• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Dspdrew's Black Light Trap Research and Design

black light dspdrew trap

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#41 Offline Martialis - Posted February 19 2017 - 1:27 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

Noob Question: May I have a link to the blacklights and fixtures you have bought?

They appear earlier in the thread.

Spoiler

#42 Offline Alabama Anter - Posted February 19 2017 - 1:43 PM

Alabama Anter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationBoulder, Colorado

Ok thanks

YJK

#43 Offline Martialis - Posted February 19 2017 - 2:31 PM

Martialis

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • LocationMississippi

What's a safe way to detach the wires from the high voltage "zapper?"

Edit: This thing looks like a promising ant trap: https://www.amazon.c...ords=bug zapper

Edited by Martialis, February 19 2017 - 2:36 PM.

Spoiler

#44 Offline RhodyAnts - Posted April 8 2017 - 8:52 PM

RhodyAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
How about something like this?
https://www.amazon.c...b_PYB6ybMVQC5K8

Just add bucket and funnel.

#45 Offline Rick54 - Posted May 19 2017 - 11:33 AM

Rick54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRockford, Michigan

Am I assuming correctly that this black light trap is used at night, so that in the morning one can sift through the bucket for the treasures?

#46 Offline Rick54 - Posted May 19 2017 - 11:54 AM

Rick54

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationRockford, Michigan

Now you've got me thinking. I have a pop-up canopy (10 x 10) find em at Sam's Club. Set that up, lay out a white sheet on the ground below it, and hang a 13.5 inch blacklight fluorescent fixture (purchased from Lowe's) with bulb from the inside center of the pop-up. Power it with my Honda 2000 generator and wait for the ants. Question is, how far above the white sheet do you place the light? I believe the pop-ups have three holes in each leg to adjust height. Putting the canopy all the way down probably puts the canopy somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 ft. off the ground. Do you need the light high or low above the white sheet?

Here are some bulbs,  http://shop-uv.black...iew=grid&srt=20

#47 Offline dspdrew - Posted May 19 2017 - 6:00 PM

dspdrew
  • LocationSanta Ana, CA

Now you've got me thinking. I have a pop-up canopy (10 x 10) find em at Sam's Club. Set that up, lay out a white sheet on the ground below it, and hang a 13.5 inch blacklight fluorescent fixture (purchased from Lowe's) with bulb from the inside center of the pop-up. Power it with my Honda 2000 generator and wait for the ants. Question is, how far above the white sheet do you place the light? I believe the pop-ups have three holes in each leg to adjust height. Putting the canopy all the way down probably puts the canopy somewhere in the neighborhood of 4 ft. off the ground. Do you need the light high or low above the white sheet?

Here are some bulbs,  http://shop-uv.black...iew=grid&srt=20

You can do it many different ways. The only important element is the light.

#48 Offline kudofo - Posted June 8 2017 - 10:43 AM

kudofo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

What about this for the UV light. http://www.ebay.com/...5MAAOSwlY1ZGsvW

#49 Offline ace2184 - Posted June 19 2017 - 10:30 AM

ace2184

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts
  • LocationWashington State
Is this something you leave out overnight or check every couple hours? I'd be concerned with something get in their with the queen and killing her. Also bonus points to Drew, quite creative with your fabrication skills.

#50 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted September 9 2017 - 8:37 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

What about this for the UV light. http://www.ebay.com/...5MAAOSwlY1ZGsvW

For that light, it might not do so well with a trap as you might need something brighter or a different shape like just a bulb. You might be able to work with it though, I wouldn't know, as I have never built a black light trap. It would however definitely be good for just hunting for queens at night, no trap. If you want that light though, I suggest getting a different brand. I got a Kobra for half the price, and it's the exact same thing, parts interchangeable and everything, all the same, but one says Kobra and is cheaper. There are lots of cheaper versions of the light. I'm not going to list them all, but if you do some research you can figure it out.

Edit: This was said when I was very new to anting. Flashlights won't do a good job of attracting queen ants, go with a bulb instead.

Edited by AntsCalifornia, April 25 2018 - 4:18 PM.

• ant007 likes this

#51 Offline AntsCalifornia - Posted April 25 2018 - 4:22 PM

AntsCalifornia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

So when you stick a blacklight in the back of a truck on a white sheet, the white sheet reflects the light, attracting more stuff, right? That's what I was told by someone at least. Does this mean that a blacklight trap is less effective at catching than a blacklight on a white sheet?

#52 Offline VoidElecent - Posted April 25 2018 - 5:01 PM

VoidElecent

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts
  • LocationPhiladelphia, PA.

There are alternatives to car batteries as power sources. I just bought this sucker; hopefully, it'll give me some flexibility with regard to hunting locations, so I won't be restricted to only areas with accessible outlets. It's also just a nice device to have around, with four USB ports and an LED flashlight.

Edited by VoidElecent, April 25 2018 - 5:01 PM.

#53 Offline Major - Posted June 25 2018 - 2:33 AM

Major

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • LocationRochester, New York
[Deleted]

Edited by The_NY_Major, June 30 2018 - 12:59 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: black light, dspdrew, trap

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users