• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Formica Argentea Colony.

formica argentea formica argentea

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 23 2016 - 8:02 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Randomly found this queen and wasnt going to start a journal for her until she had some brood, well she has 4 eggs right now. Hoping she will be successful as this is the largest species I have now.

20160823 063511

I seem to keep finding species that no one else on the site has raised before.

#2 Offline Canadian anter - Posted August 23 2016 - 9:43 AM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada
I have these!
Well.... similar size and color.
Might be something else

Edited by Canadian anter, August 23 2016 - 9:44 AM.

Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#3 Offline YawningGull - Posted August 26 2016 - 10:55 AM

YawningGull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRenton WA
I'm pretty sure I have a formica argentea queen. There's formica fusca nests (F. argentea I think) all around my house and I love them :D. Cuz they're so big and fast. But my dad wants to spray pesticides and kill them ;(

Edited by YawningGull, August 26 2016 - 11:01 AM.

#4 Offline XZero38 - Posted August 26 2016 - 12:11 PM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

I'm pretty sure I have a formica argentea queen. There's formica fusca nests (F. argentea I think) all around my house and I love them :D. Cuz they're so big and fast. But my dad wants to spray pesticides and kill them ;(

Gotta get yourself a queen before that happens!

#5 Offline YawningGull - Posted August 26 2016 - 1:42 PM

YawningGull

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
  • LocationRenton WA

Gotta get yourself a queen before that happens!

Yeah I'm gonna brood boost my current queens and try and capture as many colonies as I can before he sprays.
He wants to spray around the house, like in cracks. Will this kill a colony that's like 2-3 meters from where he wants to spray?

#6 Offline sgheaton - Posted August 29 2016 - 5:03 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

What's your plan for this species? Buy somethin' or you makin'?

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#7 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 8 2016 - 6:24 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

How's your colony doing?  I found a Formica Argentea too!  She hasn't laid eggs yet.  I gave her dirt and sugar water, but she hasn't started.  I don't know why :(

#8 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 8 2016 - 6:52 PM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

Exterminating a Formica species is so dumb. Just trading one "pest" for all the others which Formica hunt.

• LC3 likes this

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#9 Offline Canadian anter - Posted September 8 2016 - 8:13 PM

Canadian anter

Vendor

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,541 posts
  • LocationToronto,Canada

Exterminating a Formica species is so dumb. Just trading one "pest" for all the others which Formica hunt.

especially predatory formic like aserva.A least it's not one of those
Visit us at www.canada-ant-colony.com !

#10 Offline Salmon - Posted September 9 2016 - 2:28 PM

Salmon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  • LocationMass, USA

How's your colony doing?  I found a Formica Argentea too!  She hasn't laid eggs yet.  I gave her dirt and sugar water, but she hasn't started.  I don't know why :(

I found one and put her in a normal test tube and she started laying within a couple days.

#11 Offline Shareallicu - Posted September 9 2016 - 2:32 PM

Shareallicu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 202 posts

I found one and put her in a normal test tube and she started laying within a couple days.

Nice, I witnessed her laying an egg last night!!  Very excited!  My first egg.... I mean, her first egg... :yahoo:

#12 Offline XZero38 - Posted September 12 2016 - 5:28 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Quick update, I checked in on her over the weekend and she only has one pupae and no other brood at the moment

#13 Offline Batspiderfish - Posted September 12 2016 - 8:42 AM

Batspiderfish

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,614 posts

My Formica neogagates is kinda doing the same thing. I'm afraid of checking on her or taking photographs and causing her to realize how late in the year it is to have a pupa. Yum, yum.

If you've enjoyed using my expertise and identifications, please do not create undue ecological risk by releasing your ants. The environment which we keep our pet insects is alien and oftentimes unsanitary, so ensure that wild populations stay safe by giving your ants the best care you can manage for the rest of their lives, as we must do with any other pet.

Exotic ants are for those who think that vibrant diversity is something you need to pay money to see. It is illegal to transport live ants across state lines.

----

Black lives still matter.

#14 Offline XZero38 - Posted September 29 2016 - 5:26 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

So after not checking on her for a couple weeks i decided to check on her the other day. She now has one worker and another pupae.

Yesterday i decided to give her and the worker a cricket leg and when i went to give her the leg she had eaten her other pupae, the casing was discarded and flat on the other side of the test tube.

I'm hoping that she will get at least one more worker before going into hibernation for the winter.

Ill post pictures later today when i get home, I plan on updating all of my journals

Edited by XZero38, September 29 2016 - 5:26 AM.

#15 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 29 2016 - 6:14 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Ill post pictures later today when i get home, I plan on updating all of my journals

And you better believe I'm going to hold you to it!

"I'm the search bar! Type questions into me and I'll search within the forums for an answer!"

#16 Offline XZero38 - Posted September 30 2016 - 8:40 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Completely forgot to take pictures of her when i got home, nothing to exciting at this point though just the queen and one worker.

Ill try to remember to do it when i get home today after work.

#17 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 30 2016 - 8:54 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

AND YOU BETTER POST THEM CORRECTLY OR FACE THE WRATH OF STRANGERS NOT WANTING TO CLICK LINKS!!!

Said I would hold you too it. Not sure what that means. I was wanting to see a picture just to see how you're housing her. Still test tube? 

#18 Offline XZero38 - Posted September 30 2016 - 10:03 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

Yeah her and my molesta queen are just chillin in test tubes for now.

#19 Offline sgheaton - Posted September 30 2016 - 10:15 AM

sgheaton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMinnesota

Haha....didn't...even think about the Molesta queen.  

....you gonna leave 'em in there for their hibernation chamber?

#20 Offline XZero38 - Posted September 30 2016 - 11:11 AM

XZero38

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 304 posts
  • LocationHenderson, CO

probably just gonna leave them in the tube for the winter since molestia only has 4 larva and argentea has 1 worker

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: formica, argentea, formica argentea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users