• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#1181 Offline mallonje - Posted May 27 2018 - 5:15 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Welcome!

My parents lived in Concord for 10 years.

There's a town trail off of strawberry hill road. It's not in the best of shape. It takes you in to the back side of the work farm. I was there last week and saw plenty of C. Pennsylvanicus workers. Give it a shot next warm day we have.
  • noebl1 likes this

Founding:

1 P. Imparis queen caught 4/26/18

2 L. Umbratus caught 5/8/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/7/18 1st Eggs 5/17/18 

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/17/18 1st Eggs 5/22/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/31/18

1 T. Caespitum(?) queen caught 6/1/18

#1182 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 28 2018 - 1:12 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
So here she is: Campotous Queen https://imgur.com/a/MtbdF3 (sorry if the pictures aren't the best, I didn't want to disturb her to much)

#1183 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 28 2018 - 1:18 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

So here she is: Campotous Queen https://imgur.com/a/MtbdF3 (sorry if the pictures aren't the best, I didn't want to disturb her to much)

Link isn't working for me :(

• Aquaexploder likes this

#1184 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 28 2018 - 1:59 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Me either

#1185 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 28 2018 - 2:29 PM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Welcome!

My parents lived in Concord for 10 years.

There's a town trail off of strawberry hill road. It's not in the best of shape. It takes you in to the back side of the work farm. I was there last week and saw plenty of C. Pennsylvanicus workers. Give it a shot next warm day we have.

Thanks mallonje! I know that area. We're on the other side of town, south of Route 2 near Verrill Farm. There are 3 active family farms within a 15 minute walk. The fields are tilled, planted and sprouting. I found another C pennsylvanicus queen today for a total of 5. Not planning to catch any more, I've used all my test tubes. Now I wait to see if any of the queens raise a successful brood. Two of the 5 have laid eggs so we'll see.

• Aquaexploder and mallonje like this

#1186 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 28 2018 - 3:18 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Sorry about the link, should be working now👍
https://imgur.com/a/MtbdF3Q

Edited by Aquaexploder, May 28 2018 - 3:20 PM.

• noebl1 likes this

#1187 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 28 2018 - 4:08 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Sorry about the link, should be working now
https://imgur.com/a/MtbdF3Q

Based on the amount of red that extends down to the gaster, she may be a C. chromaiodes?

In any event, she's really sharp looking.

#1188 Offline Myrmidon - Posted May 28 2018 - 4:51 PM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

That looks indeed to be a C. chromaiodes queen! Congratulations! They are a beautiful species. 

• noebl1 and Aquaexploder like this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#1189 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted May 28 2018 - 4:54 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

Thanks for the ID :)

• noebl1 and Myrmidon like this

#1190 Offline mallonje - Posted May 28 2018 - 6:12 PM

mallonje

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I lost another L. umbratus queen. 

So I caught 3 in one day a while back, one died shortly after getting into the test tube setup. Truth be told she was the slowest least energetic.  

So I had been trying to introduce workers from other local lasius colonies to the remaining two. At first I introduced 1 worker, the queens killed them and cleaned themselves, so I introduced more. In total I went through 23 worker ants because the queens just kept killing them all. It was as if they were having fun. 

So I researched online, and decided I would get younger workers, with brood, and provide more space. So this time I built a mini outworld (prescription bottle with a hollowed test tube stopper) to attach to the end of my test tube, and raided a wild L. Alienius/ niger nest. The queen first took a pupae back into the test tube with her. This caused some workers to follow. They all had a little freak out so I let them be. This Thursday morning I checked in on them, one of the workers was dead, everyone was coexisting, but they didn't appear to be "social" yet - no trophallaxis, or cleaning or anything. But the honey and meal worm I put in appeared to have been enjoyed by all. Heat never dropped below 72.

Just checked in today - only 2 workers still alive, trying to tend the remaining brood. The queens is dead. The workers seem to have moved everything into a pile in the outworld. 

Mean while the other queen I had, has taken to eating the eggs and pupae I've been putting in even though she too has meal worm and honey.

Maybe parasitic lasius was too much for me to take on in my first year, but I'd like to get it right. Especially if I plan to eventually keep L. claviger.  

Edited by mallonje, May 28 2018 - 6:18 PM.

• noebl1, Aquaexploder and ConcordAntman like this

Founding:

1 P. Imparis queen caught 4/26/18

2 L. Umbratus caught 5/8/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/7/18 1st Eggs 5/17/18 

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/17/18 1st Eggs 5/22/18

1 C. Pennsylvanicus queen caught 5/31/18

1 T. Caespitum(?) queen caught 6/1/18

#1191 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 29 2018 - 5:04 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

I might have a minor crisis here. Of my 5 queens, I thought two had laid eggs. One of the two has died but with over a dozen of her "eggs" in the tube. I searched the forum for "dead queens" and found this thread http://www.formicult...l=+dead +queensAm I mistaking phorid fly larvae for C pennsylvanicus larvae?!?! Link to the picture here https://www.4shared.com/s/fcEN0ZB03gm

Edited by ConcordAntman, May 29 2018 - 5:06 AM.

#1192 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 29 2018 - 5:36 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I might have a minor crisis here. Of my 5 queens, I thought two had laid eggs. One of the two has died but with over a dozen of her "eggs" in the tube. I searched the forum for "dead queens" and found this thread http://www.formicult...l=+dead +queensAm I mistaking phorid fly larvae for C pennsylvanicus larvae?!?! Link to the picture here https://www.4shared.com/s/fcEN0ZB03gm

It's hard to tell from the pic, however normally larvae isn't so scattered around.  Plus, if they are moving around the test tube they are most certainly not Camponotus larvae.

• ConcordAntman likes this

#1193 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 29 2018 - 5:42 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Thanks noebl1! Yeah, they're moving. I'm going to discard the dead queen with the numerous (whatever) larvae and start over but I'm going to hang on to the one with just the four (whatever) larvae for a bit. Bummer...

• noebl1 likes this

#1194 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 29 2018 - 6:07 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts

Found this AntsCanada video 

Looks like 2 of my 5 have parasites.

Edited by ConcordAntman, May 29 2018 - 6:09 AM.

#1195 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 29 2018 - 6:17 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I find many of my Camponotus end up with parasite; sometimes as much as 50% can which is crazy.  Pretty classic where you catch them, then 1-5 days later their gaster blows up like a balloon and they die.  For keeping ants it's unfortunate, but for C. pennsylvanicus it's a good thing as for me, they are a very prevalent species, so it left unchecked, can only imagine how many there would be.  I very rarely find other species with parasites which is good.

#1196 Offline ConcordAntman - Posted May 29 2018 - 10:37 AM

ConcordAntman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts
Oh well, back to the drawing board. After another look, I’ve removed the dead queen with the parasitic fly larvae but I actually think the other queen might have actually laid eggs. She only has 4 or 5 and they aren’t moving (thankfully she still is). We’ll see what the next months bring.

Edited by ConcordAntman, May 29 2018 - 12:47 PM.

#1197 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 29 2018 - 11:00 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
Usually Camponotus eggs are yellow or orange, though sometimes can be white. There's a bit of variability as with anything. They look this color for a little while, and the larvae don't really move on their own but rely on the workers to manage them.

There's still plenty of time for flights, so even if you got 5 duds, I'd be surprised if you didn't see more. Camponotus can fly into July!

BTW hot outside, look today/tonight for flights.
  • ConcordAntman likes this

#1198 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 29 2018 - 1:28 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Just saw a Camponotus drone, so they may be considering a flight.

• mallonje likes this

#1199 Offline rdurham02 - Posted May 29 2018 - 4:54 PM

rdurham02

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationPortland, Maine

Some Camponotus flew today in Southern Maine! I caught one C. pennsylvanicus. and a smaller queen which I believe to be C. caryae or C. nearcticus.

#1200 Offline noebl1 - Posted May 29 2018 - 5:29 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
Finding C. pennsylvanicas and C. nearcticus dealates with flashlight spotting.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users