• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Craven's APHIS transport permit journal (wall of text) *Final Update 4/3/2017*

aphis queen transport queen interstate process journal

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 Offline drtrmiller - Posted February 9 2017 - 1:55 PM

drtrmiller

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
Have you considered contacting the White House for help?

If the President can sign an executive order that allows coal companies to dump waste in public rivers in the name of reforming "burdensome regulations," surely he'd be sympathetic to destroying entire ecosystems by keeping the government out of the business of regulating your antkeeping, don't you think?

Edited by drtrmiller, February 9 2017 - 1:59 PM.

• Salmon and Loops117 like this

byFormica® is the manufacturer of the iconic nectar feeders and Sunburst Ant Nectar.
byFormica ant products always deliver consistent performance, convenience,
and reliability, making them among the most beloved ant foods and kit enjoyed by
ant keeping enthusiasts worldwide. For more information, visit www.byFormica.com.

#22 Offline Martialis - Posted February 9 2017 - 2:37 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

If the President can sign an executive order that allows coal companies to dump waste in public rivers in the name of reforming "burdensome regulations," surely he'd be sympathetic to destroying entire ecosystems by keeping the government out of the business of regulating your antkeeping, don't you think?

Obama signed many things through executive orders that were considered objectionable. Did you complain then? No. Why now? The election was held fairly. 

In addition, many countries in Europe have big governments and lax environmental laws; rendering that theory useless.

Edited by Martialis, February 9 2017 - 2:52 PM.

• Shareallicu likes this
Spoiler

#23 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 9 2017 - 8:54 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Please no...

• AnthonyP163 and Arrowscotch like this

YJK

#24 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted March 4 2017 - 7:34 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

LOL. We are dealing with his transition team right now so maybe they won't notice if I slip some extra paperwork into our files :D.

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#25 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 1 2017 - 1:04 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

*Update*

I received an email from APHIS notifying me that there has been a status change in my application. As I was off yesterday, and since I leave my access card at work, I will not be able to check until Monday. I am just posting this so the people who are watching this thread can build some anticipation for my imminent denial :D.

• Martialis and Shareallicu like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left.

-Aldo Leopold

#26 Offline Shareallicu - Posted April 2 2017 - 5:22 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

thanks, very helpful!!  I didn't know I could get a permit for a broad range of ant (Formica).  I was told I had to be specific.  How much did it cost?

#27 Offline Shareallicu - Posted April 2 2017 - 5:24 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

*Update*

I received an email from APHIS notifying me that there has been a status change in my application. As I was off yesterday, and since I leave my access card at work, I will not be able to check until Monday. I am just posting this so the people who are watching this thread can build some anticipation for my imminent denial :D.

Why do you think you will be denied?

#28 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 3 2017 - 7:16 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

*Update*

Why do you think you will be denied?

Permits are generally not issued for personal use. They are meant for labs, museums, universities, and other places that have the means to contain pests and handle any possible breaches of the containment.

• Martialis and Shareallicu like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#29 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 3 2017 - 7:40 AM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

*Final Update*

I was not denied, however over the course of time, my opinions changed and I was not even interested in obtaining a permit, but I was just interested in the possibility of a nobody hobbiest like myself getting a permit to transport ants. This whole process turned into an educational experience for myself that I hoped to share with everyone here. The message I received was from an employee of APHIS who had additional concerns about the permit and offered some further insight into what it means to be a permit holder. I will paste parts of the message into the body below:

"It is quite rare that our group would permit an entire family of insects. Many Formicidae can be quite invasive, environmentally or economically destructive or cause serious property damage. Do you have any particular species in mind as that might aid you in receiving approval? As a general rule, possessing insects from within your own state does not require permits, Bringing insects across state lines usually will require a permit."

Someone get Dr. Miller some internet points, because his earlier post nailed that being vague generally will not get you a permit. The employee echoed the best advice (in my opinion) that this forum gives in sentence two of the quote.

"Please be advised that if permits were to be granted, you would be potentially subject to an initial inspection of the containment facility followed by unannounced inspections or periodic compliance inspections for regulated organisms. As a result, I would encourage you to consider native species for your studies."

This is the part of the message that made me decide I had gone far enough (although inspections, or the possibility there of, where expected). I believe my goal of learning about the APHIS permiting process, as well as sharing with everyone here who is interested, has been achieved. I messaged the employee who wrote me this message on our internal skype system and thanked him for taking the time to review the application and that I will not be perusing the permit any farther.

My advice from this process for anyone who is interested in attempting it themselves, be prepared to invest a lot of time and money into this hobby. I bypassed a big step of getting an eAuthentication by using my USDA credentials. APHIS will expect you to have facilities up to par with museums, labs, and other institutions that can contain pests, as they should. If you have these facilities, be ready for inspection from the USDA. I realized that this was an intensive process, as we do it for work to ship dirt to our national soils lab in Nebraska, and I hope this post helps anyone interested in this realize just this. 

Catch local, keep local.

Edited by CallMeCraven, April 3 2017 - 7:43 AM.

• drtrmiller, sgheaton, Martialis and 1 other like this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#30 Offline SoySauce - Posted April 3 2017 - 8:04 AM

SoySauce

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 300 posts
  • LocationSanta Monica, CA
Thank you for documenting this entire process. I'm sure everyone who has read it benefited.
  • Shareallicu and T.C. like this

#31 Offline sgheaton - Posted April 3 2017 - 8:12 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Agreed, thank you for taking all of the time to go through this process. It was very interesting to say the least. 

Good point about the "lab inspection". Didn't even think about that but of course you'd have "ISO Audit-like meetings" all the dang time.  

Again, thanks for pursuing this for others. 

• T.C. likes this

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#32 Offline Shareallicu - Posted April 3 2017 - 7:01 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

*Final Update*

I was not denied, however over the course of time, my opinions changed and I was not even interested in obtaining a permit, but I was just interested in the possibility of a nobody hobbiest like myself getting a permit to transport ants. This whole process turned into an educational experience for myself that I hoped to share with everyone here. The message I received was from an employee of APHIS who had additional concerns about the permit and offered some further insight into what it means to be a permit holder. I will paste parts of the message into the body below:

"It is quite rare that our group would permit an entire family of insects. Many Formicidae can be quite invasive, environmentally or economically destructive or cause serious property damage. Do you have any particular species in mind as that might aid you in receiving approval? As a general rule, possessing insects from within your own state does not require permits, Bringing insects across state lines usually will require a permit."

Someone get Dr. Miller some internet points, because his earlier post nailed that being vague generally will not get you a permit. The employee echoed the best advice (in my opinion) that this forum gives in sentence two of the quote.

"Please be advised that if permits were to be granted, you would be potentially subject to an initial inspection of the containment facility followed by unannounced inspections or periodic compliance inspections for regulated organisms. As a result, I would encourage you to consider native species for your studies."

This is the part of the message that made me decide I had gone far enough (although inspections, or the possibility there of, where expected). I believe my goal of learning about the APHIS permiting process, as well as sharing with everyone here who is interested, has been achieved. I messaged the employee who wrote me this message on our internal skype system and thanked him for taking the time to review the application and that I will not be perusing the permit any farther.

My advice from this process for anyone who is interested in attempting it themselves, be prepared to invest a lot of time and money into this hobby. I bypassed a big step of getting an eAuthentication by using my USDA credentials. APHIS will expect you to have facilities up to par with museums, labs, and other institutions that can contain pests, as they should. If you have these facilities, be ready for inspection from the USDA. I realized that this was an intensive process, as we do it for work to ship dirt to our national soils lab in Nebraska, and I hope this post helps anyone interested in this realize just this. 

I knew you had to be very specific about the type of ant you wanted the permit for.  They told me that too!

#33 Offline thosaka - Posted April 3 2017 - 7:59 PM

thosaka

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
I find it amusing they treat insects like nuclear weapons.

#34 Offline CallMeCraven - Posted April 3 2017 - 8:06 PM

CallMeCraven

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationElko, NV

The have the power to devastate crops and ecosystems. There is a good reason they are regulated, although i do agree that the ways they go about it seems un-enforceable at certain scales.

• thosaka likes this

Current Colony:

4x Camponotus (hyatti?)

-Aldo Leopold

#35 Offline yen_saw - Posted April 4 2017 - 8:32 AM

yen_saw

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • LocationHouston

I volunteer in the Houston Museum of Natural Science insect zoo department and familiar with the process. It's not impossible to apply for a permit. The key is to state your reason clearly (even if it is for hobby), details of the (non-native) species, and your quarantine room condition, which is the location where you keep your insect. Most of us will be struggling to provide a bug room with double barrier at any entry/exit point, which will be inspected prior to permit approval. If you meet the requirement, a permit tape will be provided to you, which you can send to the shipper and label it on the package containing the specimen you requested.

#36 Offline Nathant2131 - Posted April 4 2017 - 9:57 AM

Nathant2131

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts
  • LocationDracut, Massachusetts

They do have the power of a nuclear weapon when you think about it. Just look at the plant destructing capabilities of Aphids.

#37 Offline Serafine - Posted April 4 2017 - 2:40 PM

Serafine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,782 posts
  • LocationGermany

Certain species can have similar effects to native wildlife - just look at Christmas Island where Anoplolepis gracilipes (the yellow crazy ant) is nuking an entire ecosystem, including the magnificent red crabs the island is famous for.

• gcsnelling and Nathant2131 like this

We should respect all forms of consciousness. The body is just a vessel, a mere hull.

Welcome to Lazy Tube - My Camponotus Journal

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aphis, queen transport, queen, interstate, process, journal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users