• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2110 replies to this topic

#1681 Offline Fitzysgto - Posted June 4 2020 - 4:33 PM

Fitzysgto

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

I've seen a few females and winged males. I know they are winged males because they move much faster. Look like they have had red bull.

#1682 Offline Technomyrmex - Posted June 5 2020 - 8:01 PM

Technomyrmex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

C.chromaiodes and C.pennsylvanicus flying in Connecticut this week. Caught a bunch of queens last night after warm day which reached into the 80s.

-

#1683 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 13 2020 - 10:05 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Found another C. pennsylvanicus queen June 11th. She’s already started laying. The C. novaeboracensis queen I found May 26th hasn’t layed a thing and is still pulling at the cotton trying to get out. I suppose you really can’t blame her though. 

A breakthrough with my C. americanus colony. I see a pupa! Here’s Mom with her daughters and daughter to be. 

D922AEF3 AD43 4857 8208 617EA8E7A423

I have trouble keeping a count of the colony’s size. I’ve noticed some smaller adult forms but this species retreats to the recesses of the nest so quickly that it’s hard to keep track. I’d mentioned that I hadn’t seen a trace of the eggs she’d laid about 6 weeks ago. I guess they were well hidden. 

• Nathant2131, ANTdrew, AntsDakota and 1 other like this

#1684 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 20 2020 - 12:50 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Today was a cleaning/feeding day for my colonies. The C. pennsylvanicus remains productive but I was surprised to see C. americanus workers carrying clumps of eggs in their mandibles. Since they’re so skittish I didn’t take shots but the combination of mealworms, Dubia roaches, chicken and nectar seems to have done the trick. 

• ANTdrew likes this

#1685 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 21 2020 - 2:34 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  • Location(Near) Worcester, MA

Are Tetramorium flights coming up in MA? 

#1686 Offline Antkid12 - Posted June 21 2020 - 3:40 PM

Antkid12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,009 posts
  • LocationFairfax, Virginia

Probably, here in Virginia, alates have already flew. I'm expecting a big flight tommorow.

Edited by Antkid12, June 21 2020 - 3:40 PM.

• ANTdrew likes this

Ants I have: Tapinoma sessile(2 queen colony). RED MORPH Camponotus neacticus(now has pupae!), Tetramorium immigrans (x3), Aphaenogaster sp, Temnothorax sp, Brachymyrmex sp.   possibly infertile   :(,  Ponera pennsylvanica, and Pheidole morrisi!  :yahoo: 

Other insects: Polistes sp. Queen

Ants I need: Pheidole sp., Trachymyrmex sp., Crematogaster cerasi , Dorymyrmex sp. Most wanted: Pheidole morrisii

#1687 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 21 2020 - 3:47 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I’d bet that flights for you guys are imminent.
  • Antkid12 likes this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1688 Offline AntsDakota - Posted June 21 2020 - 4:00 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
They’re happening here.
  • ANTdrew and Antkid12 like this

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#1689 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 23 2020 - 5:27 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Yesterday was a cleaning/feeding day for the colonies. My newly captured C. pennsylvanicus queen continues to lay eggs with about a half dozen and my C. novaeboracensis queen has laid 3. I Also have signs of growth from my C. americanus colony!

B1333C8B BFEC 4F3E AB3B 668B9E018B1C

One concerning finding though. I noticed 2 or 3 arthropods smaller than a grain of sand scurrying around the C. americanus outworld. I didn’t see any in the C. pennsylvanicus colony. I try to keep the feeding dishes clean and separate and the only fresh killed feeders I use are from a mealworm culture I’ve had since March and I keep it in the fridge. My other feeders are frozen. I suspect the mealworms were the source of these little creatures. Should I be worried that they’re a threat to my colony?

Edited by ConcordAntman, June 23 2020 - 5:28 AM.

#1690 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2020 - 5:58 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

Probably grain mites from the mealworms. Harmless, but annoying.

• noebl1 and ConcordAntman like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#1691 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 23 2020 - 6:12 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

Probably grain mites from the mealworms. Harmless, but annoying.

I agree, I get those too as they feed on detritus and such the ants leave behind.  On a quick look I don't see anything on your ants, so likely not predatory mites.  Those C. americanus look great!!

• ConcordAntman and ANTdrew like this

#1692 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 23 2020 - 12:30 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks guys!

• noebl1 likes this

#1693 Offline Technomyrmex - Posted June 23 2020 - 1:51 PM

Technomyrmex

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

They flew June 20th in CT,NY,NJ,Maine

I unfortunately didn't wake up early enough and had to work but that night i found 3 queens with a flashlight. Saw hundreds of queens and males dead in spider webs. 

Edited by Technomyrmex, June 23 2020 - 1:52 PM.

#1694 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 23 2020 - 1:57 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Thanks for the help.

It's going to rain tomorrow in MA, will there be flights the day after(Thursday). Also, can I find ants the day of a rainstorm after it has ended, maybe when the sun goes down?

Edited by MinigunL5, June 23 2020 - 1:58 PM.

#1695 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 23 2020 - 3:34 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
For Tetramorium, you really have a chance every morning it’s warm and humid. Got to set your alarm, though!
Evenings after a rainstorm could be promising for night flying species especially if the sun comes out a bit to heat things up.
  • Technomyrmex and MinigunL5 like this

#1696 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 27 2020 - 1:19 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I got C. novaeboracensis eggs!

61DA8F0D E69F 4C83 9AAA F6C27BF03D10

And, C. pennsylvanicus eggs!

E9BF69E8 C1D9 4473 BB8B F42C6C3E54EE

I sure hope these ladies survive!

• ANTdrew likes this

#1697 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 27 2020 - 7:57 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

I got C. novaeboracensis eggs!

And, C. pennsylvanicus eggs!

I sure hope these ladies survive!

Mine has pupae!ECRxiLO.jpg

• Nathant2131, ConcordAntman and Froggy like this

#1698 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 28 2020 - 9:15 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Sweet! When did you catch her? I captured mine May 27th and it took nearly 3 weeks for her to calm down and start laying. I keep them shrouded and check her and my C. pennsylvanicus queen once a week. Looking at the water level in the tubes, I’m about to add an AC portal and tube to the setup like this. It makes feeding and tube changing easier. 

64F1C92D 3C06 49B2 9814 290FE9F35941

• Nathant2131 and ANTdrew like this

#1699 Offline MinigunL5 - Posted June 28 2020 - 1:45 PM

MinigunL5

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 550 posts

Sweet! When did you catch her? I captured mine May 27th and it took nearly 3 weeks for her to calm down and start laying. I keep them shrouded and check her and my C. pennsylvanicus queen once a week. Looking at the water level in the tubes, I’m about to add an AC portal and tube to the setup like this. It makes feeding and tube changing easier. 

I caught her on May 26th. She had already laid eggs when I checked on her 5 days later. How long do you think it will be until her pupae eclose?

#1700 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted June 30 2020 - 1:55 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 757 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

According to this:

https://www.formicul...censis/?p=36437

I’d say about 3 and a half weeks. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users