• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#101 Offline randeee - Posted April 10 2017 - 1:14 PM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Speaking of male alates, I caught one by accident with a queen. Should I free him?

#102 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 1:23 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
I would.

#103 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 10 2017 - 1:39 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

@Nathant2131 It's possible maybe the queens didn't fly today by you?  I found two more at 4:30 today bumbling around at work into a curb...  So betting you would have seen something today even if they flew earlier. 

In addition to the P. imparis, at work today I also saw Tetramorium and Formica ants.  At home I saw Lasius Neoniger for the first time had opened up their entrance and were actively foraging.

#104 Offline Cindy - Posted April 10 2017 - 1:47 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
Found two more that have dropped their wings. Dug them out of their founding chambers lol.

#105 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted April 10 2017 - 3:58 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

I'm currently located in CT, but I thought you would like to know that a massive Prenolepis imparis flight just took place here today!!! I would be on the lookout for queens.

• noebl1 and Cindy like this

#106 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 10 2017 - 5:00 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Looks like I got 5 dealates, and 3 still with wings.  As I've seen with Lasius and Tetramorium, wings != non-fertilized (and vice versa), so hoping they settle.  One still had the male attached when I found her, they eventually separated after 5mins and he's still alive, so not sure if he finished his duty (not sure how long the process of copulation takes.)

Two of the dealates I found were  in an area where I had also found a Lasius queen last year that died in a couple hours, so hopefully no pesticides.   These were interesting as within 6" of each other and thoroughly confounded by a granite curb in the parking lot and not sure how to hide.  The wind was pretty gusty and pushing them against the curb, so guessing that didn't help.

I'm heading to our other office tomorrow which is a bit more north west of where I was today, so hoping I see some flights there tomorrow.  It's a bit more urban, but more trees by far.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#107 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 5:06 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Looks like I got 5 dealates, and 3 still with wings.  As I've seen with Lasius and Tetramorium, wings != non-fertilized (and vice versa), so hoping they settle.  One still had the male attached when I found her, they eventually separated after 5mins and he's still alive, so not sure if he finished his duty (not sure how long the process of copulation takes.)

Two of the dealates I found were  in an area where I had also found a Lasius queen last year that died in a couple hours, so hopefully no pesticides.   These were interesting as within 6" of each other and thoroughly confounded by a granite curb in the parking lot and not sure how to hide.  The wind was pretty gusty and pushing them against the curb, so guessing that didn't help.

I'm heading to our other office tomorrow which is a bit more north west of where I was today, so hoping I see some flights there tomorrow.  It's a bit more urban, but more trees by far.

So, you caught all of these is Lincoln correct? Any mating activity in Tyngsborough?

#108 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 10 2017 - 5:14 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

So, you caught all of these is Lincoln correct? Any mating activity in Tyngsborough?

Correct, all in Lincoln today.  Only ants I saw today in Tyngsboro were Lasius neoniger; no evidence of flights here at all.  I walked around for a bit when I got home as well.  My daughter was playing outside this afternoon here and in Nashua, and she didn't see any (she's pretty clued into catching ants and better at queen spotting than I.)  

I was really surprised at the wind they were battling today.   It's really really flat around this office, so the winds really pick up so I think the 10-15mph steady and 25mph gusts were probably dead on.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#109 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 11 2017 - 2:21 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
I hope they fly for long periods of time. I won't be home until 2 where it will be 80s,and it's supposed to get to proper flight conditions at like 10-11-12 am. I wonder if 80s is too hot for them.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 11 2017 - 2:30 AM.

#110 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 11 2017 - 3:40 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

They were flying where I was around 79-80F, so temps may be ok.  Good luck today :)

• Nathant2131 likes this

#111 Offline Cindy - Posted April 11 2017 - 4:19 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
Was looking outside my windshield at the Starbucks drive through, and it seems they may fly again today. Saw some male alates hovering in the air so not sure if they're leftover from yesterday's flight.

#112 Offline zkublin - Posted April 11 2017 - 5:20 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

I was not able to find any queens yesterday closer to Boston (Somerville), so hopefully they will decide to fly today.  Is anyone on this forum closer to the city like I am?

#113 Offline Cindy - Posted April 11 2017 - 5:25 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

I was not able to find any queens yesterday closer to Boston (Somerville), so hopefully they will decide to fly today.  Is anyone on this forum closer to the city like I am?

You can try Boston common. There have been sightings of p imparis in Somerville, look for sprawling grassy hills near oak trees. Maybe a local park?

#114 Offline zkublin - Posted April 11 2017 - 5:27 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

You can try Boston common. There have been sightings of p imparis in Somerville, look for sprawling grassy hills near oak trees. Maybe a local park?

Will do!  Thanks for the tips.  I always struggle to find queens other than Camponotus around the city, so any tips or advice for urban queen hunting is much appreciated.

• Cindy likes this

#115 Offline Cindy - Posted April 11 2017 - 5:41 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

I was not able to find any queens yesterday closer to Boston (Somerville), so hopefully they will decide to fly today. Is anyone on this forum closer to the city like I am?

Will do! Thanks for the tips. I always struggle to find queens other than Camponotus around the city, so any tips or advice for urban queen hunting is much appreciated.
I'll take a photo of where yesterday's nuptial flight occurred after work so you have an idea

Edited by Cindy, April 11 2017 - 8:25 AM.

#116 Offline Cindy - Posted April 11 2017 - 8:29 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
They're flying again. Same place
  • Nathant2131 likes this

#117 Offline randeee - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:08 AM

randeee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA
Just caught a queen during my break in Cambridge. Parks seem to be a good spot to look.

#118 Offline zkublin - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:48 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Just caught a queen during my break in Cambridge. Parks seem to be a good spot to look.

They're flying again. Same place

Parks under oak treas was the pro tip!  I got 2 queens on my lunch break.  They are definitely still flying today.

• Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#119 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 11 2017 - 9:50 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I just took a quick walk for a few blocks around our other office and didn't say any today.  Irony is I figured this would be the better location, yet the other office yesterday I figured nothing was my jackpot :-\

• Nathant2131 likes this

#120 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 11 2017 - 10:06 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
Nothing here :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users