• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

JesseTheAntKid's Tetramorium bicarinatum journal

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#41 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 24 2023 - 7:55 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Yuh.
See yall on Christmas for the tetras' feeding.

Attached Images

• 20231224_095351.jpg

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#42 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 24 2023 - 1:49 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
pics?
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#43 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 24 2023 - 3:53 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
You can't see the picture?

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#44 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 24 2023 - 5:08 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
oh wait, i see them now. sorry the pics didn't load lol
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#45 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 24 2023 - 5:11 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
that is way to early too add the queens into a formicarium that big, there are just four queens with eggs. I’m pretty sure that you should wait for them to at least get around 30 workers then move them into that formicarium. Around like every ant keeper would agree with me (maybe even more workers are needed)
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#46 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 25 2023 - 6:37 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Here's the thing: I wanted them to have foraging space as they are semi-claustral. Also, it is feeding time.

#47 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 25 2023 - 8:56 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
If you are going to give them that, I recommend using the little red film blockers that those nest come with to limit the space in the nesting area that the queens have, so just give them a little room in one of the nesting areas and gradually open it over time
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#48 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 25 2023 - 10:24 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Oh, ok. I will do that.

#49 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 25 2023 - 10:26 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
I wondered what those were for!

#50 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 25 2023 - 10:29 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
That should be better.

Attached Images

• 17035289679815978791628751485592.jpg

#51 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 25 2023 - 10:33 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
I put a tiny piece of mango jelly in their outwworld but they have not foraged out yet to find it. Hopefully they will forage and find the mango jelly.

#52 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 25 2023 - 12:12 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
any pics of the setup the queens are in atm? Also, when was the first time that the queens laid their eggs?

Edited by AsdinAnts, December 25 2023 - 12:13 PM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#53 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 25 2023 - 1:24 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
also, do you have like a heatcord/heating mat that you could use to heat them? (don't use it on the nesting thing since that builds up condensation so visibility will be poor)
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#54 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 26 2023 - 9:31 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

any pics of the setup the queens are in atm? Also, when was the first time that the queens laid their eggs?

Not long ago. They do lay, but not much. IDK why. I do see eggs but not that much.

#55 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 26 2023 - 9:36 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

I put a tiny piece of mango jelly in their outwworld but they have not foraged out yet to find it. Hopefully they will forage and find the mango jelly.

They happily...

Rejected it T-T

• AsdinAnts likes this

#56 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 26 2023 - 10:05 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
lol
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#57 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 26 2023 - 12:02 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
usually when colonies, in this case queens, are very small they except little to no jelly. You should try and give them a cricket leg or a drop of sugar water/honey.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#58 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 27 2023 - 1:49 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Introduced a newly caught queen to boost egg production. She met the alate and they instantly acted like they had been friends for life, per usual.

#59 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 28 2023 - 3:31 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
maybe 5 queens for them is enough for now, seeing as they inbreed. When they start inbreeding, then you should add more queens for diversity in their genes.
  • rptraut likes this
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#60 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 28 2023 - 10:43 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

UPDATE 7: Umm. Two queens just died. They were showing no signs of aggression, so it can't be that they killed each other. Plus one died and THEN the other died, so idek. Luckily our queen Tetrana and her now three sisters are still present. I will gather more queens if I can. For now, it will be a gradual winding down of updates. I feel like a little privacy is well deserved.

• 100lols likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users