keeping unethical, as that's not what this forum is for.

He doesn't not support ant keeping, he just thinks all ant keepers don't care for animal populations because we're ant keepers.

#76 Offline zantezaint - Posted January 12 2020 - 3:12 PM

zantezaint

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Read my earlier posts and you will see I didn't call everyone a hypocrite. Don't put words into my mouth. It might sound like I was referring to everyone in this forum as a hypocrite but I was talking directly to the one who posted this thread. Of course, anyone who thinks they "care" for ants really must be mistaken. That is exactly what every exotic animal owner would say, including the ones that mistreat or neglect them. PETA knows. I don't know why you guys are talking about numbers. Forget the numbers. I am only focusing on people who "care," versus people who "think," they care. Sorry, but some of us may need some reality check. You're saying if an animal is not in danger, you can capture them for your amusement or hobby, and still keep your title of a "caring, ant lover?" I don't think so. Not in my world. Guys like Miles might be actually using ants to educate others, but let's see how many educators or researchers there are in this forum versus those who aren't. Let's see how many entomologists there are in this forum versus those who are in it for the amusement. Understanding means nothing without putting it into practice that would benefit either the species or our society on a large scale. Ants don't need our care. They are fine in the wild. Thus, it brings me to my point again in regards to the thread about "caring." The only word I can think of is "delusion." FYI, I never took a stance against whether I support ant keeping or do not, though I would lean more towards supporting it. I don't support people who post on the forum acting like they care, or thinking they care, or raise concerns about the very species' survival they are threatening. There is nothing wrong with embracing yourself for what you do, did or will do with ants. Nothing wrong. It is rather commendable.

#77 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 12 2020 - 4:08 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Youth see everything in black and white. There are many shades of grey in any issue. I keep ants, and I care deeply about ants and all insects.
My twin is a straight vegan. He backs up his sentiments with action. He has no problem keeping a colony of Tetramorium ants.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#78 Offline PacificNorthWestern - Posted January 12 2020 - 4:12 PM

PacificNorthWestern

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • LocationVancouver, Washington

Youth see everything in black and white. There are many shades of grey in any issue. I keep ants, and I care deeply about ants and all insects.
My twin is a straight vegan. He backs up his sentiments with action. He has no problem keeping a colony of Tetramorium ants.

Don't mistake some youth with all youth...

#79 Offline gcsnelling - Posted January 12 2020 - 4:57 PM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

The words PETA plant come to mind. There is no reasoning with those fanatics.

#80 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 12 2020 - 5:12 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,415 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Happiness for an ant colony means plenty of sugar, protein, moisture, and warmth. It’s easy for a knowledgable ant-keeper to meet these needs. There is nothing uncaring about properly cared for ant colonies.
What I do condemn, though, is the practice of capturing whole, established colonies from the wild. This is uncaring, destructive, and unnecessary. I wish more people would speak out against this practice.
  • PacificNorthWestern likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users