• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Back In Stock on Amazon.com! - - - Dirt Box Starter Formicarium v1.2 (2019)

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#41 Offline T.C. - Posted November 28 2017 - 11:38 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

I pulled the vermiculture out of one of mine. I had a few ants go into the hydration spot and die which I believed to be causing mold issues. Would filling it with cotton be fine?

How were they getting inside it? You should contact Drew via PM or chat with him.

I had took the lid off. They started spilling into the hydration tube as soon as I did that.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#42 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 28 2017 - 10:22 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I pulled the vermiculture out of one of mine. I had a few ants go into the hydration spot and die which I believed to be causing mold issues. Would filling it with cotton be fine?

How were they getting inside it? You should contact Drew via PM or chat with him.

I had took the lid off. They started spilling into the hydration tube as soon as I did that.

You had mold issues inside the inner hydration container? How many ants went in it?

#43 Offline T.C. - Posted November 28 2017 - 10:41 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

You had mold issues inside the inner hydration container? How many ants went in it?

I don't know that there was mold in it, however about five ants did. Maybe a few more. I forgot to oil up the tubes when I was doing the sides. I was taking the lid off for feeding and cleaning. The species was formica so they where real quick.

#44 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 28 2017 - 10:53 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I don't know that there was mold in it, however about five ants did. Maybe a few more. I forgot to oil up the tubes when I was doing the sides. I was taking the lid off for feeding and cleaning. The species was formica so they where real quick.

In a situation like that, I would get something to put in the tubes while the lid is off. I would imagine two nails would work great.

#45 Offline T.C. - Posted November 28 2017 - 10:58 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts
Oh, I learnt from that mistake. A little bit of vegetable/olive oil works great as a temporary barrier. They can't get up the tubes.

Edit: I also learnt there is a water amount limit. :P

Edited by T.C., November 28 2017 - 11:03 PM.

#46 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted November 30 2017 - 6:40 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Are the large versions of the one on Amazon available?

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#47 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted November 30 2017 - 7:28 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee
Would Camponotus Noveaboricensis be able to live in these? :thinking:

#48 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 30 2017 - 9:15 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Not at the time of this writing. They will be available on Amazon in the future.

Since this is a species that typically nests in wood, I would recommend only experienced antkeepers attempt this.

Edited by drtrmiller, November 30 2017 - 9:15 PM.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#49 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2017 - 4:40 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

I would not try to house a wood-nesting species in a dirt nest.

#50 Offline dspdrew - Posted December 1 2017 - 4:45 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Until they are, you can purchase it directly from me if you want. I just haven't really listed my formicariums on the forum yet.

#51 Offline YsTheAnt - Posted December 20 2017 - 12:05 PM

YsTheAnt

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,435 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA

Ok, thanks! I'll let you know when I need them if they aren't on amazon.

Instagram          Journal           Shop

#52 Offline drtrmiller - Posted December 20 2017 - 5:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Anyone who wants one should order soon, because they're almost sold out again and it may be a while before they're restocked.
  • Martialis likes this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#53 Offline sgheaton - Posted December 21 2017 - 6:11 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. I've got all of next week off. Going to use that as a planning week. 

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#54 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted December 21 2017 - 8:15 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

I would not try to house a wood-nesting species in a dirt nest.
I ask because with my first colony of these were kept in a box completely filled with dirt and they dug a nest and lived until all the workers died.(They were queen-less) And I being more cautious now, wanted to know because I was planning on making something like this for my Camponotus Noveaboricensis queen.

#55 Offline zlez93 - Posted February 6 2018 - 2:07 PM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Great nest.

Will probably buy in spring.

How big of a lasius niger (black garden ant) colony would this hold?

Also, how long can we expect the vermiculture to last?

Edited by zlez93, February 6 2018 - 2:08 PM.

#56 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 6 2018 - 2:11 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Great nest.

The capacity is probably 1,000 or more Lasius workers, if connected to a large foraging area.

The vermiculite is an inorganic material, and will not dissolve or degrade in quality over time. It should last through the life of the formicarium.

#57 Offline zlez93 - Posted February 6 2018 - 2:15 PM

zlez93

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Great nest.

The capacity is probably 1,000 or more Lasius workers, if connected to a large foraging area.

The vermiculite is an inorganic material, and will not dissolve or degrade in quality over time. It should last through the life of the formicarium.

Wow, so what's the estimated life of the formicarium and how long is the guarantee for it? Also, when will you be adding byformica items?

#58 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 6 2018 - 2:30 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Wow, so what's the estimated life of the formicarium and how long is the guarantee for it? Also, when will you be adding byformica items?

The product consists of a plastic box designed to contain dirt and regulate moisture. It should last a long time if used as intended and cared for properly.  It is designed to be reusable many times.  A comprehensive instructional sheet is included.  For more detailed product questions, please contact dspdrew, who manufactures these products.

byFormica Product Update: http://www.formicult...t-availability/

Edited by drtrmiller, February 6 2018 - 2:32 PM.

#59 Offline Derpy - Posted February 6 2018 - 3:15 PM

Derpy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  • LocationSan Jose CA
Would this be good for prenelolepis Imparis?

-1x Parasitic Formica Sp. Colony

-1x Pogonomymrex Californicus Colony

-1x Camponotus Hyatti Colony

#60 Offline Kevin - Posted February 6 2018 - 4:50 PM

Kevin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 833 posts
  • LocationSouth Jersey

Would this be good for prenelolepis Imparis?

Any ant you find that can nest in sand, dirt, or other substrate will be able to use the Dirt Box if it can if inside it. I have found some wood-preferring species gladly nest in the sand of this formicarium.

Edited by Kevin, February 6 2018 - 4:56 PM.

Hit "Like This" if it helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users