• Chat
  •  
  •  

Welcome to Formiculture.com!

This is a website for anyone interested in Myrmecology and all aspects of finding, keeping, and studying ants. The site and forum are free to use. Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation points to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Photo

JesseTheAntKid's Tetramorium bicarinatum journal

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 21 2023 - 12:58 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • LocationSanta Clarita, SoCal
Yay!!!

Edited by AsdinAnts, December 21 2023 - 5:26 PM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..
I will want to also keep some lasius in the future.

#22 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 8:17 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Update 2: I decided the single alate didn't need that much space, so I put her in her original test tube. The two queens and now one worker (the other died ) are nicely settled in. One queen goes out and forages, but for some reason, she never finds my dead invicta queen I offered. Hopefully she'll find it.

Edited by JesseTheAntKid, December 22 2023 - 3:13 PM.

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

Previously kept: Monomorium minimum, Pheidole dentata

"ATTAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!" -Me

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#23 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 8:20 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
I will feed the single alate today when time is given. I will feed her a single grain of sugar (Tetra bicar is smallish so a single grain of sugar is not an overwhelming meal but it won't be a minute amount either.)

Currently keeping: Pheidole obscurithorax (FINALLY I CAN STUDY THEM AND HAVE THEIR COOL MAJORS  B)), Tetramorium bicarinatum, Solenopsis spp. (probably xyloni, the queens are tiny hehe)

Wanting: Atta texana, Camponotus planatus (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE CAN SOMEONE HOOK ME UP WITH ATTA)

"AAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" -Even more me

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"- Me personified

#24 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 8:25 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
P.S. My first verified species. The rest are very close matches but I have not researched them extensively. My Tetra bicar are my first verified species, meaning I know for sure they are Tetra bicar.
  • rptraut likes this

#25 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 22 2023 - 8:41 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
How mature was the colony that you took two queens from?
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#26 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 8:46 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Oh they were CRAWLING all over. I was stung several times. I took any and all queens I could get, which was two out of four. I am actually hoping to go back to that rock and gather more queens and workers to aid in founding, plus it'll aid the native ant effort as in less Tetra bicar.

#27 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 22 2023 - 10:08 AM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
if you did take them from that big of a colony then the duo queen and workers have a very little chance to grow. You took them out of a mature nest which could be detrimental to the colony, you should go and get more workers so that they have a better and less stressed about where they are.
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#28 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 10:25 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Mk.

#29 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 10:28 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
UPDATE 3: HOW?!?!?!?!?!? I found ANOTHER Tetra bicar queen. She was just out in the open. I will feed her, as she looked like she was foraging. I am debating putting her with my alate to better the chances of growth. Should I do this?

#30 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 3:28 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

UPDATE 4: Something very interesting happened. I introduced the new queen into the alate's chamber, and as soon as they made contact, they stood tall on their legs, folded their antennae back, and opened their mandibles and put them to each other's face. At first, I thought it was fighting, but then I noticed that neither were opening their mandibles often. They were just kinda standing like that for a while, and then they stopped and they're all buddy-buddy now. Could this be some sort of like acceptance ritual for Tetra bicar? I don't know, but I do not think this has been documented before. Anyway, the queen and the alate are just chillin in their tube. I am wondering if I should introduce the other two queens into their chamber, so they have an even better chance. If there's any fighting, I will separate them immediately, but I think an extra two queens makes up for their losses while I yoinked them. I do know that Tetra bicar is almost strictly polygynous, so I'll see how my experiment goes.

#31 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 3:36 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

UPDATE 4.5: They just waltzed in like it was their birthday and the alate and queen welcomed them like it was their birthday. I now have a 4-gyne colony. This is all going so smoothly.

#32 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 22 2023 - 7:04 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

UPDATE 4.99: The Tetra bicar queens fought for a little bit. The new queen attacked one of the queens from the previous colony. However, the alate and the other queen were showing no aggression. I know that in tetra bicar, the more queens the better, so I simply left them and hoped that the alate and the other queen would sort it out. Thank god when I came back the newbie had stopped attacking the queen she had picked before. All four queens are together, and I am seeing eggs, which means they got comfortable. I have seen the queens lay several times as I checked on them, so that's a good sign. They have picked their own little spot. On Christmas, I will feed them. Hopefully (and probably because of the newbie queen being very active) when I give them their Christmas present (jelly cups) they will actually eat it instead of simply ignoring it. I will continue to monitor the situation. So far, it is looking very good.

• rptraut likes this

#33 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 22 2023 - 9:47 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
Jesse try and find which ones are the new ones, and which ones are from the mature colony. I really don’t think that you should mix two queens from a mature colony with two queens that flew recently. Since the mature colony will already have dominant pheromones over the alates. Also, the reaction you saw between both alates was most likely them feeding eachother, was ones head like tilted to the side to let the other queen feed it?
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#34 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 22 2023 - 10:00 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
btw, you should try leaving them alone for like a week and maybe have a red film over them so that they are still visible, but they think that they are in the dark.

Edited by AsdinAnts, December 22 2023 - 10:00 PM.

Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#35 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 22 2023 - 10:01 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
can you also post a picture of your new setup for them?
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#36 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 23 2023 - 10:05 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX

Jesse try and find which ones are the new ones, and which ones are from the mature colony. I really don’t think that you should mix two queens from a mature colony with two queens that flew recently. Since the mature colony will already have dominant pheromones over the alates. Also, the reaction you saw between both alates was most likely them feeding eachother, was ones head like tilted to the side to let the other queen feed it?

No, the queen was grabbing onto the other one's mandibles. Also, they were standing tall and almost looked like the "kickboxing" of Iridomyrmex purpureus, just using the antennae as the kickboxing parts. And it is very easy to tell apart the mature queens and new ones, as one of the new ones has wings still and the mature queens are slightly but still visibly darker. Also, I've heard Tetra bicar does not care about light. I decided on putting them together because just like Linepithema humile, these ants are 1. very welcoming to others of their species and 2. almost strictly polygynous and the more queens the better. I simply put them in the alate's tube, as they are no longer with workers. So far, it is looking good, and the queens have already laid some eggs, which most likely means they have settled in. If anything starts to even get slightly more aggressive, such as opening mandibles and rearing at the others, I will separate them and try again. But for now, I will keep them in the same test tube for better founding and colony conditions.

#37 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 23 2023 - 12:09 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
alr, I wanna see some tetra bicar workers of (your) their own. I hope this colony grows to be one of the strongest.
you better help them grow to be stronger then AntsCanadas marauder ants! 🐜
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#38 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 23 2023 - 7:48 PM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
Oh and speaking of, here's a message from our alate.

"Dear AsdinAnts,

AntsCanada's marauder ant colony is NOTHING to me. Soon enough, he'll be dreaming about if his marauder ants could grow to be as strong as JesseTheAntKid's Tetramorium bicarinatum. As for Jesse himself, I see him as a benevolent caretaker, even if he screws up by introducing a rogue queen. I had to do a LOT of talking to get her to stop ripping off another queen's leg. She is savage, I tell you, and she will be a valuable asset to our Empire. Queen Solis can do all the talking she wants in the heavens, I'll be here ensuring my Empire grows and lives forever. Long live the Tetra warriors.

From, Her Majesty Queen Tetrana."

#39 Offline AsdinAnts - Posted December 23 2023 - 8:17 PM

AsdinAnts

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 229 posts
oh? the tetras have some beef with the marauder ants 👀
Currently keeping
-A. occidentalis
-B. patagonicus
-F. neogagates
-M. invidia
-Stennama spec..

#40 Offline JesseTheAntKid - Posted December 24 2023 - 7:52 AM

JesseTheAntKid

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 207 posts
  • LocationHouston TX
UPDATE 5: This is not so much about the ants themselves but about their new home. Guess who just built a formicarium.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users