• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

How to build a formicarium out of a bead storage container

crystals how to formicarium bead storage

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 15 2017 - 3:45 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Is it advisable to use soil as a substrate?

Edited by antgenius123, January 15 2017 - 3:45 AM.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#22 Offline MrUrrutia - Posted January 15 2017 - 10:55 AM

MrUrrutia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 72 posts
I will use sand, to keep organic material that can generate mold out of tge equation.
  • FeedTheAnts likes this

"Where must we go, we who wander this wasteland, in search of our better selves?"

-The First History Man

#23 Offline antgenius123 - Posted January 15 2017 - 11:02 AM

antgenius123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 218 posts

I will use sand, to keep organic material that can generate mold out of tge equation.

Cool, thanks.

Currently own:
(1x) Camponotus Sp.
(1x) Pheidole aurivillii (?)
(1x) Monomorium Sp. (?)

Other

#24 Offline Ilija Mitrevski - Posted August 2 2017 - 12:23 PM

Ilija Mitrevski

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Macedonia

Are you planing on fixing the pictures? I'm planing on making one of these out a screw sorting box I bought so this is very helpful. Also would plaster work instead of grout? I heard it might mold.

-Thanks

#25 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 2 2017 - 12:35 PM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Having done this, I used dirt and ran into issues. Talked about it in my journal, check it out. Moving forward, I wouldn't put dirt in the containers. 

• lucas3431 likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#26 Offline Crystals - Posted August 2 2017 - 4:48 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts
  • LocationAthabasca, AB (Canada)

Are you planing on fixing the pictures? I'm planing on making one of these out a screw sorting box I bought so this is very helpful. Also would plaster work instead of grout? I heard it might mold.

-Thanks

I just fixed them.

I have found grout to be easier for me. plaster would likely mold.

Lose dirt or sand poses problems as well.

Hydrostone would probably work though.

You could even just avoid substrate altogether, but you would have to keep a close eye on condensation and stuff.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

List of Handy Links   (pinned in the General section)

My Colonies

#27 Offline SofaKingCold - Posted August 27 2017 - 6:08 PM

SofaKingCold

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Thank you for keeping this thread up to date. I've been having trouble finding nesting options for my Crematogaster colony. I think I am going to try this one and the $3 tower with some modifications.

#28 Offline AntPhycho - Posted August 31 2017 - 6:55 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Is grout absolutely necessary, could you use just soil at the bottom?

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#29 Offline Crystals - Posted August 31 2017 - 7:23 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Is grout absolutely necessary, could you use just soil at the bottom?

You could tamp some sand or gritty soil into the grout.

You don't really want anything loose though, or the ants will use it to block the light (and your view).

Grout also has slow hydration/evaporation properties compared to dirt.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astound the rest." -- Samuel Clemens

My Colonies

#30 Offline Naturenut1233 - Posted September 1 2017 - 7:17 AM

Naturenut1233

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationDamariscotta, Maine

Several months ago I bought this exact container from the dollar store with thoughts of doing something like this but haven't quite figured out what I want to do just yet. This tutorial gives me a few ideas. Also useful are those little magnetic tins at the dollar store for founding queens. I have found my camponotus queens do great in those with a little plaster and sand put on the bottom and a small plastic cap put in there with a wet cotton ball in it. I usually put in a pile of dry rotted wood chips as well, they love those. I keep them just slightly moist. Some moist spots, some dry. I know it breaks the traditional rules but it works for me. I poke small holes in the top of the tins for air. It's nice that you can just peak in the to and see the queen and put her back with little disturbance and seems more natural with the bits of sand and plaster, than just a plastic or glass test tube. Dollar store is a handy resource, and of course you can't forget about their picture frames. :D

My current ants species

Lasius Claviger

#31 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 4 2017 - 9:53 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Do you need a watering chamber? I was just going to attach a water test tube, and change it out whenever necessary.

Founding (for myself):                                                                                       My Shop

Solenopsis invicta experiments...                                                                     California

Ants & Formicaria

#32 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 4 2017 - 9:55 AM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Do you need a watering chamber? I was just going to attach a water test tube, and change it out whenever necessary.

Ants & Formicaria

#33 Offline Crystals - Posted September 4 2017 - 10:33 AM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

Depending on the species, it could work very well.

The moisture loving species may move all of their brood into the test tube though.

My Colonies

#34 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 4 2017 - 12:47 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Is solenopsis invicta a moisture loving species? I honestly don't know.

Ants & Formicaria

#35 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 4 2017 - 12:54 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Edit: Sorry for some reason my device is double posting everything I say.

Edited by AntPhycho, September 4 2017 - 12:57 PM.

Ants & Formicaria

#36 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 4 2017 - 3:09 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia
Would this bead storage container work? It is very clear plastic and I think I can even just leave the lid on.

https://ibb.co/nr1VDa

https://ibb.co/iQdhRv

Edited by AntPhycho, September 4 2017 - 3:19 PM.

Ants & Formicaria

#37 Offline Crystals - Posted September 4 2017 - 4:57 PM

Crystals

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,048 posts

I am not sure. It isn't a species I have in Canada (thankfully).

It really depends how humid the container itself gets and how many air leaks there there.

I can't open the link, my virus protection is protesting. But almost any container will work.

My Colonies

#38 Offline AntPhycho - Posted September 4 2017 - 8:57 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am not sure. It isn't a species I have in Canada (thankfully).
It really depends how humid the container itself gets and how many air leaks there there.

I can't open the link, my virus protection is protesting. But almost any container will work.

Huh, I don't know about you but aggressive fast growing solenopsis are one of my favorite species. What more could you want? lol I'm sure solenopsis are an acquired, well, taste.

Ants & Formicaria

#39 Offline Diesel - Posted September 5 2017 - 3:43 PM

Diesel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
  • LocationSouthern Maine

This is the one I made out of bead containers. 3 contain grout the other soil sand combo substrate.

Ant Species kept

Temnothorax Longispinosus.-Journal(discontinued)-(formerly)

Camponotus Noveboracensis (formerly)

Camponotus Nearticus-formerly

Tetramorium sp.-formerly

Camponotus Pennsylvanicus Queen & brood.-formerly

Tapinoma Sessile-Journal (3 queen colony)-formerly

​Tapinoma  Sessile #2 (2 queen colony)-formerly

Aphaenogaster Picea-Journal-active

Crematogaster sp.(Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with 3 workers and brood-formerly

​Crematogaster sp. #2 (Cerasi or Lineolata) Queen with brood-formerly

Formica sp. polygenus-active 300+ workers-active

Formica Subsericea-active 25+ workers-active

Myrmica Rubra 400+ workers 3 queens-active

#40 Offline AntPhycho - Posted June 18 2018 - 5:32 PM

AntPhycho

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I am sure this would work for Veromessor Pergandei. Or would they reject it?

Ants & Formicaria

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: crystals, how to, formicarium, bead storage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users