• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to build a formicarium out of a bead storage container

crystals how to formicarium bead storage

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#41 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 15 2019 - 6:28 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Hi!

I tried my hand at a bead container formicarium for my explosively growing Tetramorium colony, and here is the result:

I found this great container at, you guessed it, The Container Store.

Here's a look at the hydration chambers. I poked these holes with a hot needle.

Later, I filled the bottom with hydrostone and sand and filled the hydration chambers with sphagnum moss. Here is the finished product:

The lid fits pretty snugly, but I ran clear tape around the edge for extra security. As a result, it is fully removable.

Edited by ANTdrew, February 15 2019 - 8:39 AM.

• Rstheant likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#42 Offline Crystals - Posted February 15 2019 - 7:02 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

The only problem I potentially see is that the moss may either mold or come back to life.

I typically used sand or a sponge due to those factors.

Or even if you just covered the holes of the watering chamber with hydrostone and left the main area empty, like a slowly draining pool.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#43 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 15 2019 - 8:04 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Thanks for the feedback! I had read about Drew using this in one of his dirt tanks because it has anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. I could always swap it out for a sponge, though.

Do you think two hydration cells like that will be enough?

"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#44 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 16 2019 - 12:21 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Yes, tetramorium don’t need much moisture.

#45 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 17 2019 - 8:37 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
I just hooked up the nest. I’ll let them move in if and when they want to. Rstheant, remind me to update this later!

#46 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 17 2019 - 10:12 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Ok

#47 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 18 2019 - 8:25 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Well, that didn’t take long. Within two hours of hooking up the bead container, hundreds of workers started streaming in to explore. By nightfall, they were all clustered near the hydration chambers. They don’t seem to have moved any brood yet, but I’m leaving their test tubes, so they’ll have a nice range of nest conditions to choose from. I have high hopes for this colony.

#48 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 18 2019 - 11:43 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Did you leave the hydrostone to cure for at least a week?

#49 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 18 2019 - 12:37 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Yes, I poured it Superbowl Sunday.
Man, of course ants got in to the hydration chambers. Not the end of the world, but that will complicate hydrating the thing. I guess the needle holes were too big. If I really secure the syringe holes and water tiny amounts maybe it will be fine. No way the queen could fit for sure.
What should I do?

#50 Offline CoolColJ - Posted February 19 2019 - 8:47 AM

CoolColJ

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,646 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
kick the ants out and stuff the holes with a wicking matertial

Current ant colonies -
1) Opisthopsis Rufithorax (strobe ant), Melophorus sp2. black and orange, Pheidole species, Pheidole antipodum
Journal = http://www.formicult...ra-iridomyrmex/

Heterotermes cf brevicatena termite pet/feeder journal = http://www.formicult...feeder-journal/

#51 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 19 2019 - 11:58 AM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Get the ants out, and line the holes with FINE wire mesh. Just hot glue or silicone them, but makes sure there are no gaps. Did you make and outworld too? I would like to see pictures.

#52 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2019 - 11:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update: we had a snow day on Wednesday, so I used the extra time to evict the ants from my new nest. I modified it by swapping out the moss for a sponge and plugging up the hydration holes with cotton wads.

I let the silicone cure for 48 hours and hooked the thing up last night. When I woke up, they were streaming in and had built up a massive brood pile next to the heat cable. This colony is kicking some serious @$$ now.

• Crystals likes this

#53 Offline TennesseeAnts - Posted February 23 2019 - 2:09 PM

TennesseeAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,920 posts
  • LocationNashville, Tennessee

Wow... That is a lot of brood...

#54 Offline ANTdrew - Posted February 23 2019 - 6:01 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Thanks! The pile has grown since I took this photo. This queen is remarkably fecund even for a prolific species like Tetramorium immigrans.
I can vouch for how much ants love this nest design!

#55 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 24 2019 - 1:38 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
Oh hell. You’re gonna need to move them after all that brood ecloses. But very good job keeping your colony.

#56 Offline Rstheant - Posted February 25 2019 - 3:44 PM

Rstheant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 883 posts
  • LocationSan Jose, CA
BTW, the cotton could mold over time, and it may be hard to get the ants out. You could, (completely optional) put steel or plastic mesh instead.

#57 Offline ANTdrew - Posted March 4 2019 - 9:54 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Update: The ants clearly love this nest! The queen and all the brood moved in some point last week.  I love how much easier it is to observe them with this design. Can you find the queen in this photo? A lot of ants are ready to eclose.

• Wa.Va likes this

#58 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2019 - 5:32 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Alright! This bead container nest is working out a little too well. The Tetramorium have filled about five of the chambers with big brood piles, so I will definitely need to plan for expansion very soon.

Last night, I noticed about eight workers wandering outside the nest and two more this morning, so they must have found a way out. Yikes! I can't figure out exactly where the breach is, but I need to figure it out quick. Any tips on how to do this?

#59 Offline Crystals - Posted April 8 2019 - 6:17 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Go to the dollar store and get some sculpting clay. Break off tiny pieces, roll them into 'snakes', and press them into all the joints you siliconed - including a tiny ball over the watering holes.

It will be easy to see where they chewed their way out.

Also check your tubing connections.

• ANTdrew likes this

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#60 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 8 2019 - 6:52 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Got it - thanks! That will be a lot cheaper than a divorce lawyer!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crystals, how to, formicarium, bead storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users