• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2124 replies to this topic

#781 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 26 2017 - 9:39 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

P. imparis, Pheidole and Lasius neoniger are my favorites.    However only have 2 of those 3 :)

On a side note, at the end of our driveway the woods are clear for a 30x10 patch, and about 3x10' of that is a flat sandy/rocky/loose soil area not covered in leaves (most of our lot is forest aside from a seasonal pond).  This is where there are quite a few Lasius sp, and where C. americanus had previously had nests (not seeing it this year, though they hide entrances very well.)   Now that I've been gone for over a week, I surveyed that area to check for flights, changes, etc.  Today I noticed today three small hills about the size of quarters with *very* tiny light brown ants coming out.  Going to see if I can get an ID as not sure if Monomorium, Pheidole, etc.

Other thing I noticed today is the Camponotus Myrmentoma colony residing in an enclosure outside has alates.  Guessing overwintering as they typically fly in May.

• Aquaexploder likes this

#782 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted August 26 2017 - 6:36 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Small Tetramorium flight today.

Edited by Aquaexploder, August 26 2017 - 6:37 PM.

#783 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 27 2017 - 4:48 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

Now that I've been gone for over a week, I surveyed that area to check for flights, changes, etc.  Today I noticed today three small hills about the size of quarters with *very* tiny light brown ants coming out.

I would say Solenopsis molesta.
  • noebl1 likes this

#784 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 27 2017 - 6:47 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

What is everyone here's favorite species/genus in New England?

Jeeze, its like choosing between two of your children lol. Here is my top 4 list of my favorite native species : 

4. Temnothorax (the whole genus)
3. Solenopsis molesta 
2. Pheidole pilifera
1. Monomorium emarginatum

Ok cool just curious because maybe I'll can keep my eye out for them next year.

The species that I had mentioned are those that I enjoy observing in the wild the most (forgot to add Aphaenogaster spp. as my fith favorite to observe, guess it didn't occur to me at the time). My favorite ant species to rear are Tetramorium sp.e, Lasius neoniger, Monomorium emarginatum and Aphaenogaster spp. (in no particular order).

#785 Offline Connectimyrmex - Posted August 27 2017 - 7:49 AM

Connectimyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,864 posts
  • LocationAvon, Connecticut

Hey ct, do you want my Temnothorax longispinosus colony? It's one queen and maybe ten workers.

Hawaiiant (Ben)

Keeper of
Miniature Labradoodle
Baby Wolf Spider
Mud Dauber wasp larvae
Ochetellus Glaber
Solenopsis Geminata
Brachymyrmex Obscurior
Cardiocondyla Emeryi
Tetramorium Bicarinatum
Plagiolepis Alluaudi
Anoplolepis Gracilipes
Technomyrmex Difficilis
Pheidole Megacephala
Aholehole fish
Cowrie snail
Sea Fan Worm
100+ sea squirts
Tree seedlings
Ghost Crab
Day Gecko
Small Fat Centipede
Endemic Lacewing larva
Vernal Pool shrimps

#786 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted August 27 2017 - 10:19 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Hey ct, do you want my Temnothorax longispinosus colony? It's one queen and maybe ten workers.

That's very nice of you, but since I only have so much time to care for the colonies I currently own, I would want to get the most out of the experience of owning them. What I mean by this is that I would want to collect an older colony with a larger population and some alates if I were to decide to rear them. Thanks though, but I feel as though I might try to find my own.

#787 Offline noebl1 - Posted August 28 2017 - 12:50 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Now that I've been gone for over a week, I surveyed that area to check for flights, changes, etc.  Today I noticed today three small hills about the size of quarters with *very* tiny light brown ants coming out.

I would say Solenopsis molesta.

I think you nailed it :)

• Nathant2131 likes this

#788 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 28 2017 - 3:58 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Decided to get myself lost in the Dracut-Lowell State Forest today. Pretty fun to explore around in there. I was finding TONS of Lasius (flavus-group) colonies with alates of both genders in them. I also found one Lasius (claviger-group) nest with alates also.

• noebl1 likes this

#789 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted August 30 2017 - 4:23 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Today's notable finds in the Dracut Lowell State Forest: 

- Two Formica sp. dealate queens under a small rock, possibly coexisting together. I could only catch one as they were very fast and easily got hidden in the surrounding leaves and what not. ID Thread: http://www.formicult...chusetts-83017/

They seem to be a slave raider species or temporary social parasite; Not sure of the other possibilities though; I'll have to do some reading in the New England Field Guide.

LBMM6WW.jpg

- Myrmecina americana colony under a rock with both male and female alates.

E155dIw.jpg?1

-Cute Bullfrog.  :D

2c1Yzgh.jpg

• nurbs, LC3, noebl1 and 2 others like this

#790 Offline Leo - Posted August 30 2017 - 4:27 PM

Leo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • LocationHong Kong

nice

#791 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 4 2017 - 11:22 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Yah! We're back...

On 9/2 around noon found a Formica alate on the ground; looks very much like a subintegra.  Hoping to post a pic today for positive idea now that FC is back before I let her go.

Also the Lasius neoniger mounds here are prepping for flights right now.  Entrances are widened and alates crowding the openings.  If like last year, they didn't fly until evening before sunset, and will be a bunch of flights (so don't fret if they don't fly today or you don't find any).  Other Lasius sp. however did start flying a bit earlier in the day.  Remember to wait until they land after their mating flight, as catching them as they leave the nest means infertile :)

Keep an eye out for Ponera, Myrmica and Brachymyrmex in the coming weeks as well.  Any 80 degree day, especially a day or two after rains is good odds something will be flying from now into early October.  Dragonflies will be fat and happy for a bit eating them.

My Lasius alienus pair I caught back in July both have brood piles.  Still not sure if fertile, but will know soon if like last season.

All of my Temnothorax now have nanitics which are incredibly tiny so easy to miss.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#792 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 4 2017 - 1:13 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Here they are... see if they actually fly tonight or a false start:

QUCUC2g.jpg

0efyJJ5.jpg

0efyJJ5

• Nathant2131 and Aquaexploder like this

#793 Offline Salmon - Posted September 4 2017 - 2:42 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

My Phediole queen is doing well and has growing larvae. Sorry, no pictures... still trying not to disturb her.

#794 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 4 2017 - 2:57 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Hahaha.... they definitely flew, and they were still going strong when I called it a day and went inside some a few mins back back.. Lasius neoniger flying by the masses, right in my yard. The swarming was crazy, and the alates were mating all over my head, which was... an experience. Pics coming soon, like minutes soon!

• noebl1 and Aquaexploder like this

#795 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 4 2017 - 3:19 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Hahaha.... they definitely flew, and they were still going strong when I called it a day and went inside some a few mins back back.. Lasius neoniger flying by the masses, right in my yard. The swarming was crazy, and the alates were mating all over my head, which was... an experience. Pics coming soon, like minutes soon!

Amazing the difference a dozen or so miles makes.  I just checked and they were still stacked up around the entrances, and found one lone alate walking up the driveway about 100' away.  I didn't see any bodies from dragonflies either and I've been out the last few hours.  Guessing they haven't flown here fully yet.  Gotta love weather :)  It never hit 80 here I noticed, so wonder if just didn't make it temp wise.

#796 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 4 2017 - 3:25 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

ITAwFqC.jpg

6f7p4fX.jpg

fL9r4m8.jpg

EnaO7BF.jpg

Ok7pEkq.jpg

Random wing I found in some rocks:

p8NyyON.jpg

oANJZYM.jpg

Llkrf0j.jpg

When you looked at the sky, there was so much stuff flying, it was nuts. I caught quite a few queens in my hand while flying.

• nurbs, noebl1 and Aquaexploder like this

#797 Offline noebl1 - Posted September 4 2017 - 3:37 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

@Nathant2131 Nice shots!

I just looked at the weather from today, and stations to the east of RT3 broke 80, while our high was 76.  Also noticed the alate I got is more than likely not a Lasius neoniger as she's quite yellow in color.  I may go out later tonight with the flashlight in case some other stuff flew, but I think it was pretty idle here.

#798 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted September 4 2017 - 4:06 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
I set out my light trap tonight, think I'll catch any stragglers?

#799 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted September 4 2017 - 4:10 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

I set out my light trap tonight, think I'll catch any stragglers?

Right now I'm seeing leftover males perched on the porch , looking out my window. Maybe.

#800 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted September 4 2017 - 5:46 PM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
No luck tonight.
  • Nathant2131 likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users