• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

2121 replies to this topic

#461 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted June 19 2017 - 5:20 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island

I went out last night and didn't see anything flying. Did anyone find anything this AM like Tetramorium?

I found a tetramorium queen yesterday (not the one in Maine) but her wings were all shriveled up and she could barely twitch her legs.

Edited by Aquaexploder, June 19 2017 - 5:22 AM.

#462 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 19 2017 - 5:36 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts
  • LocationNorthern Massachusetts

I went out last night and didn't see anything flying.  Did anyone find anything this AM like Tetramorium?

Same here and nothing this morning, which I am surprised by.  PS sorry for being quiet for so long, I just got back from my honeymoon last week and it has taken me a few days to get back to my normal routine.

Congratulations!!!!!

• ctantkeeper, Nathant2131 and Cindy like this

#463 Offline Myrmidon - Posted June 19 2017 - 5:55 AM

Myrmidon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationWaltham, Massachusetts

Just did my rounds - seems really quiet. And all I caught in the kiddie pool was a spider.  :lol:

Looks like the rest of the week is looking up. We might get some more rain this evening, at least in my area.

And Congrats, zkublin!!

Edited by Myrmidon, June 19 2017 - 6:20 AM.

• noebl1 and Nathant2131 like this

Keeper of:

Prenolepis imparis (4 founding queens)

Camponotus pennsylvanicus (5 founding queens)

Reticulitermes flavipes (3 pairs, subterranean termite)

#464 Offline Cindy - Posted June 19 2017 - 6:51 AM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

I went out last night and didn't see anything flying.  Did anyone find anything this AM like Tetramorium?

Same here and nothing this morning, which I am surprised by.  PS sorry for being quiet for so long, I just got back from my honeymoon last week and it has taken me a few days to get back to my normal routine.

Congrats!!!

#465 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 19 2017 - 9:54 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts
I was outside for a large part of the day so far (end of school is nearing, so lots of carnivals and what not) and nothing as far as I could see regarding flights.

Congrats, zkublin!

Edited by Nathant2131, June 19 2017 - 9:55 AM.

• noebl1, Cindy and Aquaexploder like this

#466 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 19 2017 - 10:13 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I was outside for a large part of the day so far (end of school is nearing, so lots of carnivals and what not) and nothing as far as I could see regarding flights.

Congrats, zkublin!

Ditto here too when I walked around a few times today.  With the storms tonight, guessing nothing will happen today (though I've been wrong before).

• Nathant2131 and Aquaexploder like this

#467 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 19 2017 - 1:35 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

I've had a crummy couple of weeks, and looks to be continuing.  The one P. imparis queen I had that actually had pupae, seems to have died.  The rest aren't nearly as far along.  Not sure of an easy way to combine them to another queen either.  Bummer :(

#468 Offline Cindy - Posted June 19 2017 - 1:43 PM

Cindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • LocationRandolph, MA

I've had a crummy couple of weeks, and looks to be continuing.  The one P. imparis queen I had that actually had pupae, seems to have died.  The rest aren't nearly as far along.  Not sure of an easy way to combine them to another queen either.  Bummer :(

Aww. That really sucks, sorry to hear. As for a plan to combine, it should be fine just using a fine tipped needle (or cotton swab) to pick them up and plop them down into the other queen's tube. I've had a queen die and transferred her eggs this way. Overnight the new queen gathered up the eggs and put them into her pile
  • noebl1, Nathant2131, Myrmidon and 1 other like this

#469 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 19 2017 - 1:49 PM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Aww. That really sucks, sorry to hear. As for a plan to combine, it should be fine just using a fine tipped needle (or cotton swab) to pick them up and plop them down into the other queen's tube. I've had a queen die and transferred her eggs this way. Overnight the new queen gathered up the eggs and put them into her pile

You just made my day :D  I just tried this... and from the disturbance of moving them, was enough for her to go and pick up the majority of what was put in with the qtip.  See how it goes, I'd do a multiple like on your post if possible, hehe.

EDIT: Forgot the most important part.  THANK YOU.  

Edited by noebl1, June 19 2017 - 1:50 PM.

• Nathant2131, Cindy, Myrmidon and 1 other like this

#470 Offline Aquaexploder - Posted June 20 2017 - 5:36 AM

Aquaexploder

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 241 posts
  • LocationRhode Island
Their was quite a bit of rain here in Rhode Island yesterday and it's supposed to get up to 82 today. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for nuptials flights!

#471 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 20 2017 - 10:52 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
My first Myrmentoma worker has already eclosed!
  • noebl1 and Aquaexploder like this

#472 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 20 2017 - 10:57 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

Any pics? :)

• Aquaexploder likes this

#473 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 20 2017 - 11:20 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Any pics? :)

Coming soon! Right after I update my journal  :D

• Aquaexploder likes this

#474 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 20 2017 - 3:15 PM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

• noebl1 and Cindy like this

#475 Offline Salmon - Posted June 20 2017 - 3:56 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA
Tetramorium don't seem to have started their flights here, despite warm temperatures and lots of rain. I had a look at a colony under a rock today and there was lots of queen pupae, but alas, no eclosed alates.
  • ctantkeeper and Nathant2131 like this

#476 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 20 2017 - 4:27 PM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

Tetramorium don't seem to have started their flights here, despite warm temperatures and lots of rain. I had a look at a colony under a rock today and there was lots of queen pupae, but alas, no eclosed alates.

Both queens and males have eclosed in some parts of CT. Hopefully you should expect them in Mass. soon.

#477 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 21 2017 - 5:34 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

@ctantkeeper Thanks for the report!  This reminds me a bit of last year as you can follow the reports from other threads as they are slowly moving up towards the Northeast.

My first Lasius sp eclosed!  ~26 days when they first entered the pupae stage.  Not 100% sure yet what they are, but the first worker is a very light brown, so curious what she finally colors as.

My office is using around 68-75F, and realized I need to build sort of a deflector for my ant cabinet, as it's againts the A/C vent, and since there's holes in the back for cables, the cold air can rush in there.  I noticed when I opened it up and felt the cold air come out... oops.

• Nathant2131 likes this

#478 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted June 21 2017 - 10:02 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
My Lasius workers are very, very dark, but it might be my dim-ish room.

Was outside for a bit this morning and all I found was a C. pennsylvanicus dealate wandering.

Edited by Nathant2131, June 21 2017 - 10:02 AM.

• noebl1 likes this

#479 Offline ctantkeeper - Posted June 21 2017 - 11:09 AM

ctantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  • LocationCT

@ctantkeeper Thanks for the report!  This reminds me a bit of last year as you can follow the reports from other threads as they are slowly moving up towards the Northeast.

My first Lasius sp eclosed!  ~26 days when they first entered the pupae stage.  Not 100% sure yet what they are, but the first worker is a very light brown, so curious what she finally colors as.

My office is using around 68-75F, and realized I need to build sort of a deflector for my ant cabinet, as it's againts the A/C vent, and since there's holes in the back for cables, the cold air can rush in there.  I noticed when I opened it up and felt the cold air come out.

Thanks, I've noticed the exact same trend in the past. My dad found what he believes to be 20-25 Tetramorium sp.e alates perched on his windowsill (He was going to make an effort to put them aside for me, but his roommate said that they were disgusting and sprayed them all with a can of raid. Even after explaining to her that nuptial flights such as these can be quite hard to come across and that I could make good use of them, she began to spray them. I am beyond pissed at her right now.). I found several dead Tetramorium sp.e queens (winged) and males in my local pool as well as a single Tetramorium atralatum queen (winged). I search around town for several hours and found nothing besides a single Tetramorium male (found dead).

Edited by ctantkeeper, June 21 2017 - 11:10 AM.

#480 Offline noebl1 - Posted June 21 2017 - 11:24 AM

noebl1

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,133 posts

@Nathant2131  She's still pretty light as less than a day old, but she looks brown.  Almost impossible to get a good pic of her as she's very tiny, and in one of the plastic test tubes before I switched to glass.  It's also pretty hazy where she is currently.   Just noticed the queen has been very busy laying based on the pic too.

qARZ9To.jpg

K7tI914.jpg

EDIT:  Fix terrible run on sentence.

Edited by noebl1, June 21 2017 - 11:34 AM.

• Nathant2131 and rdurham02 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: massachusetts, new england, new england nuptial flights, massachusetts nuptial flights, massachusetts ants, massachusetts thread, new england ants, new hampshire, new hampshire ants, new hampshire nuptial flights, conneticut ants, connecticut nuptial flights, ma, ct, ri, nh, me, vt, maine, maine ants

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)