• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

CatsnAnts' Queen Ant Trap Attempts

queen ant trap blacklight water

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:07 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts
  • LocationJasper, Indiana
Hey there! I've been brainstorming a bit on some queen ant traps, and decided it would be fun to actually try some of my ideas out. I'll be using this thread to post all of my ideas and tutorials, and as always, feedback is appreciated.

Attempt 1:

"Black-Light + Water-Tray" Trap

BToKnbU.jpg

Materials:

X2 - 54" Dog Crate Trays - https://www.amazon.c...D/dp/B000HCN6RK
X1 - Waterproof Black Light LED Strip - https://www.amazon.c...r/dp/B077VZCR3D
X1 - 12 Volt Power Supply - https://www.amazon.c...23097988&sr=8-5
X1 - 1.5" Diameter PVC Pipe (or something similar)
X2 - Endcaps for the PVC Pipe
X2 - (OPTIONAL) White Flex Seal Spray Cans - https://www.amazon.c...2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
X1 - (OPTIONAL) Battery Pack
And finally, you'll need some water

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

To start off, you will need to collect your materials from the list above. We are going to prepare the black light first.

5CfXfGx.jpg
8KOeG3a.jpg

As you can see, it looks very homemade :whistle: , but the most important part is that it is 100% waterproof, as we don't want to short any circuits or electrocute ourselves if this thing accidentally falls into the water. The LED strip on the material list is a specially made black light strip surrounded by a waterproof barrier, which we can then wrap around the PVC pipe or anything similar to create our very own (and very bright, might I add) black light. The end caps on the PVC tubing are just there to ensure no bugs crawl inside of the black light. In the picture above, you will also notice a 12 Volt power supply to the right to the black light, and is necessary because the led strip comes with wire ends, not a wall outlet plug. I also decided to take some black electrical tape to the open wires in generous amounts to ensure they were waterproof as well. Now that you have the black light, we need something to do the "catching" for us.

That's where the dog crate trays come in. Each tray will sit on either side of the black light, with the light itself resting on where the two edges meet.

AFFwx9d.jpg
5FkVI9W.jpg

The ground wasn't level here, but the water should be evenly spread out among each tray. You can also see the battery pack in a plastic bag sitting behind the trap, and it will be useful for when I take it to different locations. At home, however, a regular wall outlet will work fine.

Next, because black doesn't reflect very much light, I decided to paint the bottoms of the trays white with flex seal.

ysOHpht.jpg
kDSdKr5.jpg

Flex seal is one of the few things I can think of to withstand being underwater, so I went for it. It's not a great paint job, but it will get the job done :D . It will also hopefully help keep these plastic trays intact for longer.

Here is the finished product (without water in it):

iG3MJ6c.jpg
BToKnbU.jpg

I have used twice so far when the trays hadn't been "flex sealed" yet, and the results were quite impressive. Lots of bugs flew into the water, as well as lots of male alates. No queens yet, but hopefully I will catch some when their night flying begins around here in a few weeks.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 7 2021 - 5:29 PM.

• YsTheAnt, ANTdrew and NickAnter like this

Spoiler

#2 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:25 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • LocationSouthern LA County, California

It looks like it would work, except once caught, wouldn't the queen(s) drown? or am I just not understanding correctly?  

Ants are Pets, not Pests. 

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Pogonomyrmex californicus

-Solenopsis spp. 

#3 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:32 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

It looks like it would work, except once caught, wouldn't the queen(s) drown? or am I just not understanding correctly?  

Though that seems most likely what would happen, ants (including queens) can survive in water for quite a while. I'm not sure how long, but it's plenty long enough to make it through one night - as long as you don't add soap to the water to break the surface tension, that is. Pools are a great way to find queens, as they will just kinda "chill" on the surface of the water. Once you pluck them out, set them on something to absorb the water, and they usually start being active within a few minutes.

Edit: It also appears that ants can survive completely underwater for 24 hours, so I guess breaking the surface tension doesn't matter as much as long as the trap is checked within that time frame.

Edited by CatsnAnts, June 7 2021 - 1:36 PM.

Spoiler

#4 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:42 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Though that seems most likely what would happen, ants (including queens) can survive in water for quite a while. I'm not sure how long, but it's plenty long enough to make it through one night - as long as you don't add soap to the water to break the surface tension, that is. Pools are a great way to find queens, as they will just kinda "chill" on the surface of the water. Once you pluck them out, set them on something to absorb the water, and they usually start being active within a few minutes.

Edit: It also appears that ants can survive completely underwater for 24 hours, so I guess breaking the surface tension doesn't matter as much as long as the trap is checked within that time frame.

I should of known. Ants are always surprising us with their unique abilities. 

Edited by PetsNotPests, June 7 2021 - 1:42 PM.

• CatsnAnts likes this

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

#5 Offline NickAnter - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:46 PM

NickAnter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,307 posts
  • LocationOrange County, California

I think it depends on the species. Cardiocondyla queens, for instance, drown very quickly once submerged. Solenopsis truncorum, on the other hand, can survive a long time underwater. Ideally of course, they just don't break the surface tension, and just get blown around on the water.

In regards to the design, I had a similar idea. My idea, however, would be a white sheet with duck tape on the edges. Water would be applied to the duck tape. With the light in the center, queens would be attracted to the sheet, yet, if they so wished, they could fly away. Fertile queens most likely would not fly away, and as such would remain on the sheet, and could not walk off the sheet due to the duck tape with water on it.

• CatsnAnts and BADANT like this

Hi there! I went on a 6 month or so hiatus, in part due, and in part cause of the death of my colonies. 

However, I went back to the Sierras, and restarted my collection, which is now as follows:

Aphaenogaster uinta, Camponotus vicinus, Camponotus modoc, Formica cf. aserva, Formica cf. micropthalma, Formica cf. manni, Formica subpolita, Formica cf. subaenescens, Lasius americanus, Manica invidia, Pogonomyrmex salinus, Pogonomyrmex sp. 1, Solenopsis validiuscula, & Solenopsis sp. 3 (new Sierra variant). 

#6 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 7 2021 - 1:54 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

I think it depends on the species. Cardiocondyla queens, for instance, drown very quickly once submerged. Solenopsis truncorum, on the other hand, can survive a long time underwater. Ideally of course, they just don't break the surface tension, and just get blown around on the water.

In regards to the design, I had a similar idea. My idea, however, would be a white sheet with duck tape on the edges. Water would be applied to the duck tape. With the light in the center, queens would be attracted to the sheet, yet, if they so wished, they could fly away. Fertile queens most likely would not fly away, and as such would remain on the sheet, and could not walk off the sheet due to the duck tape with water on it.

That’s actually really smart! And I’m sure you could cover a larger area with a design like that too. Ah the possibilities!

Spoiler

#7 Offline PetsNotPests - Posted June 7 2021 - 2:06 PM

PetsNotPests

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

That’s actually really smart! And I’m sure you could cover a larger area with a design like that too. Ah the possibilities!

Something else that might work is just a large plastic tub coated with PTFE so whatever lands in it won't climb out. If the queen still has wings, she can fly away at will. Simply place the black light in the tub and check on it every few hours. 

• CatsnAnts and BrandonM like this

-Camponotus sansabeanus

-Camponotus US-CA02

-Camponotus vicinus

-Formica podzolica

-Monomorium spp.

-Solenopsis spp. 

#8 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 7 2021 - 2:26 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Can’t wait to hear what you find C&A!
  • TennesseeAnts and CatsnAnts like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#9 Offline CatsnAnts - Posted June 20 2021 - 4:21 PM

CatsnAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,008 posts

Blacklighting season has officially begun for Southern Indiana! I checked my trap this morning, and was surprised to see 4 Pheidole queens. Normally, around here, ants don't begin flying until the end of June, but it was a nice change c:

I have three of what appear to be P. tysoni, although they are a bit darker in color from the queen I currently have:

IMG 7989
IMG 7991

Also found a fourth Pheidole queen, which I'm pretty sure is P. bicarinata:

IMG 7998

• ANTdrew and Antkeeper01 like this

Spoiler

#10 Offline ANTdrew - Posted June 20 2021 - 4:22 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,400 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
Aghhh. So jealous! No Pheidole for me yet.
  • TennesseeAnts, CatsnAnts and Antkeeper01 like this
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: queen ant, trap, blacklight, water

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users