• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

C.hyatti brood

brood

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Offline GOCAMPONOTUS - Posted February 20 2024 - 9:39 AM

GOCAMPONOTUS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationRocklin,CA

Does anybody have any C.hyatti brood as i need to brood boost mine. PM me if you do

Edited by GOCAMPONOTUS, February 20 2024 - 9:50 AM.

Currently keeping
1.Camponotus vicinus. 5 workers
2.Camponotus modoc. 5 workers
3. Camponotus hyatti. 1 worker
4.Veromessor pergandei. founding
5 Linepithema humile. 70-100 workers 5 queens
6. Pheidole Californica. 65 workers

I want: Atta,Myrmecia,Myrmica,Myrmecocystus

#2 Offline Artisan_Ants - Posted February 20 2024 - 10:44 AM

Artisan_Ants

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • LocationChester County, PA
You could just look for Camponotus brood (no matter the species) which you can find under rocks after some good rain, and some sunshine. You’ll find brood of any ant species under rocks with a plentiful amount of sunshine on them. Get workers with that brood, and put them all in one or more test tube (depends on how much brood you have). Then provide the colony with honey and protein (or whatever you protein sources are). The ants will consume this, and feed it to their brood. Then wait for callows, or young ants to hatch, and remove them from the tube. Put them in your C. hyatti colony, and it will imprint upon the queen, or follow her. This method will take a while and I haven’t done it myself (it’s actually a just method to introduce parasitic Lasius to their hosts, which I thought that I might use later in spring) and It might be kind of hard, and take a long time unless heat is abundant. But you’ll have to for sure, wait until spring to do that. I would just hibernate her, and then worry about it later, since these species, and all other Camponotus species are pretty hardy.

Edited by Artisan_Ants, February 20 2024 - 11:03 AM.

Keeping:

3x - S. molesta 

1x - C. chromaiodes

2x - F. pallidefulva

2x - C. cerasi

1x - B. depilis

2x P. imparis (colonies) 3x P. imparis queens (1x queen in test tube, 3x queens in test tube, and 6x queens in another test tube. Can't wait to see the results!)

Check out my C. chromaiodes journal here: https://www.formicul...aiodes-journal/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: brood

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users