• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

• Please log in to reply
2107 replies to this topic

#61 Offline Cindy - Posted April 9 2017 - 1:09 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

I am not sure if p imparis is flying but we just found a single queen with wings on a tree. Also male alates were flying. One landed on our car windshield. Caught the Queen and will have pics

Really only thing that would be flying would be P. Imparis right now, and nuptials on trees are sort of their MO... so that's a good sign :)

Yeah I just found it alone on a tree. No nest nearby or swarming males (the males we saw landed on our windshield on the way back home)

Here's a picture:

IMG 20170409 170551

#62 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 9 2017 - 1:11 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

That very much does look like P. Imparis :)

• Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#63 Offline Cindy - Posted April 9 2017 - 1:21 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

That very much does look like P. Imparis :)

That's awesome! Hopefully I will find more in the coming warm days 

#64 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 9 2017 - 2:08 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

4/9/2017

Lots to report! Recapping the day.

I went out early this morning and it was very cold and even some frost on the ground. As it warmed up later, the P. imparis colony in my yard was busy foraging at the base of their tree. This was taken at 10:04 AM:

10:04 AM: Some trophallaxis with some sap:

10:11 AM: Strangely, some workers were fighting wich leads me to believe more than one colony comes here. Also, spotted what might have been a wandering male:

10:15 AM: Some more fighting, and a possible nest entrance:

10:17 AM: More congregating:

1:41 PM: While trying hard to locate the entrance of the P. imparis nest, I located a group of Tetramorium workers about a foo. Maybe on top of their nestt or two away. It is tough to see things since there are lots of sticks, trees and a bush:

1:50 PM: P. imparis worker drinking some sunburst that I gave:

I saw no mating activity throughout the day besides the possible male. So at about 2:00 PM, I took a 3 mile walk around the block.I knew that there was a P. imparis colony under a downed piece of fence along the way that was often packed with alates if it was warm (Figured this out in the warm streak we had last Feb) So I took the long way knowing it was getting warmer, to see if there were any surfacing alates!

3:01 PM: They were not surfacing, but I really figured out what "Packed with alates" really was! There were loads of female and male alates when I uncovered the colony. I will definitely check this colony out again when it is warmer on Monday and Tuesday:

I went inside a little early but doubt I missed anything flying. Maybe a small male congregation at the very most.

Great to hear they are surfacing, Cindy!

• Cindy likes this

#65 Offline Cindy - Posted April 9 2017 - 2:11 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

4/9/2017

Lots to report! Recapping the day.

I went out early this morning and it was very cold and even some frost on the ground. As it warmed up later, the P. imparis colony in my yard was busy foraging at the base of their tree. This was taken at 10:04 AM:

10:04 AM: Some trophallaxis with some sap:

10:11 AM: Strangely, some workers were fighting wich leads me to believe more than one colony comes here. Also, spotted what might have been a wandering male:

10:15 AM: Some more fighting, and a possible nest entrance:

10:17 AM: More congregating:

1:41 PM: While trying hard to locate the entrance of the P. imparis nest, I located a group of Tetramorium workers about a foo. Maybe on top of their nestt or two away. It is tough to see things since there are lots of sticks, trees and a bush:

1:50 PM: P. imparis worker drinking some sunburst that I gave:

I saw no mating activity throughout the day besides the possible male. So at about 2:00 PM, I took a 3 mile walk around the block.I knew that there was a P. imparis colony under a downed piece of fence along the way that was often packed with alates if it was warm (Figured this out in the warm streak we had last Feb) So I took the long way knowing it was getting warmer, to see if there were any surfacing alates!

3:01 PM: They were not surfacing, but I really figured out what "Packed with alates" really was! There were loads of female and male alates when I uncovered the colony. I will definitely check this colony out again when it is warmer on Monday and Tuesday:

I went inside a little early but doubt I missed anything flying. Maybe a small male congregation at the very most.

Great to hear they are surfacing, Cindy!

Thanks for the extensive update! Very informative. I wasn't able to find their nest, just that one female alate. Also, the videos are on private so I wasn't able to see them.

#66 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 9 2017 - 2:21 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I walked a lot today, but didn't find any here yet.  Took a good hike into the woods as well.  Did see a yellow spotted salamander, so guessing Tue or Wed night if it's warm/wet they'll head down to the vernal pools to breed.

Also word of warning as you are going out the next few days, they are warning that this may be a historic year for ticks (and Lyme's disease).  I walked thru one part of our property and found *7* ticks on my pants within 50' of short grass.  So be careful when going out.  Here's a shot from one of the posts outside today:

5kwCVtr.jpg

• Nathant2131 likes this

#67 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 9 2017 - 2:32 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
definitely adult deer ticks. careful!

#68 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 9 2017 - 2:39 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Oh! Set to unlisted now.

Wow gotta watch out for those ticks.

Edited by Nathant2131, April 9 2017 - 2:41 PM.

• Cindy likes this

#69 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 9 2017 - 2:45 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Noob Q but Are nuptial flights a one shot deal or is it something that builds over a few days?

#70 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 9 2017 - 2:49 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Noob Q but Are nuptial flights a one shot deal or is it something that builds over a few days?

I think it depends on the species. P. imparis and Lasius (Not sure about the soccial parasites) may contemplate flying for a few days and surface before flight time, but I'm not sure about other species. Of course, flight day will gradually build up from a few alates on the ground to many, and eventual flying. 

#71 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 9 2017 - 3:09 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
I think I get you. Each colony (and neighbors) pretty much has it's "day", but a few practice runs/staging occur. I best be ready or I got to wait another year.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

#72 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 9 2017 - 3:15 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

P. imparis will have flights for a bit based on discussions with some other members who've caught them before.   I'm guessing they probably have a peak flight like other species do, which is probably semi-regional (hoping as we're farther north, ours fly tomorrow or Tue.)  Last year I saw a couple small Camponotus flights until they had a *huge* one that was a good chunk of the northeast, then after that there were more flights, but a lot smaller.  Lasius I found last year were the same way, and as a matter of fact I saw the alates several times before they finally flew (similar to what Nathant2131 reported today), then the same colony flew at least twice that I saw, and I think maybe a 3rd or fourth time (obviously lesser).  Temnothorax seemed to be in larger numbers when conditions were right for a few nights and they slowly trailed off.

#73 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 9 2017 - 6:18 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
Thank you both. It's encouraging news. I work during the day so it'll certainly improve my odds if the fly multiple times. Very excited!

#74 Offline Cindy - Posted April 10 2017 - 8:53 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
Out on lunch break and I found a p imparis female alate attached to a male one. They are flying, folks!!!

#75 Offline zkublin - Posted April 10 2017 - 9:11 AM

zkublin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Out on lunch break and I found a p imparis female alate attached to a male one. They are flying, folks!!!

I'm going on my lunch break now, maybe I will get lucky here in Somerville.

• Cindy likes this

#76 Offline Cindy - Posted April 10 2017 - 9:26 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA
Just witnessed my first nuptial flight! Holy smokes it's so beautiful. Caught six or seven of these queens and some male alates. Lunch break is over but I will check back after work.
And yes, male alates did seem to outnumber the queens 200:1

#77 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 10 2017 - 9:39 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

I ran out for a few minutes, and saw one male alate here in Lincoln, so they are flying :)

• Cindy likes this

#78 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 9:51 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
I might be too late. Getting home from the bus at 2.

#79 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 10 2017 - 9:53 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts
Will be home at 2 on the dot. Just in time for the high.
  • Cindy likes this

#80 Offline noebl1 - Posted April 10 2017 - 9:54 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Will be home at 2 on the dot. Just in time for the high.

I've got meetings today now at 2p and 3p, so think I may be SOL for today :(

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users