• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Pogonomyrmex badius (Again)

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 Offline VoidElecent - Posted October 29 2017 - 8:59 AM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

First one was 10 wide x 12 tall, 3/8 thick, kept them there until they hit about 700 population wise.

Second was 36 inches tall, 12 inches wide, 3/8 inches thick. They stayed in this one until they hit about 3k

Third one was just a modification of the second, I increased the space between the glass panes to 1 inch, doubled the amount of space they had to dig in. They've done well so far, will probably need another expansion next year that will involve a taller nest

How do you handle hydration?

#42 Offline Scrixx - Posted October 29 2017 - 9:26 AM

Scrixx

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationSan Bernardino County, CA.

This is awesome! Thank you so much for this journal. How were you able to separate the colony from the nest? In your pictures there's an empty nest and a bucket full of ants.

• VoidElecent likes this

ScrixxAnts Queen Adoption

YouTube: View my ants

Keeping: Camponotus sansabeanus - C. vicinus - Formica francoeuri - Liometopum occidentale -  Pogonomyrmex californicus - P. rugosus - P. subnitidus - Solenopsis molesta - S. xyloni - Tapinoma sessile - Temnothorax sp.

Journals: Camponotus sansabeanus & C. vicinus | Pogonomyrmex californicus & P. rugosus | Solenopsis molesta & S. xyloni

Discontinued: Pogonomyrmex subnitidus

#43 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 29 2017 - 9:46 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Thanks guys.
For hydration there are two hydrostone pillars on either side of the nest, they stick out the bottom into two water reservoirs. By filling the reservoirs I can hydrate the bottom half of the nest.

To hydrate the top half I use a regular squirt bottle, put in about 2oz every third day.

As far as separating the ants from the nest, I had to do it the hard way, by hand lol. Took about two hours and got stung four or five times

#44 Offline MegaMyrmex - Posted October 30 2017 - 2:22 AM

MegaMyrmex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, Maryland
Wow i didn't know they were polymorphic I thought they only had majors and medias...cool ants nonethrless!

Proverbs 6:6-8 New International Version (NIV)

Go to the ant, you sluggard;
    consider its ways and be wise!
It has no commander,
    no overseer or ruler,
yet it stores its provisions in summer
    and gathers its food at harvest.

#45 Offline Runner12 - Posted October 30 2017 - 9:24 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Yeah their worker castes fall along a pretty broad spectrum between huge major and small worker. Some of the majors being produced now are larger than the queen

#46 Offline T.C. - Posted October 30 2017 - 9:28 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,059 posts

First one was 10 wide x 12 tall, 3/8 thick, kept them there until they hit about 700 population wise.

Second was 36 inches tall, 12 inches wide, 3/8 inches thick. They stayed in this one until they hit about 3k

Third one was just a modification of the second, I increased the space between the glass panes to 1 inch, doubled the amount of space they had to dig in. They've done well so far, will probably need another expansion next year that will involve a taller nest

Yeah, I seen it's size compared with the door. That's a large nest.

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#47 Offline dominatus - Posted June 22 2019 - 8:42 PM

dominatus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Hey, necro time. You still around Runner12? I have some Pogonomyrmex badius queens and am determined to replicate your past success. Wanted to say hi and see if your colony continued to do well after you stopped posting!

#48 Offline Runner12 - Posted May 19 2021 - 10:21 AM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Thread resurrection here, but yeah, this colony is still doing well. They produce queens every year that the workers kill every fall which is kind of depressing, but still going fairly strong, pushing 5 or 6 years old now.

The best way I've found to hydrate this type of nest is actually with an IV bag filled with distilled water and administered with a hypodermic needle at a slow drip directly into the sand.
  • TennesseeAnts, Ferox_Formicae, Fatatoille and 1 other like this

#49 Offline 123LordOfAnts123 - Posted May 19 2021 - 11:00 AM

123LordOfAnts123

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Florida

Thread resurrection here, but yeah, this colony is still doing well. They produce queens every year that the workers kill every fall which is kind of depressing, but still going fairly strong, pushing 5 or 6 years old now.
The best way I've found to hydrate this type of nest is actually with an IV bag filled with distilled water and administered with a hypodermic needle at a slow drip directly into the sand.

Nice to hear they’re still going! That’s a great idea with the IV bag, I was wondering how viable the hydrostone towers would be especially long-term. How many workers would you say they’ve averaged out at? More pictures would be greatly appreciated!

#50 Offline Ferox_Formicae - Posted May 19 2021 - 11:05 AM

Ferox_Formicae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,443 posts
  • LocationProsperity, South Carolina

I may try my hand at this species when flights start. I know of a few populations about an hour and a half away, I've just got to find a location where I don't need a permit to collect, as the two localities I've seen them are Audubon's Silver Bluff Sanctuary and the Congaree Bluffs Heritage Preserve, which both require permits to collect. That or I just need to get a permit already, which I will have to do at some point anyways if I want to get anywhere with my ants of South Carolina study.

• TennesseeAnts likes this

Currently Keeping:

Camponotus chromaiodes, Camponotus nearcticus, Stigmatomma pallipesStrumigenys brevisetosaStrumigenys clypeataStrumigenys louisianaeStrumigenys membraniferaStrumigenys reflexaStrumigenys rostrata

All Strumigenys Journal

Shop

YouTube

Twitter

#51 Offline UtahAnts - Posted December 22 2022 - 9:52 PM

UtahAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  • LocationUtah Valley

Update?

• Ant-nig321 likes this

Leave the Road, take the Trails - Pythagoras

Utah Ant Keeping --- Here

DIY Formicariums and Outworlds --- Here

Honeypot Ant Journal --- Here

Photo Album --- Here

Videos --- Here

#52 Offline benxixi - Posted December 23 2022 - 11:42 AM

benxixi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationAlhambra, California

where do you have the fly ? catch wild?

Ants ,formicary, and ants supply product for selling .

Discord : benxixi#0053 , ins :benxixi_ (ants, product, nest pictures)

Pogonomyrmex californicus  1

#53 Offline Runner12 - Posted December 27 2022 - 12:45 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Weird that I suddenly decide to come by and this thread has replies lol

So this colony is still around, but I got distracted and let them get too dry during the process of buying a house and moving, and the population took a big hit. Still probably at least 750 to 1000 ants though. I broke down and rebuilt this nest and at that time, approximately 3 months ago, the queen was still alive, but they've gone into "hibernation" so not much activity right now.

Will just have to see if there are new eggs showing up around early April as that's when they usually start laying again.

To the above poster, this colony was started from a queen caught after her flight.
  • UtahAnts likes this

#54 Offline Runner12 - Posted January 31 2023 - 5:01 PM

Runner12

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 222 posts
Here's a few pictures just as proof of life lol. The queen showed up yesterday and there's a good number of new eggs and larvae so looks like they're on their way to bouncing back. This colony will be seven years old this coming June.

ecyXamhrYOai.jpg?o=1

BIARanaIebqO.jpg?o=1

YPviy9sz8PIH.jpg?o=1

2UIvtVERa8r4.jpg?o=1

PrFVIkkpFte7.jpg?o=1

PXMLyy1RoRVG.jpg?o=1

Edited by Runner12, January 31 2023 - 5:21 PM.

• Aaron567, ANTdrew and OiledOlives like this

#55 Offline ANTdrew - Posted January 31 2023 - 6:09 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,409 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
That’s incredible. Keep them going!
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#56 Offline Lamarr - Posted June 30 2023 - 5:47 PM

Lamarr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationBirmingham, Alabama

Amazing setup! Please do update us on their recovery!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users