• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Craven's APHIS transport permit journal (wall of text) *Final Update 4/3/2017*

aphis queen transport queen interstate process journal

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 16 2016 - 11:44 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

So today I applied for an APHIS permit to transport pests species across state lines. T.C. (thanks) motivated me to give this process a try, so I figured I would document the process.

First thing first, you need to apply for an eAuth from the USDA. Luckily I am an employee of the USDA so I was able to use my existing eAuth. Using the credential you get through this process, you will be able to login to the ePermit website within Aphis.

There are numerous permits available, and several seem redundant. From my reading, it appears the permit that fits the need of interstate transport of insects in PPQ 526. The entire application is pretty straight forward, starting off asking for your personal information, the delving into reasons and species you will be transporting.

The reasoning for my desire to transport these "pests" is where I got a little creative. I declared that it was for an "Other" reason and in the description I described myself as an amateur myrmecologist ( :] ) that was going to keep the ants as a personal hobby.

When declaring the species you will be transporting, the ePermit site provides a huge selection of species from across the taxonomic spectrum to choose from, not just ant species. You can use the drop down menus to narrow down your selection to anthropods and from there you will be able to select whatever you want. Since I do not know what species I will come across, I selected the very general family Formicidae to cover all basis.

After you navigate this page and select everything you want, they ask how you will be transporting your pest. again, keeping ants as a hobby must not be common enough to warrant its own selection, so I chose other and got creative. I described the typical test tube set up and stated this set up would be placed inside a sealed cooler to act as a redundant containment system (fancy).

From here on, it becomes straight forward again. The site asks from where the pests will be collected (I selected the continental US) and where they will end up (my address). When entering the origination info, I decided to include the option for air and express shipment in hopes that I may be able to receive queens from parts of the country I may not visit.

After this pretty easy process, all you do is hit submit and wait an estimated 80 days. We will see if this pays off or if I have to critique it and try again. Lets hope they give reasons if they deny my permit. If you read this wall of text, thanks! I will keep this post updated as news arrives! :playboy:

Edited by CallMeCraven, April 3 2017 - 7:44 AM.

• kellakk and Shareallicu like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#2 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 16 2016 - 12:07 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
For exotic insects (designated plant pests), the United States Department of Agriculture inspects and issues permits to BSL-3 and above facilities on a case-by-case basis, the complete process taking up to 6 months. This requirement is out of reach for all but university/research use.

Beyond that, the lack of specificity (eg. all Formicidae) will absolutely guarantee your application goes nowhere.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#3 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 16 2016 - 12:12 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

For exotic insects (designated plant pests), the United States Department of Agriculture inspects and issues permits to BSL-3 and above facilities on a case-by-case basis, the complete process taking up to 6 months. This requirement is out of reach for all but university/research use.

Beyond that, the lack of specificity (eg. all Formicidae) will absolutely guarantee your application goes nowhere.

I am not trying for exotic species, just domestic species. The permit for interstate travel is the PPQ 526 form and current wait time listed on the APHIS sites is the 80 days. As the species are domestic, or naturalized, there is no permit required for keeping them as a hobbyist, as far as I know.  If i decide to try for exotic species I will keep you comment in mind :D. I do have a have an email out to the state entomologist with my agency for some guidance.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#4 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 16 2016 - 12:34 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

*UPDATED* Made changes to my application. Some of the grammar is compromised due to character restraints.

Here is what my application looks like in case anyone is interested

GsVYYF6.jpg

DuFl75q.jpg

Edited by CallMeCraven, November 18 2016 - 8:59 AM.

• Shareallicu and T.C. like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#5 Offline FSTP - Posted November 18 2016 - 12:54 AM

FSTP

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,032 posts
  • Location36.7378° N, 119.7871° W

Can't wait to see how this turns out... I'll be following this thread for sure. Thanks for posting. I've gone through similar process importing exotic/rare plants from over seas in the past.  I think the 80 days is a bit optimistic...

Edited by FSTP, November 18 2016 - 12:55 AM.

#6 Offline dspdrew - Posted November 18 2016 - 2:01 AM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

What domestic species are you going through all this trouble to get?

#7 Offline drtrmiller - Posted November 18 2016 - 2:05 AM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Final disposition is how you plan to dispose of or destroy the organism when you're finished with it, and the escape prevention section preceding it relates to on-site containment.

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#8 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted November 18 2016 - 8:36 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

What domestic species are you going through all this trouble to get?

Its more in case i find any species in my travels out of my state. My job takes me to ID, OR, UT, and CA and since I am outdoors collecting vegetation data, I stand a decent chance of finding queens. I am going through all this 1.) as an experiment to see if they will issue a permit to a hobbyist and 2.) in the even I do find a queen or two while out of state, I don't get in trouble with the department I work for :D.

Final disposition is how you plan to dispose of or destroy the organism when you're finished with it, and the escape prevention section preceding it relates to on-site containment.

I thought it was something like this :(. I listed it the way I did because I can not foresee any plans of destroying any queens I acquire. I will go back to try to edit this application to include a plan for final disposition. Thanks for the advice!

*I update the pics above to show my edited application*

Edited by CallMeCraven, November 18 2016 - 9:00 AM.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#9 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 8 2016 - 3:59 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I received an email today that my permit request has moved on to the next round of processing and requires me to answer a survey about my facilities and methods. Here is a pic of of the survey for those interested:

osGLHUg.png

5NrXob5.png

These may take me a little bit longer to answer than the initial application.

• Shareallicu likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#10 Offline T.C. - Posted December 8 2016 - 5:59 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Yeah, you got some work there to do. Get on it! :D

“If I am killed for simply living, let death be kinder than man.” -Althea Davis

#11 Offline Saftron - Posted December 8 2016 - 6:07 PM

Saftron

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
  • LocationFremont, California

Very interesting, awesome experiment you are doing definitely following!

#12 Offline Loops117 - Posted December 9 2016 - 6:27 AM

Loops117

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  • LocationSouth Lyon, Michigan

Oh man. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

#13 Offline T.C. - Posted December 9 2016 - 6:50 AM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Oh man. I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Me too, if it turns out good for him, i am going to do the same. If I don't get this permit, how else can I keep my dream species? :(

• Shareallicu likes this

#14 Offline gcsnelling - Posted December 10 2016 - 7:59 AM

gcsnelling

Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,654 posts

I must admit this is an interesting experiment, but I truly hope it does get shot down.

Edited by gcsnelling, December 10 2016 - 7:59 AM.

• Batspiderfish likes this

#15 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 12 2016 - 5:07 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I must admit this is an interesting experiment, but I truly hope it does get shot down.

I truly do expect it to. The only reason I am doing this is because my ecological site work for the USDA takes me to Southern Idaho and Oregon on a regular basis. In all likely hood they species available there are the same as my local area, but I would rather play it safe if I ever do collect queens from there and not [censored] off my employer :D. Also my USDA credentials that use every day eliminates much of the hassle to attempt this. If it does get through and they do issue me permit, it most likely will sit unused. I will not collect species such as RIFA or argentine ants, and I am not sure those have even made it to my area yet. This is just a try and see type situation :D.

Edited by CallMeCraven, December 12 2016 - 5:48 PM.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#16 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 12 2016 - 5:09 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

*Update 12/12/16*

I have just about finished up the survey that they sent me. I really did not anticipate the lengthy standard operating procedures document, but I pounded it out to the best of my ability :D. This is probably going to make someone's day at APHIS. I know they will love my microsoft paint floorplan of my apartment :lol: .

Edited by CallMeCraven, December 12 2016 - 5:09 PM.

• drtrmiller, Shareallicu and SamKeepsAnts like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#17 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted December 19 2016 - 4:39 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

I sent in the the survey today with all appropriate pictures/files and discussions. I made a point to make it abundantly clear that I am an amateur with no intentions of using the permit for professional reasons. I would post screenshots like I had done with the previous steps, but I didn't want to take the time to censor out all of my personal information. If, by some miracle/pity, my application is successful, I will be happy to provide advice for anyone else who may want to undertake this. I will be sure to continue posting here when I get news of my probable decline, and I will also be sure to post any comments they give me. Based on the semi-ridiculous nature of asking for an APHIS permit for my personal ant keeping agenda, I am sure any comments they provide will be noteworthy and amusing :lol:.

• Shareallicu likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#18 Offline T.C. - Posted December 19 2016 - 5:36 PM

T.C.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,062 posts

Like Craven said, it probably will get shot down. While I can understand you worrying about someone getting this permit and abusing there privilege. I certainly think a person that is responsible and knows how it all works, should be just fine with this permit. Are you talking about it getting in the wrong hands?

#19 Offline Miles - Posted February 9 2017 - 12:38 PM

Miles

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • LocationFlorida & Arizona

Has this progressed at all?

PhD Student & NSF Graduate Research Fellow | University of Florida Dept. of Entomology & Nematology - Lucky Ant Lab 

Founder & Director of The Ant Network. Ant keeper since 2009. Insect ecologist and science communicator. He/Him.

#20 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted February 9 2017 - 1:33 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

No word yet unfortunately. I check APHIS last week and it is still pending.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphis, queen transport, queen, interstate, process, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users