• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

Mites in test tube eating the eggs

mites prenolepis imparis winter ants brood eggs

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 Offline FinWins - Posted September 8 2022 - 5:05 PM

FinWins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  • LocationUnited States

The powder I’ve seen sold for mites is diatomaceous earth. That will kill your ants.

So I was talking about Bug Blade by Josh’s frogs I saw them put it on some fruit flys when transferring them in a video 

I keep: C. modoc, C. sansabeanus  :D, C. maritimus, Formica argentea, M. mexicanus  :D, Odontomachus brunneus :D, Pogonomyrmex californicus, Pogonomyrmex rugosus, 

#22 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 9 2022 - 2:08 AM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA
If you really don’t want grain mites, then boil any freezer insect. Mealworms and fruit flys are probably the worst for spreading the loathsome creatures.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#23 Offline AntBooper600 - Posted September 9 2022 - 7:04 AM

AntBooper600

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

I had a mite infestation in a founding colony that led to a slow decline with a larger than usual number of dead ants. When I realized what the problem was and that there was no readily available predator mites, I put the entire setup in the freezer. The mites are dead. I will have to be more sanitary to make sure they don't spread to my other colonies, especially with feeding dishes.

But that will also kill the ants.

#24 Offline ANTdrew - Posted September 9 2022 - 4:07 PM

ANTdrew

Advanced Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationAlexandria, VA

I had a mite infestation in a founding colony that led to a slow decline with a larger than usual number of dead ants. When I realized what the problem was and that there was no readily available predator mites, I put the entire setup in the freezer. The mites are dead. I will have to be more sanitary to make sure they don't spread to my other colonies, especially with feeding dishes.

But that will also kill the ants.
Yes, obviously.
"The ants are a people not strong, yet they prepare their meat in the summer." Prov. 30:25
Keep ordinary ants in extraordinary ways.

#25 Offline rptraut - Posted September 11 2022 - 10:32 AM

rptraut

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationOntario, Canada

This was a  small founding colony that I believe was infected when I got them.  With the number of mites in the setup I didn't think they were going to survive anyway.  Rather than risk the spread of the mites to my other colonies, I had to sacrifice the one for the good of the many.  Since then I have cleaned and disinfected all my tools, food dishes and preparation area to get rid of any eggs that might be there.  I am also more vigilant about watching for mites, now that I know what to look for and just how tiny and insignificant they look in small numbers.  I haven't boiled any feeder insects yet.

My father always said I had ants in my pants.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mites, prenolepis imparis, winter ants, brood, eggs

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users