• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2123 replies to this topic

#1601 Offline FeedTheAnts - Posted April 24 2020 - 5:09 PM

FeedTheAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts
  • LocationVirginia

We’re in the same boat here in VA. WAY too cold for any flights and no change in sight. It was a warm winter and now a cold spring, pretty depressing.

It hit 75 degrees down by where I live, and it rain just enough to keep the humidity up. Things are looking good for next week especially, and if I can set up a blacklighting area by then I'm hoping to snag some Colobopsis and/or Camponotus.

• ConcordAntman likes this

I accidentally froze all my ants 

#1602 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 24 2020 - 5:15 PM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
It got over 80 over here for the past couple days (a couple weeks after 6 inches of snow, lol). No flights yet, but lots of activity.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#1603 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 25 2020 - 3:16 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

We’re in the same boat here in VA. WAY too cold for any flights and no change in sight. It was a warm winter and now a cold spring, pretty depressing.

It hit 75 degrees down by where I live, and it rain just enough to keep the humidity up. Things are looking good for next week especially, and if I can set up a blacklighting area by then I'm hoping to snag some Colobopsis and/or Camponotus.
I thought you lived in NOVA? It’s straight 60s here until mid-May.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#1604 Offline AntsDakota - Posted April 25 2020 - 5:15 AM

AntsDakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,994 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota
Here it’ll be high sixties and low seventies (mostly seventies, though) until early June, when it starts to get into the eighties.

"God made..... all the creatures that move along the ground according to their kinds. (including ants) And God saw that it was good. Genesis 1:25 NIV version

#1605 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted April 26 2020 - 7:28 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

It’s depressing this rainy/cloudy/1 day of sun cycle we’re into here in MA. I can’t see us reaching the temperatures necessary for nuptial flights any time soon. Noebl1 called it, this is shaping up to be an iffy season :(.

Edited by ConcordAntman, April 26 2020 - 7:29 PM.

#1606 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted April 27 2020 - 7:16 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I’ve had to up my colony tending routine as my C. pennsylvanicus population is exploding. I’m feeding them about 3 times per week. I’m hopeful to get some growth from my C. americanus as well. I try to get some shots of the colonies with each feeding. It’s interesting how these two species differ.

5AED552B 1CAE 4E6D 81DB DD39D62B6756

Since starting, I’ve had a 20% survival of my C. pennsylvanicus queens (half at founding, half from die-offs over time). It seems though, if you make it past your second diapause, you’ll be in good stead. For the most part, C. pennsylvanicus has been easy to keep. While they’re slow growers (due to their size), they’ve not been picky eaters, they’re not particularly light sensitive, and don’t startle easily. The latter points make them easy to photograph. 

F993357F 77B8 4B22 9D7E 43E4BABF5C1D

C. americanus on the other hand, require a bit more work. I managed to have a 10% population decline due to not feeding enough protein and the colony not having a taste for the protein I provided. Akaant and ANTDrew turned me on to Dubia roaches and they’ve taken to them like manna from heaven! In contrast to C. pennsylvanicus, they seem light sensitive and startle easily. The queen stays sequestered toward the back of the chambers in the shadows with her brood pile. All of this makes snapping shots difficult since I don’t want to stress them anymore than necessary to tend them. 

In about 2 weeks, I will have been ant-keeping for two years. Considering I started in the 1980’s one could say I’m a slow study but I’m nonetheless excited to finally succeed in this hobby. 

• noebl1, akaant and ANTdrew like this

#1607 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 27 2020 - 7:24 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

So on a more positive note... we had a drought in 2016 in Massachusetts if I recall correctly, and noticed 2017 flights were smaller for sure.  It was before I kept records, so we more an anecdotal observations as had better flights in 2016 then 2017.  Also in 2016 was observing Fall ejections of Camponotus queens which can happen when they are low on resources. The last couple of Springs have been quite wet, and less dry conditions overall during the summer.  Could lead up to some large flights this year if we get some warmth.

I've also noticed some species may have cyclical flight patterns.  Some years I will observe very very large numbers for weeks of some species,then not see them at all the following year or in tiny numbers. I am unsure how much this is tracked in scientific studies?

#1608 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 27 2020 - 7:32 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

@concordantman those C. americanus look great!   One of my colonies had a *huge* die off about 2 weeks ago, I believe something they were exposed to as only those that left the nest area died.  Still trying to find it, though they having quite a few brood stacked up I am hoping they bounced back.  Took a 2nd colony out of diapause and they are doing well so far.  One more still in the basement I need to bring up.

Pic from the colony recently out of diapause.  I removed the enclosure cover and she was cautiously exploring the sudden difference in air pressure:

7VaaIef.jpg

• akaant and ConcordAntman like this

#1609 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted April 27 2020 - 8:30 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Noebl1, can you show a shot of those tubes? Are those 3-D printed plugs? Are they DIY or can they be purchased?

#1610 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 27 2020 - 8:36 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Glad to help, ConcordAntMan. I’m having fun with a flightless fruit fly culture. I ordered them from Josh’s Frogs via Amazon, and they arrived in two days. I pour a bunch into a test tube using a funnel and freeze them. All my colonies love them and no mess is left behind. Something to consider.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25

#1611 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 27 2020 - 8:37 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Noebl1, can you show a shot of those tubes? Are those 3-D printed plugs? Are they DIY or can they be purchased?

I 3D print the end caps in TPU so they don't shatter the glass (I learned the hard way standard PLA on the other hand not so good...)   It's the same stuff many cell phone cases are printed from.  Once it cools, safe for ants based on a couple years of testing :)  Those are ones i printed for 25mm test tubes for the Camponotus, here's a shot of what it looks like for the 16mm test tubes:

If you have a 3D printer, more then happy to share the STL.  

• akaant, ConcordAntman and ANTdrew like this

#1612 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted April 27 2020 - 8:09 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Noebl1, I don’t have a 3-D printer but those plugs look great! So you have a flat container as an outworld and the tubes serve as nesting chambers?

I went the AntsCanada route with the plastic tubes and a test tube portal as feeding chamber/mini-outworld. I had the option to coax the foundlings into the second tube if mold got too bad in the first one. 

64F1C92D 3C06 49B2 9814 290FE9F35941

ANTDrew, frozen flightless fruit flies (how’s that for alliteration!). I never thought of that (y) They’d be another source to rotate protein. It sounds like you keep a “seed culture” and freeze them from there for feeding as needed. I’d gotten two shipments from Rainbow Mealworms but I don’t have an incubator and couldn’t keep the culture warm enough so I got a die-off after about a week. My ant “closet” doubles as storage space. I warm it with a ceiling light. It can be sweltering in the summer but with the temperatures we’ve had so far, the best I can do is 72-74 degrees. I’ll definitely try this if I can get a fruit fly culture to survive. If freeze-thawed Dubias are like a $20 bucket from the Colonel to our ants, then are freeze-thawed fruit flies like chicken nuggets? :lol:

#1613 Offline ANTdrew - Posted April 28 2020 - 3:26 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,434 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Excellent alliteration. Fruit flies are the nuggets of insect feeders, exactly.
I have my culture sitting with a tiny bit on a extra length of heat cable. I’m hoping to set up a new container to seed and keep a cycle going.

#1614 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 28 2020 - 4:08 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Hey all, I haven't been on this forum for a minute but I'm glad this thread is still being used and wish everyone good luck with this years flights  :)

• noebl1 and ConcordAntman like this

#1615 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 28 2020 - 4:16 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

@concordantman I apologize, I thought I had posted it in the past. I typically go from a test tube, to a test tube in an container, then move to a nest when they outgrow that. Here's some setups from a couple years ago:

q0yUSpY.jpg

OpfnzFc.jpg

I haven't printed TPU in a bit, but if I do another batch, I can print up a few extras for you.

#1616 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted April 29 2020 - 8:46 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

noebl1,

Doh, I saw this last night, wrote a response, then got distracted before I hit send. I must’ve closed the window because what I wrote is gone. Well, you know what they say is the first thing to go...

Thanks for shot of your setup. Plastic cases with a molded grout base to accept the test tubes. I hadn’t seen it though I saw an on edge view of the cases in a shot of your cooler back when I was worrying about my colonies’ first diapause. I remember being dumbfounded by the sheer size of your collection. Impressive! I like the simplicity, size, and stackability of your setup. I’ve still got my empty Phalanx formicarium to fill. Three colonies might be my limit  Let’s all hope not only for good health but good collecting as flight season continues!

• noebl1 likes this

#1617 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 29 2020 - 9:08 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

noebl1,

Doh, I saw this last night, wrote a response, then got distracted before I hit send. I must’ve closed the window because what I wrote is gone. Well, you know what they say is the first thing to go...

Thanks for shot of your setup. Plastic cases with a molded grout base to accept the test tubes. I hadn’t seen it though I saw an on edge view of the cases in a shot of your cooler back when I was worrying about my colonies’ first diapause. I remember being dumbfounded by the sheer size of your collection. Impressive! I like the simplicity, size, and stackability of your setup. I’ve still got my empty Phalanx formicarium to fill. Three colonies might be my limit  Let’s all hope not only for good health but good collecting as flight season continues!

I've been scaling back, as takes the fun out of it a bit when constantly feeding and not getting to sit back and watch / focus on a colony or two and watch their day to day development or issues.  It's actually hydrostone in those pics and not grout, but recently switched to ultraca30 as it's low-expansion properties. The Hydrostone would expand JUST enough to warp the plastic slightly so little ants could escape.  Learned that the hard way.  I mix it up, and pour it in. It's thick enough I can basically lean it to one side for just a few seconds, and it will be thicker in the back than the front. I then place the test tubes in with caps on them so it can't enter, then pop them out after it's mostly set (usually pop right out without hassle.)  Takes me longer to drill the box then to make them.  In later iteration, I found the gaffers tape over the screen can get lose over time, so instead using a tube and a screen with a cap:

zVfTH37.jpg

I put in a round piece of pipe screen I got from Amazon, place it into the bottom of the cap, then the friction of the tubing being put in keeps it in place. No glue, and easy to make.

Edited by noebl1, April 29 2020 - 9:09 AM.

#1618 Offline akaant - Posted May 2 2020 - 3:34 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

Good to see everyone is alive and well including the ants. (y) I had 2 colony losses during / just after diapause and the rest look fine. My C castaneus under 2 years old colony with 100+ workers and half that in brood, should explode at this rate this summer.

I made a properly working version of my multi-colony watering tower that's actually leak proof. It saves so much time being able to refill 12 reservoirs at once.

dYZjewA.jpg

dTlQ8gT.jpg

THWjRHC.jpg

Edited by akaant, May 2 2020 - 4:50 PM.

• ConcordAntman, AntsDakota and Chickalo like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

#1619 Offline NickAnter - Posted May 2 2020 - 5:36 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I'm pretty sure that's americanus not castaneus. Some workers are far too dark to be castaneus. Never mind.

Edited by NickAnter, May 2 2020 - 6:11 PM.

• Chickalo likes this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#1620 Offline akaant - Posted May 2 2020 - 5:53 PM

akaant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 133 posts
  • LocationPalmer MA

The colony is C castaneus with some C americanus workers brood boosted. Not long after I captured the 5 worker colony I had the opportunity to brood boost with C americanus.  I didn't know if it would work out, but had to try everything because of the rarity of the species in my state.

Side by side of both species coexisting.

t63RrWX.jpg

• Nathant2131, AntsMaryland and Chickalo like this

AKA's Ant adoption.

http://www.formicult...achusetts-only/

Youtube. https://www.youtube....Hbsk2xiarcfGTmw

Keeper of...

Aphaenogaster sp

Camponotus americanus, castaneus, chromaiodes, novaeboracensis, pennsylvanicus.

Crematogaster sp

tetramorium immigrans

Formica sp

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users