• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Gs5248's Dual Queen Tetramorium immigrans Colony

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Offline gs5248 - Posted June 29 2023 - 3:53 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts
  • LocationSacramento California

I caught a lot of Tetramorium Queens today. Unfortunately, since I was at school, I only had 3 test tubes, meaning some test tubes had to have two or more queens. I have separated most of them, but one of test tubes already has eggs in it! So I am deciding to start a journal documenting this dual queen colony. We'll see how it goes! I'll upload pictures later.

#2 Offline Yourbasicantkeeper - Posted June 29 2023 - 4:11 PM

Yourbasicantkeeper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationSan Carlos, California

I can't wait!  :D

"I am here on Earth, and I am only a speck of sand in the desert, a blade of grass in a field. I am no greater than any one of these busy ants who build for each other's comfort. " - King Solomon

Currently keeping: Myrmecocystus Depilis, Pogonomyrmex Rugosus

Wishlist: Camponotus Ocreatus

#3 Offline Skwiggledork - Posted June 29 2023 - 5:16 PM

Skwiggledork

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUlster county, NY

Good luck. I've got 3 test tubes set up with 2-4 queens each with pupa right now. Planning on letting 2 of them just play out and the third I'll split once there's workers to make sure I get at least 1 surviving colony. I hear they will kill down to 1 queen, but it's not unheard of to end up killing all the queens by mistake.

#4 Offline gs5248 - Posted June 29 2023 - 5:48 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

Good luck. I've got 3 test tubes set up with 2-4 queens each with pupa right now. Planning on letting 2 of them just play out and the third I'll split once there's workers to make sure I get at least 1 surviving colony. I hear they will kill down to 1 queen, but it's not unheard of to end up killing all the queens by mistake.

I wonder though, what if the queens were originally from the same colony, making them sisters?

Edited by gs5248, June 29 2023 - 5:49 PM.

#5 Offline gs5248 - Posted June 29 2023 - 5:56 PM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

AJFCJaVA-GXe3B2uFD95IWTK7PO5U9ZncoE8Yi8N

AJFCJaUZFiR4M9dTZonZ38ZHBnMXlcRbPQZeCX-k

Here they are! One of them had their wings on before the second one was put in but removed one of them later.

Edited by gs5248, June 29 2023 - 7:17 PM.

#6 Offline Manitobant - Posted June 30 2023 - 5:52 AM

Manitobant

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationWinnipeg, Canada
Yeah unfortunately I doubt this arrangement will last long as immigrans found through pleometrosis, meaning once the workers arrive one of the queens will be killed off. However doing this in captivity can actually be beneficial as it allows you to get a much larger first generation and thus the colony will grow much faster.
  • Ants_Dakota likes this

#7 Offline Ants_Dakota - Posted June 30 2023 - 6:34 AM

Ants_Dakota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,059 posts
  • LocationSioux Falls, South Dakota

Yeah unfortunately I doubt this arrangement will last long as immigrans found through pleometrosis, meaning once the workers arrive one of the queens will be killed off. However doing this in captivity can actually be beneficial as it allows you to get a much larger first generation and thus the colony will grow much faster.

Agreed. Both me and AntsDakota have experimented with this, and yup, immigrans will found with only one queen(thank goodness for the native ants). 

Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise! It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest. -Proverbs 6: 6-8

My South Dakotan Shop Here

Attention Ant-Keepers in South Dakota! Join the SoDak(Society Of Dakotan Ant Keepers)

#8 Offline gs5248 - Posted June 30 2023 - 7:16 AM

gs5248

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 473 posts

I hope I will actually get to see it if it does happen. Hopefully the queen that still has the one wing is actually fertile as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users